ITX Motherboards and RAID 5

POLO

Limp Gawd
So I have been trying to read up on components to build a SFF NAS to replace my current NAS which resides in a tower case.

I really have wanted to do this: http://www.mashie.org/casemods/udat2.html

But when reading reviews for the Thecus N4100 and N4100+ (didn't find any helpful reviews for the N4100+) I noticed Tomshardware.com Review on Thecus N4100 with a 600 MHz ITX motherboard was stating it was not powerful enough for large data transfers.

My maximum transfer might be a 8GB movie, and I wish to stream a movie (with no other traffic on the network). That is teh maximum demand I wish to get out of my little NAS.

I have a dedicated box right now and it does the job well, but not great and takes up double the space.

Any suggestions or links to more literature on ITX motherboards and RAID 5 systems hope be a huge help!!! Thanks again guys for helping me

Thanks for linking to that work log, thing looks cool.
Hope yours turns out well, I have no ITX experience so I can't help :/

If you read the Toms hardware review, it is the fact that the cpu is doing the XOR calcs for the RAID 5 setup that cause the issue, if you have a dedicated SATA RAID card which handles the calcs then you will have no issue at all with a mini-itx board. Anyway even if your 8GB file was a very high quality 1.5 hour movie - that is about 1.4 Mb/S i.e. 11MB/S so within the scope of performance for streaming.

I have an itx machine with software raid 5 and it streams media w/o any problems. :)

Back