It's to bad IPS monitors have that glow going for them.

Alright. I have another unit of hp 27ea and it's glorious. Only slight white glow from bottom right corner which dissapears when I lift the monitor high enough that center of the screen is at my eye level.
This thing is undrerrated. One of last few glossy monitors. And well calibrated ips at that. White is white!

Your right all the good reviews and all the good individual reviews on newegg/Bestbuy/Amazon/Google of the LG 32ud59-b are all lying, it's a crap monitor.
I didn't say it's crap, if it was I wouldn't have kept it, but it is far from what I would call solid as well. Not everybody uses their monitors for the same things, for office work it does the job, for games and movies I consider it too slow of a panel.

UPDATE: I went to Micro center and I was surprised it had both monitors I was interested in, the MSI Optix MAG27CQ 27" 144Hz VA and the LG 32UD59-B 32" 4k. Well I played around on both and the LG 32UD59-B 32" 4k didn't feel right to me, things were just off. Anyway I bought the MSI Optix MAG27CQ 27" 144Hz VA and I'm currently testing it.

UPDATE: I went to Micro center and I was surprised it had both monitors I was interested in, the MSI Optix MAG27CQ 27" 144Hz VA and the LG 32UD59-B 32" 4k. Well I played around on both and the LG 32UD59-B 32" 4k didn't feel right to me, things were just off. Anyway I bought the MSI Optix MAG27CQ 27" 144Hz VA and I'm currently testing it.

What's your opinion on the MSI? I am considering one myself and would love some real user feedback.

The MSI is good so far, I bought it cause I can't stand IPS glow. I'm sticking with VA only monitors until new tech comes out. I could do without the curve but it doesn't take away from anything, just kinda looks gimmick but that's all 27" curved monitors not just this one. 144Hz works fine. Whats odd though in the listed refresh rates only 60,120,144 is available. Other 144Hz monitors I've tried before always had a 85 or 100Hz also available. So if I'm playing a really demanding game I'll have to play at 60Hz so I can use v-sync on. Which for me I really like using v-sync cause I hate tearing. But I'll upgrading to a 1070 soon. Another thing though the response settings I keep at default off cause I tried at diff settings and didn't like the effect it gave to the screen, even at on or off I couldn't tell the diff. Anyway no ghosting while gaming, good monitor and it's the best I can do at the moment until new tech panels come out. I would recommend definitely. Out of the box it was well calibrated the only thing I had to do is reduce brightness to 50%. In the NCP I increased the Digital vibrancy to 60%. I should mention I increase Digital vibrancy for all my monitors not just this one, I've always like my colors a little over saturated.

The MSI is good so far, I bought it cause I can't stand IPS glow. I'm sticking with VA only monitors until new tech comes out. I could do without the curve but it doesn't take away from anything, just kinda looks gimmick but that's all 27" curved monitors not just this one. 144Hz works fine. Whats odd though in the listed refresh rates only 60,120,144 is available. Other 144Hz monitors I've tried before always had a 85 or 100Hz also available. So if I'm playing a really demanding game I'll have to play at 60Hz so I can use v-sync on. Which for me I really like using v-sync cause I hate tearing. But I'll upgrading to a 1070 soon. Another thing though the response settings I keep at default off cause I tried at diff settings and didn't like the effect it gave to the screen, even at on or off I couldn't tell the diff. Anyway no ghosting while gaming, good monitor and it's the best I can do at the moment until new tech panels come out. I would recommend definitely. Out of the box it was well calibrated the only thing I had to do is reduce brightness to 50%. In the NCP I increased the Digital vibrancy to 60%. I should mention I increase Digital vibrancy for all my monitors not just this one, I've always like my colors a little over saturated.

that panel is on sale everywhere (MSI, HP, ACER), its even cheaper than 24" TNs here. I was just wondering two things: Do you have any backlight bleed near the top and bottom border of the screen? I remember ppl complaining about this, also whether these monitors have the same overdrive artefacting as the Samsung ones with the same panel.

There is an option to use half refresh rate V-Sync in Nvidia Control panel. Switching monitor to 120Hz and using it will give you better result than switching it to 60Hz, especially when frame rate drops below 60fps. Higher refresh rate will give you less stuttering in this case

that panel is on sale everywhere (MSI, HP, ACER), its even cheaper than 24" TNs here. I was just wondering two things: Do you have any backlight bleed near the top and bottom border of the screen? I remember ppl complaining about this, also whether these monitors have the same overdrive artefacting as the Samsung ones with the same panel.

No backbleed, but give me a example of artifacting please, I want to see what your talking about.

Update: I returned the MSI Optix MAG27CQ 27" 144Hz VA today and instead I got the Predator XB271HU. Which blows the MSI out of the water like it's nobody's business, granted it cost $200 more. Only when I tested side by side I could tell the difference, it's like night and day. Plus the G-sync is pretty incredible feature. First off the colors are way better on the Predator, I even tried to adjust the MSI colors to match it just couldn't do it not even close. Whats odd the though my older cheaper 24" VA has better colors then the MSI.The responsive is better, the stand is better and it goes higher. The OSD has more options. You also have more options of fixed resolutions on the Predator instead of the MSI's three options 60-120-144Hz. I also never liked the MSI's curved screen it's just so gimmicky. Plus Predator got the power supply inside. I know in the past I've put down IPS monitors cause of the glow but if you sit back a little bit it almost goes away completely, this monitors pro's just has so many. As soon as I fully test the monitor I will edit my sig to reflect my new change.

