ITX water cooling noobie

Outlaw85

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking to get some info about the loop I want to make.

I'm taking the advice of the members here who said I should leave my H80i alone and do a full custom loop.

Build-
8GB DDR3 1600
500GB WD RE3
GTX 660 SC
430W PSU
Fractal 304

Loop
477K and 660 SC

Parts on hand already
--1x 120mm Coolgate Radiator
or
--1x 2/140mm Coolgate Radiator
--EK Full cover 660 WB
--MCP355 Pump
-Small cylinder reservoir

Needed-
Barbs (7/16 ready to order)
Tubing (7/16 ready to order)
cpu block (XSPC Raystorm (red led) ready to order)

Questions;
1. Will the tubing diameter matter in this small of a loop? (3/8, 7/16, 1/2)
2. Should I invest the extra money for 45/90 degree elbows?
3. Will either radiator option be enough cooling for overclocking, or even stock for that matter? (currently the H80i keeps the 4770k under 75c @ 4.2Ghz)

I am new to custom wc loops and overclocking. I have dabbled in OC with my old E6600 and Q9450 but the H50 wasn't up for much. The tools in the new boards make it much more user friendly.

Plans;
--Radiator- Coolgate 280 (2x140mm)
--Case- I plan to expand the openings on the sides of the 304 and open the top to fit the Coolgate 280 (2x140mm).
--CPU block- I was looking to use the XSPC Raystorm (red led),
--Tubing- I was thinking red or going clear and just doing distilled with red food color (research is making me think just red though).
--Reservoir- Somehow above pump, possible red led. Used for top off and drain

How well do you think this would work and is there anything I should consider. With the CPU block, tubing and barbs, would this be a good combo for this loop?

Wonderful paint render of loop idea
sytsuc.png

Thank you,
Outlaw

Last edited:
Pick up a few 90 degree angles. I would recommend 3/8" tubing. The primochill tubing is really soft and bends well.

The rest looks okay though.

Thanks.

And I only ask because I can get it cheaper. Would the 7/16 hurt me any? Would it just be bends I might have issues with? I will definitely get some 45 and 90 bends though. It will probably help make it look cleaner too.

I assume I should go with the 2x140 Rad, is there any guess what I might be able to see performance wise?

Thanks for the quick reply!
Outlaw

Ok, so not doing larger dia. tubing. fittings and tubing was not purchased. Looking at 3/8id-1/2od

Here is new mock-up after doing some loose layout.
x44ylx.png

Unfortunately, I have to lose the res unless I can find a place to mount on its side. The dimensions are pretty tight at 7"(H)x12.25"(D)x8.5"(W)

I will get the mock-up pics posted tomorrow.

Also, I am looking at the Raystorm as first choice CPU block. I have not purchased, If there is a better one out there for $50 or Less. I would definitely consider

Any thoughts on this loop setup? Will the loop be efficient for oc?

Thanks,
Outlaw

Last edited:
Back