ITX motherboard - how to reach beyond user interface

dom23

n00b
I've inherited a project from a deceased co-worker on an ITX motherboard who did not leave behind much notes. The only interaction with the computer is via web server (lots of php, 192.168.1.nn address) and via tablet (USB connection), both of which bring up in essence a web page. However, I would like to connect to the underlying Linux operating system, to at least be able to access its Terminal.
Does anyone know how to do this or can point me in the right direction?

Assuming there's no boot time security (or that you've got the credentials), you'll probably want to use a keyboard and monitor to break in on the console.

I used to add init=/bin/bash to the kernel command line in the bootloader to get started with a root shell, then you remount the root drive read-write and reset the root password and enable sshd or whatever else you need. These days, you may need to use a rescue disk, because booting is a lot weirder than it used to be.

Last edited:
May have to boot from ISO and mount the volumes to wipe the password too. Assuming it's not encrypted.

Rebooting, a AAEON UEFI bios image flashes before immediately loading the web page. Not sure where to intervene to seize back control.

Below is an image, the white button I'm holding functions as a power button.

EDIT: Pressing F2 repeatedly on boot-up delays startup but doesn't seem to do anything else.

New Edit: Pressing Escape leads me to a BIOS menu (Aptio Setup Utility 2013)

Attachments

• IMG_20210615_112835.jpg
    IMG_20210615_112835.jpg
    429 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
do you have any login info for it? I assume you could SSH into it if you have a username and password.

Back