iTunes library: Sharing Sync between Windows 7 and OSX

Limp Gawd
Hi there all.

I have an iMac 27" at home and in the past I have used Windows 7 excusively using Bootcamp, however, just lately I have started playing around in OSX and am beginning to use it more and more.

I'd like to be able to have my iTunes library (and my iPhone) sync to EITHER Windows 7 or OSX depending on what operating system I happen to be using at the time.

I have created a folder called MUSIC on a file server I run (network drive - not on the Mac at all, a completely separate PC) and I am going to park all my music in there so I have one, single location where my music library resides so I don't end up with multiple MUSIC and/or iTunes folders on different partitions.

Can this actually be done ? I have tried a couple of times and have no problem getting Windows 7 to Sync to the network drive, but OSX seems to be resetting itself to the local folders on the iMac dispite me pointing iTunes to the library on the network drive. All I want is to be able to have both instances of iTunes sync to the same set of music files, and be able to plug in my ipod/iphone etc and be able to do all the normal things when you sync, i.e. add music, video, podcasts etc.

Kind of solved my own problem by installing Parallels, associated the iPod with Windows7 and ejected from OSX. Seems OK so far but Parallels seems to be quite memory hungry and I only have 4gb of RAM installed. What sort of RAM should I get if I want to upgrade the iMac to a full 8gb ?

To sync reg files I uses sync mate works good and has a realtime option should work for music too

Back