Ive about had it with Far Cry

kre62

Limp Gawd
The fuckin game will just not run consistently smooth. Am I the only one seeing this? I can't stand it. The image quality of the game is somewhat good somewhat bad. Certain things are aliased beyond control, and turning AA on dosent fix it. Ill get 80FPS one minute and 21 the next. It's bullshit. I understand that I'm running it compleately maxed out, but I run plenty of other games maxed with no problem, most notable CS:S and Doom3. Do the people who have finished the game actually just put up with this shit? I have had the game since it came out, and still have yet to get past the fort level as I was "waiting until it ran well" to play it. That included building a new 2K game machine and waiting for 1.3 patch. Does anyone have suggestions?

-Athlon64 3500+
-GF 6800Ultra
-2gb Corsair Ram
-Audigy 2 ZS
-Asus A8V

Settings:
1600x1200
16X AF
SM 3.0
No AA

I shouldnt have to reduce any of them chief, and Ive tried all settings possible.

> shouldnt have to reduce any of them chief,

Why not? You think games shouldn't be made to scale onto future hardware? You have some kind of "divine right" to be able to run at full settings and at screen refresh rates?

It's simple. Put the settings where they give you the performance you want.

Holy shit are you serious? Ive seen plenty of other people with lesser systems who are running this game at these specs. My question is: Have they found some magic way to run the game satisfactorily, or are they just taking it up the ass in performance and accepting it. No more reduce the settings drama posts please.

Your system should handle that game with no problems. If it's not to your satisfaction, wait another year and try again. I think you're being too picky.

Stereophile said:
Your system should handle that game with no problems. If it's not to your satisfaction, wait another year and try again. I think you're being too picky.

agreed.

Make sure that you have the latest drivers (video, bios, sound).

I also noticed a big boost in performance after installing XP SP2 on my machine.

And if all that fails, resort to patience. :D

maybe you're not good enough to beat it. keep practicing.

just kidding. every level ran great on my machine and I ran it on the same settings with the hardware in my sig.

A lot of people greatly exaggerate how smooth the game runs on their system at high resolution. Also, people have different ideas of what's considered smooth.

kre62 said:
The fuckin game will just not run consistently smooth. Am I the only one seeing this? I can't stand it. The image quality of the game is somewhat good somewhat bad. Certain things are aliased beyond control, and turning AA on dosent fix it. Ill get 80FPS one minute and 21 the next. It's bullshit. I understand that I'm running it compleately maxed out, but I run plenty of other games maxed with no problem, most notable CS:S and Doom3. Do the people who have finished the game actually just put up with this shit? I have had the game since it came out, and still have yet to get past the fort level as I was "waiting until it ran well" to play it. That included building a new 2K game machine and waiting for 1.3 patch. Does anyone have suggestions?

-Athlon64 3500+
-GF 6800Ultra
-2gb Corsair Ram
-Audigy 2 ZS
-Asus A8V

Settings:
1600x1200
16X AF
SM 3.0
No AA

very strange...Im running damn near the exact same fear (I only have 1 GB ram) and asus v9999 gamers edition and I have no problems whatso ever...everything runs smooth...mind you I have only played it for a grand total of 4-5 hours (just go it)...awesome game for sure.....

I doubt anyone will be able to convince you of this chief, but it sounds like you've got some problem either with your system hardware or with the game software/drivers etc... I haven't experience any problems like you're suggesting and my system isn't as high-end as yours. XP 3200, 6800 GT, 1gb Kingston HyperX. I don't run with everything maxed out, but most of it is.

1600*1200 is kind of redundant. try bringing it down to like 1280*1024. still very high yet not at max setting, if that smoothens things out then you know its a cap on your harware, if lowering the settings doesnt help smoothen the gameplay out then you have a problem with your hardware/software configuration. completely uninstall, reboot and install the latest and greatest drivers which should work.

i understand why you think you should be able to run at 16*12 with everything turned on after spending 2k on a machine, but then again if you upgraded by spending 2k on a system just to play this game at full res, well then.....

First of all, calm down and stop taking a hissy-fit.

Second of all, maybe it is just a driver issue of some kind or it is killing your RAM?

FarCry is a game that viciously goes after RAM, even if you have 1GB.

Also, believe it or not, I've heard that having 2GB of ram can cause "problems" in games since your PC doesnt need to "use that much".

Sounds stupid, I KNOW, but that is what I've heard..........

Just chill out, and maybe then we will be able to help you. :)

OK, you are running 16x AF, that's going to be a bit of a strain on the video card. Cut it back to 8x and you should notice some improvement in speed, and little to no decrease in visual quality. The textures just aren't that high quality and the engine's optimizations are working against you getting crisper images at 16x.

As for the aliasing, lots of the foliage uses transparency for bits rather than geometry. AA only takes care of the edges of geometry, not aliasing in the textures themselves.

