ITX build and Pico PSU Advice please

koolpc

Weaksauce
Guys, i want to build a small ITX system. Now, thing is, what Pico PSU would suffice for:

A10-7850K
Gigabyte F2A88XN-WIFI Mobo, mini
8GB 2400 Ram.
256GB SSD.

No Dedicated GPU. No DVDrw.

I want to build a system into a case like this:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/strea...ys-mini-itx-co

Now,i will do some occasional gaming but not much and not demanding stuff so that is why i dont need a dedicated GPU.

Would i be able to run the above on a pico PSU and if so,which one?

Thanks

That CPU got a tdp of 95W. 110 total system power is not sufficient, go with the 160W pico.

160w would be enough to cover the whole system?

And then some, I run a 3770K plus GT 750Ti card off of an hdplex 160W, can take prime 95 plus kombustor torture tests running at the same time no issues.

What about this spec, would it run on a Pico 160W PSU as the case i like is tiny:

Intel Core i5-6400 2.70GHz (Skylake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - Retail

Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI Intel Z170 (Socket 1151) DDR4 Mini ITX Motherboard

TeamGroup Elite 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C16 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit

F1CWS Evo Chassis

I will be using an SSD which i have and an external USB DVD drive. No Dedicated GPU as onboard is all i need.

Last edited:
That chassis is really, really good. I had it once and only returned it due to some unpleasant marks on the back (nitpicky, I know) but it's really well made.
You also won't have any problem powering that build with a decent 160w PicoPSU but not the Streacom one. German website Computerbase tested it back in 2013 and found nearly anything good to mention about it.

Guys, i want to build a small ITX system. Now, thing is, what Pico PSU would suffice for:

A10-7850K
8GB 2400 Ram.
256GB SSD.

Now,i will do some occasional gaming but not much and not demanding stuff so that is why i dont need a dedicated GPU.

Thanks

i have a 7850k + asrock A88X itx on a 160XT pico + 200w brick. you would be fine

That chassis is really, really good. I had it once and only returned it due to some unpleasant marks on the back (nitpicky, I know) but it's really well made.
You also won't have any problem powering that build with a decent 160w PicoPSU but not the Streacom one. German website Computerbase tested it back in 2013 and found nearly anything good to mention about it.

Sorry,but you mean they didnt find anything good about it? What did they say as i cannot read German. Ta

Sorry,but you mean they didnt find anything good about it? What did they say as i cannot read German. Ta

The test that was linked was not that positive about the PSU, I'll just translate the "Final Thoughts" section for you:

"Our expectations about Pico-PSUs were high, especially because of numerous positive user reviews: Good measurement data, high efficiency and passive cooling, in short a pricey, but luxurious solution for supplying your HTPC with power.

After testing the Nano 150, our euphoria is pretty much gone for now, because this unit has shown stark deficiencies.

One major point is a missing spec sheet. Shipping a PSU without a load table is reckless and provokes misuse. An open communication should be natural in this business.

The next problem is the full load stability - our Nano 150 couldn't handle the 150W load scenario and supplies low voltages on the +12V rail. More than 130W could not be supplied by the unit.
At least the residual ripple was within tolerance, even though the +5V rail came close to failing that test as well.

We hoped for a higher efficiency as well. While the PSU was indeed rather efficient under low load, regular ATX PSUs are the better choice at medium and high loads.
Additionally, the Nano 150 does not comply with the ErP-Standards in terms of standby power draw, it draws almost double the amount that's allowed.

Breaking the -12V line completely was our fault to a certain extent, but 0,15A are just half of what regular ATX PSUs can supply, and with a missing spec sheet, we had no way of knowing what its actual limits were.

The cooling concept isn't something to write home about either. While the PSU lacks active cooling and doesn't have any coil whine, our heat images show extreme thermals on the converter module.

Pico-PSUs in general may have their advantages, but this product could not satisfy at all. When you're not in need of a compact power converter, regular ATX units are a better choice. You get very interesting PSUs for ~90€, even the 30-40€ price range offers acceptable solutions.
We will continue our search for a convincing, compact alternative on occasion. It's quite possible that good Pico-PSUs are out there, but the Nano 150 is not one of them."

Right, i see.

I would be getting the 160W Pico anyway with 200w brick

The case itself had no negative review?

Not that I know of. Streacom makes some really good cases. I think they're sold under another name in the US but I'm not quite sure.
Here are some reviews of the F1CWS Evo as well as F1C Evo (w/ ODD). Danish website tweak.dk rates the F1CWS a 8/10. German website overclockingstation reviewed the F1C Evo and complains about the lack of cable management options and that the case gets quite warm when gaming but praises it otherwise. Both Todohtpc and techstation like the F1C Evo but that's all I could gather from their websites. I don't have a clue what they're talking about apart from that.

Edit: company name in the US might be Wesena but maybe that's just who is really building them (like with Jonsbo and Rosewill and Cooltek).

A10-7850K
8GB 2400 Ram.
256GB SSD.

Thanks
I run the following off a Pico 160:
Core i3-2100 using iGPU
2x 3.5" drives
SSD
DVD R/RW
8GB DDR3

Not sure how the A10 is power wise, but I have to imagine if I can run my system from a pico you can too.

lol see I was way late with my info, looks like you know what you need.

Well, thinking of this spec in the Streacom with a 160w Pico, will it be fine:

A10-7870K

MSI A88XI AC V2

16GB DDR3 1600

SSD 256GB DRIVE

Will the 160w be fine with these components? Ta

Back