It's to bad IPS monitors have that glow going for them.

Subzerok11

Gawd
I bought the new Acer CB271HU 27” IPS 2K/QHD and it's great it's got everything even a 75Hz refresh rate option. Which I've noticed over the standard 60Hz. Contrast is good colors are good, but in dark scenes you notice the glow in the two lower corners, it's not to big of a area, just in the corners but still noticeable. It just takes away some of the immersion when playing. I'm playing Fallout 3 and noticing glow at night. I'm playing at least until I get to those dark tunnels to see how it looks. I need to decide soon cause in a week I have to decide if I'm keeping or returning. If I do return it I'm sticking VA only from now on or till new tech comes out.

How do you feel about the glow ? Am I being too picky ?

Turn your brightness down a bit.

VA can have a purplish backlight glow too.

Everything is cranked too bright at default settings on any of the these consumer panels. I usually end up on the low 30s brightness range for my monitors which eliminated the worst of the backlight glow on either tech.

As much as I dislike IPS glow I was never really distracted by it. It is just there, kinda like strange version of glare and it even is not on level of monitor but looks like behind monitor or rather something that is in front and reflected like in a mirror. I can some times see it on desktop, displaying black screens, etc. but in games, even darker ones I don't really notice it... too busy killing and plundering I guess :hungover:

I have three IPS with A-TW and one IPS without it. A-TW eliminate glow and all false-3d effects. A-TW make IPS have viewing angles on par with CRT and PDP (plasma) :cool:

On non-IPS LSD front I really could not find myself not be completely distracted by VA panels gamma shift. It is imho terrible and no other LCD tech gave me so much headaches about black level despite one even having near perfect performance at black screen and 3000:1 contrast ratio. This panel type is definitely not for me :vomit: And TN... never liked them, never owned them, never will. I like vertical gradients but not when monitor does it on its own. I have laptop (actually PC tablet) with IPS, tablet with IPS and phone with IPS. Even at work I managed to replace one TN they gave me for IPS so my life if now completely TN-free :cat:

I love IPS glow. The way it cakes all over the edges of the screen and brightens up scary dark scenes! And I can't get enough of the way it decimates contrast either......phooey, who needs contrast!

IPS reminds me of that one magical night I had in Amsterdam a long, long time ago. I did not know her name nor did she know mine, but for a brief moment we, as in I, prematurely came together as one..... after negotiating what we both felt to be a fair price. However, upon payment due for services rendered....a quandary arose as I had dollars and she expected euros....well, to say a tense awkward moment proceeded would be an epic understatement with each of us unsure of our next move......

Last edited:
I love IPS glow. The way it cakes all over the edges of the screen and brightens up scary dark scenes! And I can't get enough of the way it decimates contrast either......phooey, who needs contrast!

IPS reminds me of that one magical night I had in Amsterdam a long, long time ago. I did not know her name nor did she know mine, but for a brief moment we, as in I, prematurely came together as one..... after negotiating what we both felt to be a fair price. However, upon payment due for services rendered....a quandary arose as I had dollars and she expected euros....well, to say a tense awkward moment proceeded would be an epic understatement with each of us unsure of our next move......
EPIC
icon_lol.gif
ok2.gif

I bought the new Acer CB271HU 27” IPS 2K/QHD and it's great it's got everything even a 75Hz refresh rate option. Which I've noticed over the standard 60Hz. Contrast is good colors are good, but in dark scenes you notice the glow in the two lower corners, it's not to big of a area, just in the corners but still noticeable. It just takes away some of the immersion when playing. I'm playing Fallout 3 and noticing glow at night. I'm playing at least until I get to those dark tunnels to see how it looks. I need to decide soon cause in a week I have to decide if I'm keeping or returning. If I do return it I'm sticking VA only from now on or till new tech comes out.

How do you feel about the glow ? Am I being too picky ?
Can't stand it, myself. The already low contrast of IPS is further ruined by it.

Turn your brightness down a bit.

VA can have a purplish backlight glow too.

Everything is cranked too bright at default settings on any of the these consumer panels. I usually end up on the low 30s brightness range for my monitors which eliminated the worst of the backlight glow on either tech.

Way ahead of you already my brightness I turned it from a 100% default to 30% it's still there.