I also suspect that your expectations of smooth are too high. I get smooth gameplay, but I'm playign at 1280x1024 rather than 1600x1200 I'm running 4xAA 4xAF have geometry instancing on and sprite replacement ratio at 100. All settings are at very high, not ultra or custom. I get smooth gameplay, but there are places it IS going to dip low, no matter what. It appears the engine just chugs when you move from a shader heavy indoor area to a geometry heavy outdoor area. If that ruins it for you, sell your copy, because that isn't going away.

With your setup, try running 1280x1024 with the options set by clicking the very hgh setting tab under advanced video and see what framerates you get. If it still isn't smooth then, you may have something up with your system (BTW, this isn't telling you to run at those settings, just test, your system should be capable of making that run smoothly with the exception of the indoor/outdoor transitions and the apparantly new nvidia sound loading hiccup).

Chubz said:
Also, believe it or not, I've heard that having 2GB of ram can cause "problems" in games since your PC doesnt need to "use that much".

That was an issue with Win9x. 2000/XP don't have this problem.

I play the game with satisfactory speed...this is a very detailed game that is indeed going to scale well with upcoming hardware....they are pushing the current performance envelope pretty hard, kudos to Krytek. Yes, the game has some issues, but what games DOESN'T? But nothing that will ruin the game...

This is what I play at in SP and MP with my current rig (see the specs in my sig below)..

-ATI control panel AA and AF set to "application preference"
-ATI control panel image settings to "quality"

In game settings:
-resolution 1024x768
-AA to 4x
-AF to 8x
-Advanced options: everything to VERY HIGH except water to MEDIUM and shadows to HIGH.

This gives me framerates varying from Carrier lows of 35fps or so up to 90's-100's indoors...if you can make the Carrier level play smooth then the rest of the game will be good to go. I am an old school FPS gamer and find it hard to accept frame rates lower than 40 but with these newer games I just have to if you want high IQ....

Of course this is on my XT PE modded card but still a 6800GT or Ultra should be able to run fairly close to these settings...

I think ALOT of people fudge about how smooth a game runs...not to mention everyone's idea of what is "fast enough" varies. I CAN play this game at 1600x1200 with 2x fsaa and 4x af but it just gets toooo sloooow in certain maps and situations to be enjoyable...

I've never had an uber-machine, but I sprung for a 6800GT, and I have a 2500+ Barton. I play with most stuff on "very high", but at 1024x768 (with my aging, small 17" monitor) and if there are dips, well, that's life, and the price I pay for trying to have something left over for my daughter's college fund. Because I've compromised so often on upgrades, I think I've gotten used to dips in fps that frustrate other people who can spend a virtually unlimtied amount on their machine and are always used to running at 100fps. They just don't bother me, and Far Cry I think runs great on my machine.

Most of you are still showing AA settings, but I turned mine off for the 1.3 patch to get HDR and I like it--I know some people don't. For some reason, I didn't have to restart my 1.2 campaign . . . not sure why.

You know, some of the dipping problems may just be coding. Every time I've done a significant upgrade to my system, I re-install X-Wing: Alliance to see if it eliminates the dip you get in game when a large cruiser comes into view. It never does.

the problem is between the chair and the keyboard.

MGHZ.jpg

lol to above ,

have u check ur refresh rate ? that can sometimes cause problems specially if ur monitor sucks and cant handle 16 12. maybe a slow or dieing hdd. it seems to be more software related to me. i suggest full format and updated drivers.

or ur just really picky. and if its that , wah wah wah wah

kre62 said:

-Athlon64 3500+
-GF 6800Ultra
-2gb Corsair Ram
-Audigy 2 ZS
-Asus A8V

Settings:
1600x1200
16X AF
SM 3.0
No AA

what driver version are you using?

you could be having the same problem others are experiencing with 66.xx driver verisions and Patch 1.3: http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Njc4LDM= and http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=824445

Settings are too high... chief. :p

Interesting reaction to the truth. Like said you may just be able to lower aniso and be fine... so hop to it instead of dissing advice. Sounds like you want SLI or something. Read the reviews before spending 2K on your machine. Can't play farcry at 1600*1200 with 16x aniso? welcome to the club.... chief^2.

I always considered FARCRY the system killer. Programmers over at Crytek are geniouses but not game gods like Carmack at iD. They don't know how to optimize the code well enough for everyone.

But I would check to make sure you have a static swap set. Preferably on an alternate drive or partition. Even with your 2GB, it'd be best to leave a set size of around 3.0GB on your drive somewhere. Even 1GB may be fine. Also, visit www.blackviper.com. Kill all unneeded processes in the background. And make sure you have the least amount of processes and most amount of memory available when you play.

Also, try turning off fast-writes in the bios. For some chipsets, the videocards just perform better with them off. I recommend 128MB Aperture Size. That seems to give me the best performance.

And if this doesn't work, try an format/reinstall. It's always a fresh feeling when you start back from 0 without your registry being filthy with driver uninstalls/reinstalls.

Most importantly, don't forget that people spend thousands more on their "dream" systems than you have on your system. It'd be nice to play everything at the max in everygame you own, but that just won't happen unless you are spending more than 5k on your system...

