I've asked this guestion before.........

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
And all I got was guesses and BS.

It's very simple -

Network consists of computer A and computer B.

From computer A I can ping computer B. I can remote into computer B. I can connect manually to shares on Computer B.

But Windows Explorer does not see computer B. Maybe after a period of time computer B will magically appear in Windows Explorer and maybe it won't.

So my question is.....

What needs to happen for computer B to show up in Windows Explorer?

I get the same results in reverse also.

There are more computers on the network but the above applies irregardless.

It is not a connectivity issue. as stated above, I can ping computer B and I can also remote into it.

So what can the problem be?

TIA

There is no way you can get stright answer (and not 'BS' as you call it) as to why this happens. It happens to all versions of Windows since "version 1". It's the discovery function that is glitchy. It happens to almost everyone in the world using Windows.
I got sick of this and disabled SMB1/CIFS long ago (SMB1 is also more vulnerable) and don't rely on this discovery. Know your machines and that's it.

Could be firewall in windows. Could be firewall in router. Could be AV or anti-malware in windows. Could be windows just being retarded.

Could be some other application from a web plugin. So many could be's.

There is no way you can get stright answer (and not 'BS' as you call it) as to why this happens. It happens to all versions of Windows since "version 1". It's the discovery function that is glitchy. It happens to almost everyone in the world using Windows.
I got sick of this and disabled SMB1/CIFS long ago (SMB1 is also more vulnerable) and don't rely on this discovery. Know your machines and that's it.

This makes sense. Thank you.

I had this issue a while back and found there was something wrong with the Workstation Service along with SMB1/CIFS. I restarted the workstation service after doing what tedych advised to do and I was able to see shares on other machines again.

I had this issue a while back and found there was something wrong with the Workstation Service along with SMB1/CIFS. I restarted the workstation service after doing what tedych advised to do and I was able to see shares on other machines again.

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Back