As much as I dislike IPS glow I was never really distracted by it. It is just there, kinda like strange version of glare and it even is not on level of monitor but looks like behind monitor or rather something that is in front and reflected like in a mirror. I can some times see it on desktop, displaying black screens, etc. but in games, even darker ones I don't really notice it... too busy killing and plundering I guess :hungover:

I have three IPS with A-TW and one IPS without it. A-TW eliminate glow and all false-3d effects. A-TW make IPS have viewing angles on par with CRT and PDP (plasma) :cool:

On non-IPS LSD front I really could not find myself not be completely distracted by VA panels gamma shift. It is imho terrible and no other LCD tech gave me so much headaches about black level despite one even having near perfect performance at black screen and 3000:1 contrast ratio. This panel type is definitely not for me :vomit: And TN... never liked them, never owned them, never will. I like vertical gradients but not when monitor does it on its own. I have laptop (actually PC tablet) with IPS, tablet with IPS and phone with IPS. Even at work I managed to replace one TN they gave me for IPS so my life if now completely TN-free :cat:

I don't know what you're talking about but my 24 inch VA screen is beautiful they just don't make 27 in 1440p in VA flavor otherwise I would have bought it. They actually do have them but they have a crappy curved screen which I don't want that.

To bad that VA has it's downsides as well. All VA screens I tried had visible banding issues and were much slower on some pixel transitions, problems which I personally find much worse than some IPS glow. VA also has color shift which messes all colors up a bit not just dark colors like IPS glow. So until OLED or micro leds become feasible you need to compromise and if price is the same or a little above I will pick IPS...

Buy a larger monitor and cover the edges with black tape. - Red Green

I don't know what you're talking about but my 24 inch VA screen is beautiful they just don't make 27 in 1440p in VA flavor otherwise I would have bought it. They actually do have them but they have a crappy curved screen which I don't want that.
I am way too sensitive to any gamma issues to comfortably use VA panels
Also IPS have rather nice and uniform pixel shift response that makes RTC work without causing any effects that irritate me like dark streaking found on VA. RTC also seems to work better on IPS, at least given my limited sample size.

I will stick with IPS until some better technology like OLED is readily available.

To bad that VA has it's downsides as well. All VA screens I tried had visible banding issues and were much slower on some pixel transitions, problems which I personally find much worse than some IPS glow. VA also has color shift which messes all colors up a bit not just dark colors like IPS glow. So until OLED or micro leds become feasible you need to compromise and if price is the same or a little above I will pick IPS...
IPS glow hardly influence 'color'. Rather dark shades hide behind something that looks like strange kind of very diffused glare. There is also slight brightness drop from even larger angle.

The new LG's don't have real issues with smearing. Nor will they have banding when you adjust the gamma correctly from OSD, the monitors you've tried likely just had too low gamma.

Check out the 165hz 32inch LG Gsync. It hasn't those issues.

Source - looking at one right now.

All VA panels have slow response times, especially going from black thus dark streaking and they also have gamma shift issues.
Banding should not really be the case BUT since gamma off angle is much lower then some bandign might be visible especially in dark tones and border where image goes to black making it point obvious parts of the screen are pure black and there is nothing displayed in there.

All VA panels have slow response times, especially going from black thus dark streaking
Maybe, but the new LG's have so little that it isn't noticeable in practice.

Even IPS is doing all kinds of streaking when you look for it.

Nor will they have banding when you adjust the gamma correctly from OSD
I very much doubt this. And as far as I know the 165hz LG uses an AUO panel, same as my monitor (Q3277PQU) just overclocked to higher refresh. Smearing is OK on mine as well, but IPS is still better. However the banding is very visible on certain colors and this I haven't seen EVER on a monitor until I got my first VA. I am talking visible vertical lines on full screen same color backgrounds, not gradient problems. The LG 32u59-b also has it, on different colors (lighter colors) but that one also has very visible smearing. So you may have lucked out on yours but these are REAL problems with VA which I never seen on any IPS and I had 4-5 IPS screens starting 15 years back...

