iTunes: Removing single songs from a smart playlist

sigmend

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, The title sums it up pretty well, but let me explain a little more.
I have created a smart playlist that filters out stuff that is not music (Freeplay stuff etc), but I want to remove a single song without creating a rule for it.
Anyone have any ideas?

Uncheck the checkbox and tell it to only play checked files. Or create a rule as it is the only way I know of if you don't want the affect the file anywhere but in the one playlist.

If you've set it to update constantly, I don't think you can remove a single song without creating a rule for it...

Just making a normal playlist would be much easier than a smart playlist with hundreds of rules... You can always 'mark' a song with an unused attribute and tell it not to put songs with that attribute in your smart playlist.

Well, it would be completely illogical to be able to remove a single song from a smart playlist that's updating constantly. It would instantly be added again...

And rather than creating one rule per song, can't you find some common ground to ban all, or at least several, of the songs on?

That is what I was getting at with changing an unused attribute. Just go to the information, and change something in all the songs you don't want in the playlist, and then remove them with one rule.

One system I like, but haven't yet implemented, is a system of tags in the ID3 commentary. For example, comment on the "mood" of the song, and then I'll just create a new smart playlist with songs containing "happy" and "low bpm" in the commentary, and ta-da! Something for my mood right now!

So just add a "don't play with that other music"-tag to the commentary of the songs you don't want in that certain playlist.

Only problem is it takes a lot of time to comment a few thousand songs... ;)
We should build an online database with such information, and build a small application that takes care of it, and uploads your commentaries!

Mass id3 tagging is your friend. Though it doesn't seem to be my powerbook's friend... Changing the tags on a couple dozen songs takes my PB a couple minutes sadly :(. Anyway, if you are just excluding, you can select all the songs at once and change them in one shot. But if you want the mood/bpm thing, you have some work to do.

Songs without proper ID3 tags generally don't get played a lot by me... ;)

Artist/album and such are, IMO, a must have. But extensive commentaries are... well... less important. :p

I have to set a lot of my own tags because of the music I listen too. Stuff that isn't well known doesn't get identified by iTunes very often, and when I buy my music online (www.allofmp3.com), the tags aren't always quite how I want them. Allofmp3.com doesn't seem to set the genre ever, but I think there are some settings I should look into.

Back