I've been out of the loop for years. Need an ATX case

It's been nearly a decade since I've built a full ATX system. It's been laptops, mATX, or ITX for me.

But, thanks to some really great luck, I just got a system from work that I'm free to use. But, it's evident that when it was built 7 years ago, it was over specced and half-assed in its build.

i7 3930k w/ Corsair AIO heatsink. I think the radiator is probably 2x120.
Asus P9X79 WS motherboard
8x8GB PC-3200
Samsung 840 Evo 1TB
Quadro 2000
Tesla C2075
DVD burner
Seasonic 1200W PSU
Corsair Master case (some version from 2012)

The thing is huge, and unnecessarily large. I'm swapping out the nVidia stuff for an RX580 that was on sale. Should be fine for my WUXGA/60Hz gaming.

I'd like to swap out the case with something smaller. The last time I built a small ATX case was back in ye olden Lian Li / CoolerMaster ATC days. I've built an mATX system at work with a Fractal Design that hid the PSU. Cable management was great, and if I actually were a window person, it was definitely one to show off.

This one isn't, and probably won't be, but I would like to hide all the cable mess in another section of the case if possible.

Are there any good cases people would recommend? It seems aluminum has gone by the wayside. And I know my radiator needs will limit me...but I want to downsize what I can. No front CD needed, or wanted.

The x79ws is a

CEB Form Factor (bigger than standard atx, smaller than e-atx)
12 inch x 10.5 inch ( 30.48 cm x 26.67 cm )

You can find some mid atx cases that it'll fit in, but that's the smallest I know of.

Last edited:
I went with a Haf XB Evo for my current build because it gave me more room in general especially under my desk. (My other case was too big unfortunately) If you have huge coolers and massive amounts of large components it may not work but i did manage to get all my new stuff into it. :)

haf-xb-evo-dimensions.jpg

NZXT switch 810 or Phantom will get you the job done. These are pretty good cases and will fit all your needs.

Back