I very much doubt this. And as far as I know the 165hz LG uses an AUO panel, same as my monitor (Q3277PQU) just overclocked to higher refresh. Smearing is OK on mine as well, but IPS is still better. However the banding is very visible on certain colors and this I haven't seen EVER on a monitor until I got my first VA. I am talking visible vertical lines on full screen same color backgrounds, not gradient problems. The LG 32u59-b also has it, on different colors (lighter colors) but that one also has very visible smearing. So you may have lucked out on yours but these are REAL problems with VA which I never seen on any IPS and I had 4-5 IPS screens starting 15 years back...
That's a different panel, even different size (32" 91ppi instead of 31.5" 93ppi). Not comparable to 32GK850G's motion performance.

And you say vertical lines, isn't that different than banding? A quality control issue? There has been no reports of non-uniform backlight on the 32GK850G, unlike with the Samsung Curved VA's.

It's called vertical banding, search for it, the internet is full of examples for it, the Q3277PQU uses a 32 panel, same resolution, same manufacturer so yes very much comparable, they just bumped the refresh rate on it. It is a quality control issue, but most VA panels on the market have it, never seen it on any IPS so what does that tell you? For me it means it's some VA shortcoming...

It's called vertical banding, search for it, the internet is full of examples for it, the Q3277PQU uses a 32 panel, same resolution, same manufacturer so yes very much comparable, they just bumped the refresh rate on it
Yeah I know it from experience with the Samsung C27HG70's horrible backlight and 4 returned units. I haven't seen a single user report of this happening with the LG 32GK850G.

The panel is completely different though, even different size, so it's not comparable. TFT central already received the LG 32GK850G for review, they will provide actual response time numbers to show how it's motion performance is near IPS.

Well I have been burned twice by VA screens already. They are usable for what I want them (office work) but far from same quality as IPS. If the 32GK850G was 4k I might give it a shot, not interested in 1440p screens anymore in that size.

You are right about panel size, I was under the impression it's 32 on the 32GK850G which apparently is not the case.

Last edited:

Yeah on some older VA screens the transitions were slower but these newer ones are much better and color shift is way better then a TN screen and pretty close to a IPS screen. These are old arguments that just don't hold up today with newer higher end VA screens.

Last edited:
So do most ips monitors have ips glow at least in one of the corners at a time?
DO NOT mistake for backlight bleeding.

I've just got HP 27ea and it's great. No blb at all. Just white glow in right bottom corner and I wonder if I should try replacing it and hope for better luck. The glow is pretty bad on black images but not visible at any colors other than maybe grey.

All IPS have some glow and if you got no backbleed then you won't do any better then the one you got, so keep it.

All VA panels have slow response times, especially going from black thus dark streaking and they also have gamma shift issues.
Banding should not really be the case BUT since gamma off angle is much lower then some bandign might be visible especially in dark tones and border where image goes to black making it point obvious parts of the screen are pure black and there is nothing displayed in there.

Stop repeating this old crap...Yeah on older VA screens the transitions were slower but these newer ones are much better and color shift is way better then a TN screen and pretty close to a IPS screen. These are old arguments that just don't hold up today with newer higher end VA screens.

The IPS I just returned had some banding when playing Fallout 3 but it's something that never bothered me, but the glow is the worst thing I've ever seen on monitors. I'll never buy another IPS panel again.

Last edited:
Well I have been burned twice by VA screens already. They are usable for what I want them (office work) but far from same quality as IPS. If the 32GK850G was 4k I might give it a shot, not interested in 1440p screens anymore in that size.

You are right about panel size, I was under the impression it's 32 on the 32GK850G which apparently is not the case.

Totally disagree I've been burned twice with a IPS screen never again, all monitors have diff cons but IPS glow is the worst of them in my opinion.

Stop repeating this old crap...Yeah on older VA screens the transitions were slower but these newer ones are much better
Well good for you then, last screen that really bit me is a VA and it's a 2017 screen (LG 32ud59-b) and the vertical banding on the AOC Q3277PQU VA (on which the panel is the same as a benq that tftcentral tested, and while not very slow on transitions it's still much slower than any modern IPS http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_bl3200pt.htm), so you may not like it but this is how it is. These are not old screens by any means. Only thing on which we agree is that all monitors have flaws...

