iTunes Store Dropping Windows Vista and XP Support on May 25th

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Apple has stated on a support page post that it will be dropping support for Windows Vista, XP, and the first generation of Apple TV on May 25th. Apple states that on Vista and XP machines, you will still be able to use older versions of iTunes without support, however you will not be able to make any purchases from the store.

Apple is more blunt about the 1st generation Apple TV, stating that "Security changes will prevent Apple TV (1st generation) from using the iTunes Store. This device is an obsolete Apple product and will not be updated to support these security changes."

The news about Vista and XP isn't really that surprising, however I would think that Apple would support one of it's own first party products a little better than this.

Last edited:
Not that I have iTunes installed on any older machines.. but YAY! No more nag popups to download updates AND try to get me to install other Apple programs at the same time.

I used iTunes on Windows back in 2010 to 2012 for an iPod Touch. I hated it with a passion. Everything seemed to involve jumping through hoops. Did iTunes on Windows ever get any better? Not that I'm in any hurry to try it again.

I used iTunes on Windows back in 2010 to 2012 for an iPod Touch. I hated it with a passion. Everything seemed to involve jumping through hoops. Did iTunes on Windows ever get any better? Not that I'm in any hurry to try it again.

Thats anything Apple my friend, "so simple you won't be able to figure it out"

Last edited:
My Rig for my 3 axis CNC uses winXP and iTunes hasn’t really worked on XP for some time. You can’t use Apple Music, can’t download or see purchases you have made, and you can’t login to your account information.

The funny thing? I dropped my support of iTunes about 6-7 years ago. So, I guess we're even?

I'm "thinging" that it's amazing they're supporting them at all.
Ironically its Apple, Google, Valve, Mozilla, Adobe, every videogame developer, etc that support previous Windows versions longer than Microsoft does their own OS.

MS used to have a live and let live policy about users on previous Windows versions, now it's outward hostility with desperate measures like crippling CPU and chipset support on 7 and 8.1, slowing down updates on 7 to the point it could take windows update 24hrs or more, etc.

Last edited:
good news. now they only need to drop
Windows 7
Windows 8
Windows 8.1
Windows 10

You cant exactly blame them for not supporting xp now when even its makers dont support it.

I dont know when apple tv came out but they should still support it with at the minimum security updates.

I am slowly untangling myself from the giant apple web that I seem to be caught in.
Cancelled apple music, started sending/saving stuff to dropbox instead of icloud, dont give two shit about my apple tv3 as I only bought it for netflix, but my smart tv’s replaced it years ago, so I am basically trying to gtfo of apples domain as my love affair with them is long over, now am just trying to pick up the pieces.

I cant even remember the last time I used itunes, started using roon/jriver on pc and on ipad/iphone.

So yea, I am in the middle of a messy divorce.

It doesn't surprise me when programs or devices drop support for XP, but it does surprise me when they drop support for Vista since it is 99% the same as Windows 7.

It doesn't surprise me when programs or devices drop support for XP, but it does surprise me when they drop support for Vista since it is 99% the same as Windows 7.

Vista is no longer patched for security by Microsoft since April last year. The sooner software vendors end support for Vista the better, to give people an incentive to move off of an insecure platform.

IMHO it ought to be a crime to run an unpatched OS.

Ironically its Apple, Google, Valve, Mozilla, Adobe, every videogame developer, etc that support previous Windows versions longer than Microsoft does their own OS.

MS used to have a live and let live policy about users on previous Windows versions, now it's outward hostility with desperate measures like crippling CPU and chipset support on 7 and 8.1, slowing down updates on 7 to the point it could take windows update 24hrs or more, etc.

But you know, apart from games, when it comes to usefulness, you're dependent upon drivers, and peripheral manufacturers, together with Windows, stop supporting "connected things". I know because I own some of those perfectly good "connected things", but I have to use Linux instead of Windows because Windows and the manufacturer dropped support a long time ago (like 7 years ago, which probably gets a sigh today, but 7 years ago, many were quite angry).

I'm kinda surprised at Apple. They tend to drop support for anything over three years old.

I've converted what little from my iTunes library to MP3 and placed it on my Plex server.

Back