ITX tower-style case w/ horizontal PSU mount?

raymondo

Limp Gawd
Does anyone know an ITX case in a Lian Li PC-Q11ish style having the PSU mounted in the roof or at least horizontally? Roof with mesh to pay tribute to stack effect can still be modded.

I have this fully passive PSU (Seasonic X400-FL) flying around in my room on little wings of silence and power and still I wonder if there'd be any good ITX case allowing the PSU to be mounted in the roof (e.g. just like in the Sugo SG05). Most ITX cases have the PSUs mounted in a vertical way or somewhere in the case (e.g. Lian Li PC-Q11, Fractal 304) which is a bit unfortunate for full passive PSUs generating a lot of heat I guess.
See picture for reference to see what I mean and need (used all of my Paint skills, note the case feet):
Cn63API.png

Abstracted Q11 with removed ODD.

Raymondo

My first design was like that until I wanted to share the airspace intake for the PSU and GPU which shaved off about 10mm from the case height.

You could turn it upside down though, to get your version I guess.

Thanks for your input. I monitor your thread closely and really like the idea of it and your use of space but for this PSU I'd need a horizontal mount in the roof, otherwise temperatures would probably get to high.
Upon strolling through the web I found this which is just lacking the hole in the roof: Cubitek U2. It's a branded Jonsbo sold by German distributors. They also sell a windowed version, might be worth a try.

However, any other ideas anyone? ;)

Heh.. I totally missed the point of your PSU being ATX. Sorry.
The U2 will probably the best option you can get.. I'd have taken that case if it was 50mm less wide - just right for your ATX PSU.

If one was a bit clever about that intake 120mm case fan mount you could have 2 there that would suck in air from the side panels more tightly (needs some alu plate + some mod of the old mount to get better airflow).
There should be about 60mm of space to play with (enough for 25mm thick fans and a 25mm airgap to feed air to them from the side).

Hrm, my only grief with the U2 (very cool looking) is "VGA cards up to a length of 220 mm", that's less than 9" and that's a problem these days.

only a problem if you want the latest biggest card there is.. you can fit a GTX 760/670 in the U2.

So far I didn't see anyone come up with a convincing mITX 'tower' design that can fit 10"+ GPUs, besides the SS Fortress things, where the cables come out at the top.

Maybe something that involves riser cards/ribbon cables would work.. but as I don't need it I won't be designing it.

Or someone like Asus does make a GTX 780 with the voltage regulation/conversion circuitry 'outsourced' on a backpack PCB so that the overall length comes in at 180mm - triple slot even?
I can imagine that, but if it will sell, no idea.

Back