Last edited:

Yep, agreed. I have one side by side with a semi-pro grade IPS (Dell UP3216Q) and the comparison is favorable. I can see the VA peculiarities if I look hard for them -- colors shift very slightly side to side, and there is a small amount of smearing in the EIZO response time test. Neither of these are noticeable in actual use. There is no banding or any strangeness like that, and with a few tweaks in the OSD, colors are quite similar. I'll be keeping the IPS or a comparable smaller one for extra desktop space and assured color accuracy, but I don't think there would be meaningful differences in my photo edits on either panel (serious amateur rather than pro level, though)

If I had to keep one it'd be the LG VA panel. The only noticeable differences are contrast ratio and high/variable refresh rate, which are huge pluses in favor of the LG. My IPS has 4k resolution going for it, which I would both miss and not miss. Gaming is better at 1440p/165 Hz.

Well good for you then, last screen that really bit me is a VA and it's a 2017 screen (LG 32ud59-b) and the vertical banding on the AOC Q3277PQU VA (on which the panel is the same as a benq that tftcentral tested, and while not very slow on transitions it's still much slower than any modern IPS http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_bl3200pt.htm), so you may not like it but this is how it is. These are not old screens by any means. Only thing on which we agree is that all monitors have flaws...

That link is to a diff older monitor then the LG 32ud59-b you talk about. Not sure if you know this but the LG 32ud59-b is a well reviewed monitor. By the way the vast majority of people can't tell the diff between 1ms and 6ms lots of people are talking out of their ass. I'm not saying what your saying is incorrect. Also whats funny no one has mentioned VA's greatest strengths being it's contrast and blacks look the best.

Last edited:
That link is for my AOC Q3277PQU. As I said, I have 2 VA screens I bought within the last 3 years both with problems. The LG 32ud59-b I have at home now, and linked videos to the thread on this forum on how it behaves on some web pages (https://hardforum.com/threads/lg-32ud59-b-32-3840x2160.1941145/page-3). Check those videos yourself if you don't believe me. It's also visible in videos, etc. Granted this is not the case on the AOC Q3277PQU which is faster but in games I still seen artifacts on it + the vertical banding (which is QA with much luck you may get one without, had 3 of those before I settled all had visible banding). I may be unlucky but never had such issues with IPS screens I had at home, only problems there were IPS glow (which I can live with) and back light bleed which is a QA issue again.

Also I am not talking about 1ms vs 6ms diff here, you really won't notice those. VA have spikes on darker shades of 40ms sometimes, this is what produces visible artifacts. I am not against VA or any other tech. Was just reporting what I saw on monitors I had seen in person and used over prolonged periods. I would be totally happy to pull the trigger on a 4k 32 inch VA that had the response times of at least my AOC Q3277PQU and no banding issues. Same for an IPS in reasonable price range ($800 tops in my local shops to be able to deal with QA issues).

Last edited:
I am way too sensitive to any gamma issues to comfortably use VA panels
Also IPS have rather nice and uniform pixel shift response that makes RTC work without causing any effects that irritate me like dark streaking found on VA. RTC also seems to work better on IPS, at least given my limited sample size.

I will stick with IPS until some better technology like OLED is readily available.

IPS glow hardly influence 'color'. Rather dark shades hide behind something that looks like strange kind of very diffused glare. There is also slight brightness drop from even larger angle.
Please don't confuse gamma and contrast shift. TN panels suffer from the former, causing colors to skew and be blown out. VA panels suffer from the latter, where color stays more or less the same, but the picture becomes washed out. Samsung's PVA panel technology does the opposite, with the image appearing darker or crushed at an angle.

That link is for my AOC Q3277PQU. As I said, I have 2 VA screens I bought within the last 3 years both with problems. The LG 32ud59-b I have at home now, and linked videos to the thread on this forum on how it behaves on some web pages (https://hardforum.com/threads/lg-32ud59-b-32-3840x2160.1941145/page-3). Check those videos yourself if you don't believe me. It's also visible in videos, etc. Granted this is not the case on the AOC Q3277PQU which is faster but in games I still seen artifacts on it + the vertical banding (which is QA with much luck you may get one without, had 3 of those before I settled all had visible banding). I may be unlucky but never had such issues with IPS screens I had at home, only problems there were IPS glow (which I can live with) and back light bleed which is a QA issue again.

