It's worth paying $2.750 in advance for RTX3090, and wait a month for it to be in stock? (Help/Suggestion)

Johndavis

n00b
Dear tech savvies,

I have been waiting since October, just to get my hands on a RTX3090 with a reasonable price. The Saturn shop in our City center, which is most viable option. Doesn't have any at stock. I was told, to pay in advance, and wait for it to be available. Could be a month, two or even 3. I checked the prices in Internet, they're insane. Newgg doesn't ship to my City. eBay is hard to trust and quit pricy. How did everyone get their share of these GPUs? I'm really stocked, and I need help. I have the amount the shop asking for. But I'm not willing to pay all that in advance. Is this the way everything works now?

Sincerely,
JD

3090 is like the easiest GPU to get in this generation across nvidia/AMD. Just set up some basic stock alerts, you should be able to get one at MSRP within 2-4 weeks. 3090FE stays in stock for over 24 hours now here in the UK on its weekly/biweekly drops. If there is one card you should not be buying overpriced, it's the 3090. Even on ebay they are selling at break even now (including ebay fees).

Yes, the reality now is you can't just go and buy a GPU/CPU you want. Silicon shortages, scalping bots, covid, have all made this the current situation unfortunately. But it's not too bad if you put a bit of effort into it.

Definitely wait. I paid a scalper for an RX 6800 XT, which I later re-sold because I was able to get an RTX 3080 FE at list price. If I had only waited a few more days, I wouldn't have wasted so much money and time.

If you need to ask us, then I think you know its not worth it.

But do what you must.

No, wait. That is too much of a cash outlay for a video card that you cannot put in your hands now.

I have been on discord for 2 days now, I could have gotten 3090 @ 1899 + tax couple of times (Zotac). But I still thought it was overpriced, so in other words you can do better on 3090 easily and get the card sooner.

Check Best Buy’s site for founders edition cards between like 10:00-12:00 am central time, weekdays. Scored mine on a Tuesday or Wednesday. They will ship to your local store and bring it out to your car. Just make a short cut on your phone to the page. Once i found one in stock I didn’t even have to rush to complete my purchase or anything. There is significantly less attention on 3090, and rightfully so at that price.

Frankly unless you are 4K and your frame rates are chugging, I wouldn’t get too worked up about this card. I don’t have a problem with $1,500 MSRP as a matter of principal but it isn’t worth it. It just happens to be the only choice with more than 10GB vram right now so I did it.

My 2 cents: never pay a single cent over MSRP. If no one does, nobody will rise prices in the future. People overpaying are worsening this situation now and in the future.

Check Best Buy’s site for founders edition cards between like 10:00-12:00 am central time, weekdays. Scored mine on a Tuesday or Wednesday. They will ship to your local store and bring it out to your car. Just make a short cut on your phone to the page. Once i found one in stock I didn’t even have to rush to complete my purchase or anything. There is significantly less attention on 3090, and rightfully so at that price.

Frankly unless you are 4K and your frame rates are chugging, I wouldn’t get too worked up about this card. I don’t have a problem with $1,500 MSRP as a matter of principal but it isn’t worth it. It just happens to be the only choice with more than 10GB vram right now so I did it.
I don't believe there are any best buys in Germany.

Nope not if you have to sacrifice needs for wants. If this does not apply, then do as you wish.

Or if you have to ask.

$2,750? You're better off just stepping down a tier, walking out the door with an entire gaming desktop with an RTX 3080, and still having a few hundred dollars left over.

Heck, it wouldn't cost that much more to get such a desktop already equipped with a 3090.

I'm usually disdainful of pre-built desktops, but right now, the market is so thoroughly screwed up that it's the only way anyone's going to get a next-gen GPU.

Heck, even when GPUs are in stock, it seems like they're pre-scalped. Whose idea was it at the local Micro Center (or, more likely, MSI/ASUS/other AIB partners) to charge $930 for an RX 6800 (not even the XT version) and $1,500 for the RX 6900 XT? (No RTX 3000 prices because there aren't any in stock right now, as expected.)

Just wait out this madness for a year or two. It's saying something that decent GPUs tend to cost more than my Valve Index, which I paid MSRP + tax and not a cent more for.

Is that in U.S. dollars? If so no freaking way.

That card is so over priced, plus it's only like 15% faster than the RTX 3080.

At that crazy price it's insane. The RTX 3080 is $700, so no that $2,750 RTX 3090 being 4 times the price LOL. Is the card 400% faster better? Nope. It's only like 15% faster it really should only customer around $999.

Last edited:
It's worth paying $2.750 in advance for RTX3090, and wait a month for it to be in stock? (Help/Suggestion)
I'll say, less than $3 for a 3090, go for it!

Back