ITunes Not Responding Only While Device is Plugged In

This is happening with both my iPod Touch and iPhone. While the device is plugged in, iTunes goes into this "not responding" mode where the window remains visible, but you can't click on anything. If you unplug the device, iTunes immediately becomes responding again and even appears that it may have done stuff in the background during the frozen state.

I have deleted items from my existing library, reinstalled numerous times, created a new library (blank), and restored the iPod to factory settings. A couple times I have made it work for a short period, then it starts happening again. Now, even creating a blank library will not allow iTunes to respond while the devices are plugged in.

This is kicking my butt! Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

I brute force solved this problem by restoring a disk image from a month ago. This was before I installed Windows 7 Professional SP1. Now I am wondering if SP1 had something to do with it.

Thanks. I have been using that as a guideline and I probably followed those instructions 10 times. Unfortunately, I feel that my problem was more of a Windows issue? Completely gutting all Apple software from my system including tedious deletion of all traces after regular uninstalls - and using blank iTunes libraries after reinstalls, still didn't work.

I don't know - but I feel sorry for anyone else that has this happen!

I've been having the same exact issue for quite some times - reinstalling using the above method didn't do anything. What I do to get around it is start playing a song in iTunes, then plug in the iPod, which for whatever reason (usually!) keeps it from stalling.

I think I'll pass on a system restore, and hope it eventually goes away. :eek:

You guys who can't get this fixed, may want to try making another account and trying itunes in the new account, that worked on my system before I nuked itunes and reinstalled everything.

I haven't had this issue since I restored a disk image of my system from before I installed Windows 7 SP1. Once I did this, I was able to use my same iTunes library. The library doesn't seem to have been the root issue. Neither did iTunes itself seem to be the root issue. I gutted iTunes completely so many times and reinstalled - none of this helped.

I did not try creating a new iTunes account. Would be interested if others seeing this problem try this to see if it solves it for them.

I haven't not reapplied Win7 SP1 yet. I will definitely image my PC just before I do so in case I run into this again.

I've been having the same exact issue for quite some times - reinstalling using the above method didn't do anything. What I do to get around it is start playing a song in iTunes, then plug in the iPod, which for whatever reason (usually!) keeps it from stalling.

I think I'll pass on a system restore, and hope iTunes not responding eventually goes away. :eek:

Every time I try to open my iTunes, it freezes. I have reinstalled a few times and tried to fix it, but now I am frustrated

Back