Reactions: XoR_
like this
Update: I returned the MSI Optix MAG27CQ 27" 144Hz VA today and instead I got the Predator XB271HU. Which blows the MSI out of the water like it's nobody's business, granted it cost $200 more. Only when I tested side by side I could tell the difference, it's like night and day. Plus the G-sync is pretty incredible feature. First off the colors are way better on the Predator, I even tried to adjust the MSI colors to match it just couldn't do it not even close. Whats odd the though my older cheaper 24" VA has better colors then the MSI.The responsive is better, the stand is better and it goes higher. The OSD has more options. You also have more options of fixed resolutions on the Predator instead of the MSI's three options 60-120-144Hz. I also never liked the MSI's curved screen it's just so gimmicky. Plus Predator got the power supply inside. I know in the past I've put down IPS monitors cause of the glow but if you sit back a little bit it almost goes away completely, this monitors pro's just has so many. As soon as I fully test the monitor I will edit my sig to reflect my new change.
AUO panels used in all G-Sync IPS-type screens are not the best when it comes to IPS glow but are imho completely adequate.

G-Sync truly is a glorious feature when you have NV GPU. Me like (y)

1. Do you have any tips on how to reduce the amount of glow that we perceive ?

2. How do I adjust so the whites are more white and less yellow ? Might just be me though, using a VA for a long time. According to reviews the XB271HU is pretty well calibrated out of the box. It's almost like the colors are too warm slightly.

3. By the way have you heard about this ?

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/418751/line-down-the-middle-overlapping-image

It's happen to me once so far, all I had to do was turn off the monitor and then turn back on. On the last page the ACER representative said it's been fixed and no Predator XB271HU in 2018 will have this issue. It's BS cause my new Predator XB271HU was made in March 2018 and it's done it once already. This same problem happen to me a month ago when I tried the DELL S2716DG and that monitor is also a 144Hz G-sync too. What do you think I should do ? I luck out I believe with this panel cause there's only a little bit of BLB and it's quite small. I just don't think me getting another one will fix anything and possible I'll get a worse one with more BLB. please advise thanks

Last edited:
1. Do you have any tips on how to reduce the amount of glow that we perceive ?
I use my Acer XB271HK (4K G-Sync monitor, also AUO panel - should be similar enough to yours) at 10% brightness and use ambient light or just have lights on (or sunlight) and in these conditions I do not see any IPS glow when using it. I do see ti when I look for it obviously.

2. How do I adjust so the whites are more white and less yellow ? Might just be me though, using a VA for a long time. According to reviews the XB271HU is pretty well calibrated out of the box. It's almost like the colors are too warm slightly.
Best to have calibration probe like i1 Display Pro and adjust RGB sliders to hit 6500K or maybe if you prefer something closer to 7200K
I set my monitor to RGB at 100% and white is pretty much the same as on my calibrated HP DreamColor and didn't even boter with using calibration probe on it as I do not need it to be calibrated and frankly it is impossible to calibrate properly monitor without hardware calibration, imho. In any case RGB at 100 gives best contrast ratio.

I bought the new Acer CB271HU 27” IPS 2K/QHD and it's great it's got everything even a 75Hz refresh rate option. Which I've noticed over the standard 60Hz. Contrast is good colors are good, but in dark scenes you notice the glow in the two lower corners, it's not to big of a area, just in the corners but still noticeable. It just takes away some of the immersion when playing. I'm playing Fallout 3 and noticing glow at night. I'm playing at least until I get to those dark tunnels to see how it looks. I need to decide soon cause in a week I have to decide if I'm keeping or returning. If I do return it I'm sticking VA only from now on or till new tech comes out.

How do you feel about the glow ? Am I being too picky ?

I think that it is hit or miss with either panel really. I have had some really good IPS panels and good VA panels. I have had crappy panels for both and I think that you'll find bad panels either way.

Cour temp User and R at 100 G at 100 and B at 100.
W-LED used at my panel are close to 6500K natively

Of yeah I knew this, brain fart.

Has this ever happened to you yet ?

I have a line down the middle of the screen but it's only happened once so far. They've have talked about it on the official Acer forums.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/418751/line-down-the-middle-overlapping-image

All I had to do was turn off the monitor and then turn back on. On the last page the ACER representative said it's been fixed and no Predator XB271HU in 2018 will have this issue. It's BS cause my new Predator XB271HU was made in March 2018 and it's done it once already. This same problem happen to me a month ago when I tried the DELL S2716DG and that monitor is also a 144Hz G-sync too. What do you think I should do ? I luck out I believe with this panel cause there's only a little bit of BLB and it's quite small. I just don't think me getting another one will fix anything and possible I'll get a worse one with more BLB. please advise thanks

Back