Is it worth it? I guess if you got the money to wipe your ass with. For me, fuck it.. it's not all about the craziest graphics at the sickest FPS, but the enjoyment and experience of the game. FARCRY has it.. you should give it a chance at lower settings....

PS.

Tweaktown.com has a great FARCRY tweaking guide. You should check it out, too!

My farcry runs smoothly, no hiccups at all and I run at 1920x1200 high settings, with sm3.0. With the settings in my sig...

Chubz said:

God damn, I hope this is not true...

yes the 1.3 patch is out, im using it so i can use HDR :D

FarCry0052.jpg

theres proof, and the studdering problem was on the 66.81 driver set, i use the 66.70's and its pertty smooth at 1156x864 8xAF (cant use aa or else HDR doesnt work) and im clocked at ultra speeds

MeTaSpARKs said:
But I would check to make sure you have a static swap set. Preferably on an alternate drive or partition. Even with your 2GB, it'd be best to leave a set size of around 3.0GB on your drive somewhere. Even 1GB may be fine. Also, visit www.blackviper.com.

First of all, a three gig swap file is just ridiculous. With two gigs of ram, you can run with no swap file at all. Hell, with one gig, you can run with no swap file. I'd definately not set it for any more than 512 megs.

Second, please take anything quackviper says with a grain of salt. He's helped quite a few people hose their systems.

t. shuffle said:
First of all, a three gig swap file is just ridiculous. With two gigs of ram, you can run with no swap file at all. Hell, with one gig, you can run with no swap file. I'd definately not set it for any more than 512 megs.

Second, please take anything quackviper says with a grain of salt. He's helped quite a few people hose their systems.

and lemme guess most of them were n00bs.

his advice has helped me tweak my system in the past without any problems

well i have almost the same setup except for the 2 gig of ram and i have a 3200+ clawhammer which i clocked a tiny bit pasted 3400+ with 277 htt.... i played it at 1600x1200 2xaa and 8xaf and it ran pretty good.. not as fast as i wanted it to run though.. but i found the most playable settings was 1280x960 2x aa and 4x af... and the diff between 1600x1200 and 1280x960 is hardly noticable imo... and you'd get a huge performance hit with 1600x1200.. so anyways yeah like someone else suggested.. the 16xaf is wut's really slowing ur card down put it to 8x or even 4x and you should be fine.. or wait till next year when the new cards come out and maybe you'll get to run it at the specs you want :)

texuspete00 said:
Settings are too high... chief. :p

Interesting reaction to the truth. Like said you may just be able to lower aniso and be fine... so hop to it instead of dissing advice. Sounds like you want SLI or something. Read the reviews before spending 2K on your machine. Can't play farcry at 1600*1200 with 16x aniso? welcome to the club.... chief^2.

Ya you like that terminology, bitch? J/k thanks to everyone who replied. I am feeling a little better seeing more people admit that their rigs do not play this game OMGSMUUUTH at all times whatsoever at these settings, which seemed to be what I was seeing. I'm going to use driver cleaner and re-install the 61-77 Omegas probably. It just frustrates me sometimes that no matter what games always slow down it seems. Can't these programmers get this together? I guess 'll just play Id software and source based games because those are the only engines that are smooth almost 100% of the time. It just pisses me off and makes me wonder why I PC game. When the next gen consoles come out, I'll have a hard time justifying continueing to upgrade the PC at huge cost when I can just hook up my PS3 to my 55" HDTV.

Sorry it was tweak guides...

http://www.tweakguides.com/Farcry_1.html

Thats the new 1.3 tweak guide people.

As for BlackViper.. I do not think the n00bs go there.. there is an immense amount of information this guy has made available to the public and those who think they don't have something to learn from his site are just too arrogant and ignorant for their own good.

As for the 3 GB swap file, I was going on the 1.5x times your ram rule. I know 2GB is a lot of ram to have and almost in no need of a swap, but there are some games out there that REQUIRE a swap file to run correctly. Even with 1024 MB of ram, I still have 1024MB of a _STATIC_ swap to help deal with any problems that may occur in the background without me knowing.

Best of luck to you all.

try playing farcry on a console

better yet, try any FPS game on a console w/ no keyboard and mouse (and those that do have keyboard support suck ass)

ill trade u a PS3 (when they come out) for ur PC :D

Ya dude, thats a good deal (wtf). I'll have to let you know what kind of features the PS3 has when I see it at E3 next year.

Hell ya this thread is linked from the front page. Thats what I'm talking about.

MeTaSpARKs said:
Even with your 2GB, it'd be best to leave a set size of around 3.0GB on your drive somewhere.
BS...

My swapfile min/max is set at 64MB. If Windows wants more then tough shit.

t. shuffle said:
I also don't see how Black Viper has helped "people hose their systems". Doesn't he have disclaimers on his site as well as warnings to back up your registry? I've found his information pretty helpful and I haven't killed my system with his information. Maybe some users are complete retards.

Back