iTunes Server?

nitrobass24

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2009
I'm not sure if this is right place to ask but here we go....

I have a WHS box that i built and love. What I want to do is make it an iTunes server for all my PC's.....the idea here is that i can sync my ipod on any computer and get the same result, and be able to purchase music and it be on all my computers.....I just got my first iPod for Christmas so I don't know much about iTunes, other then I cant seem to be able to sync separate computers.

I have a desktop with a ton 8GB of music, and a laptop with like 1GB of music on it but i can have both synced up it seems.
Therefore my need for some sort of a consolidated setup that allows itunes to work with all my music and my pod from all my computers.

You can host your library on one computer and have all other computers view/play your library, but you can only make changes/sync from the host computer. No way around it, that I know of (unless you use some alternative to iTunes)

you might be able to do it on the other computers if you "authorize" them.. you are allowed 5 computers i think.
Look under the "advanced" tab in Itunes.
Oh also...now that Itunes is going DRM free, you will be able to play your music any where and not be tied to itunes......make sure if you buy your tracks from apple you buy the ones with the little plus sign + next to them...they are the DRM free tracks.

I have a MSS WHS box so it may be a little different but here's a way to set up your WHS box to be the primary location of your library instead.

I created an "iTunes" folder inside the shared music folder of my MSS. I then created a mapped drive out of the music share (I set it up as the M: drive). From there, you can go to iTunes->Edit->Preferences->Advanced and set your music folder to your iTunes folder (e.g. "M:\iTunes").

Lastly, go to iTunes->File->Library->Consolidate Library. iTunes will move all your files to the folder you selected in the previous steps, and will preserve all your playlists, etc.

This setup has the advantage of scaling better than using your local drive, better supporting devices in the Apple ecosystem (sync with iPod and Apple TV, stream to AirPort Express, etc.), and instantaneously storing your newly purchased content on the server instead of waiting for a local folder to get copied at a specified time interval.

My iTunes library is now accessed by 4 different PC's in the home and my PS3.

I have a MSS WHS box so it may be a little different but here's a way to set up your WHS box to be the primary location of your library instead.

I created an "iTunes" folder inside the shared music folder of my MSS. I then created a mapped drive out of the music share (I set it up as the M: drive). From there, you can go to iTunes->Edit->Preferences->Advanced and set your music folder to your iTunes folder (e.g. "M:\iTunes").

Lastly, go to iTunes->File->Library->Consolidate Library. iTunes will move all your files to the folder you selected in the previous steps, and will preserve all your playlists, etc.

This setup has the advantage of scaling better than using your local drive, better supporting devices in the Apple ecosystem (sync with iPod and Apple TV, stream to AirPort Express, etc.), and instantaneously storing your newly purchased content on the server instead of waiting for a local folder to get copied at a specified time interval.

How do you update the 4 different computers when something is added to the library?

Exactly what i was looking for.

How do you update the 4 different computers when something is added to the library?

Not sure what you mean. Everything is on the server. If you add a fnew song to the share it's done. when you fire up itunes on any of the "client" pc's it atoumatically is there in iTunes.

If you mean your iPOD... same as normal connect it to the pc launch itunes and sync.

Not sure what you mean. Everything is on the server. If you add a fnew song to the share it's done. when you fire up itunes on any of the "client" pc's it atoumatically is there in iTunes.

That's what i meant. I didn't know if all of the computers updated themselves automatically. i've been looking to do the same thing you have done, but just haven't had the time recently.

So, a follow-up question (which might be even more off topic.) is there any way that two separate user accounts can operate this way? i.e. My wife and I both buy songs from different itunes accounts. Sounds like I just need to cross-authorize everything?

I would consolidate IMO.

If you want 2 seperate accounts just create 2 different itunes folders and point each account to its respective folders. I would do this within each users folder (i.e. //server/users/name/itunes) then point to the itunes folder from each pc as a drive letter. Sounds sloppy but I think of another way to do it.

This is pretty much exactly what I'd like to do, so thanks for posting.

A few questions:

- iTunes installs without side effects on WHS PP1?

- which computer can you sync and iPod with? I understood - but have not tested a shared iTunes library yet - it could only be on the primary computer where the library is located?

- so you map a drive to iTunes library on WHS from each computer, correct?

- what's your procedure for adding new music to iTunes...use remote desktop into WHS from a client to run iTunes on WHS and copy the files there with iTunes running?

- any issues with speed (being all my computers are wirelessly connected to my home network, other than the WHS box, and an XBox I use to stream to my home theatre rig.

Thanks!

- iTunes installs without side effects on WHS PP1?

Yes I suppose you can but thats not what I expalined above. There is just a music folder on your WHS. no itunes. Itunes resides on the client pcs (the ones you want to play music/sync on) That is the PC you map the drive to whs music folder. once you pick the drive letter you just point that as your library for itunes.

- which computer can you sync and iPod with? I understood - but have not tested a shared iTunes library yet - it could only be on the primary computer where the library is located?

Any pc that has itunes and is on your home network.

- so you map a drive to iTunes library on WHS from each computer, correct?
correct...well it sound correct music in on WHS, iTunes is on PC, Drive on PC points to music on WHS.

- what's your procedure for adding new music to iTunes...use remote desktop into WHS from a client to run iTunes on WHS and copy the files there with iTunes running?

I save the file locally (on my pc) then cut n paste (drag n drop) to the appropriate artist folder on my drive.

- any issues with speed (being all my computers are wirelessly connected to my home network, other than the WHS box, and an XBox I use to stream to my home theatre rig.

I don't have any speed issues but then again my whole house is gigE or WiFi N. but if it can handle video streams I pretty sure it can deal with music.

Sure thing let me know if you need any other help.

correct...well it sound correct music in on WHS, iTunes is on PC, Drive on PC points to music on WHS.

I save the file locally (on my pc) then cut n paste (drag n drop) to the appropriate artist folder on my drive.

You lost me right there... If the iTunes install on your main PC is pointed at the shared drive for music... and you buy something new, or rip a CD... wouldn't the new AAC files automatically appear on the shared drive?

What am I missing?

What I am trying to avoid with my WHS (HP 485) is having to have a copy of all my music on my "master PC locally" and then have WHS scanning for new music there and keeping a second copy on the server share for streaming. To me it makes no sense to keep all my music in 2 places.

Use MP3s --> Store MP3's in folder on server --> Share folder --> add shared folder in whatever music application you use on client PC's and sync devices from there

It makes things 10x easier and it works on nearly everything.

He has itunes pull the music from the server. So you add songs to ther server and all the itunes on all the pc's pull the songs over.

It ends up being alot of wasted space as your have an exact copy of your music library on every computer. Every single song is everywhere.

What I did was install itunes on my PC, map my music share and tell itunes to use that. But NOT consolidate. So all the music stays on the server and not a single song is on my PC. I then sync at that pc.

If you want the music on other pc's just turn on sharing in itunes. Of course the pc and the server would have to be on for that to work.

Or just install itunes directly on the server and sync there but turn sharing on there and all the pc's could pick it up.

In any of my scenarios all the music stays on the server.

What I did was install itunes on my PC, map my music share and tell itunes to use that. But NOT consolidate. So all the music stays on the server and not a single song is on my PC. I then sync at that pc.

Sorry if I was unclear. But this is how I have mine setup. ^^^

I also only use mp3 no AAC and I do not(rarely) DL from itunes.

w1retap has basically summed it up very simply, but it just plain works.

Back