Also I am not talking about 1ms vs 6ms diff here, you really won't notice those. VA have spikes on darker shades of 40ms sometimes, this is what produces visible artifacts. I am not against VA or any other tech. Was just reporting what I say on monitors I had seen in person and used over prolonged periods. I would be totally happy to pull the trigger on a 4k 32 inch VA that had the response times of at least my AOC Q3277PQU and no banding issues. Same for an IPS in reasonable price range ($800 tops in my local shops to be able to deal with QA issues).

It's all good, but for now until something better comes out VA is what I'm sticking with. Currently I'm using 24" VA 1080p Benq but I really need something bigger with more PPI. I'm saving my money now for either the LG 32ud59-b or the newer LG 32ud60-b...not sure which I should buy ?? The older one has good reviews but the newer one is so new that we don't know yet, but it's probably the same thing.

I can't really recommend the LG 32ud59-b unfortunately. They may have improved response on the LG 32ud60-b but the tech specs seems identical to me. I only kept mine since it was very cheap (~$430) and I wanted 4k for work. If you do get it, go to www.slashdot.org for example and try scrolling it, mine behaves like on the video I posted and spills the colors all over the place. I can live with this for office work which will be it's main use but it's not ideal in games and movies for sure :( It also has visible banding. I am still hunting for a good 32 inch 4k for home...

I can't really recommend the LG 32ud59-b unfortunately. They may have improved response on the LG 32ud60-b but the tech specs seems identical to me. I only kept mine since it was very cheap (~$430) and I wanted 4k for work. If you do get it, go to www.slashdot.org for example and try scrolling it, mine behaves like on the video I posted and spills the colors all over the place. I can live with this for office work which will be it's main use but it's not ideal in games and movies for sure :( It also has visible banding. I am still hunting for a good 32 inch 4k for home...

The VA monitor I'm using now is a cheap older monitor and I'm not seeing any problems scrolling on that web site, then again I'm not using the same monitor. There are plenty of reviews of the LG 32ud59-b and even some from gaming web sites saying it's a good solid monitor, if it was such a stinker it wouldn't be so popular. I just think people are being really picky about the small things. Obviously if someone is hardcore player and is sensitive of the smallest things then the LG 32ud59-b not for them. But for most people who want a good all around big 4k monitor at a good price LG's offerings are going to be hard to beat.

Last edited:
There are plenty of reviews of the LG 32ud59-b and even some from gaming web sites saying it's a good solid monitor

Don't know what to say to that, I had 2 at home both having this. So unless they are pushing different monitors under the same name in different parts of the world (which I can't rule out) I might got 2 duds in a row or am just picking up stuff others don't, although I pretty much doubt anybody missing this after using the monitors for a few days. I can only report what I've seen, and I also filmed it and showed to others...

Last edited:
I decided to give VA another go when my Rog Swift TN panel started losing pixels and I have no regrets. The contrast shift is super slight and hard to see - it's really only at the edges. Uniformity is good, BLB is minimal and it's actually really responsive. What also impressed me is that my unit is 100% similar to that reviewed by TFTcentral - deltaE is even a touch lower on mine and gamma closer to 2.2. Yeah, I know not everyone likes 1080p on 27" but tbh with a 1080 ti and 8700k I'm digging the constantly high framerate. I'm enjoying it way more than my 1440p TN panel despite the loss of resolution.

I'm someone who likes to use his monitors in a dark room so IPS was really pissing me off to no end. Made some games unplayable.

Last edited:
Seriously. My hp 27ea is god damn perfect monitor. PERFECT! Just that corner glow... Guess more units await my wallet :p

Don't know what to say to that, I had 2 at home both having this. So unless they are pushing different monitors under the same name in different parts of the world (which I can't rule out) I might got 2 duds in a row or am just picking up stuff others don't, although I pretty much doubt anybody missing this after using the monitors for a few days. I can only report what I've seen, and I also filmed it and showed to others...

Your right all the good reviews and all the good individual reviews on newegg/Bestbuy/Amazon/Google of the LG 32ud59-b are all lying, it's a crap monitor.

Well maybe I won't jump the gun on the LG 32ud60-b just quite yet, plus it being a 4K I'd have to do some upgrades in the near future. Something else has got my eye and they got them at my local Micro center store.

MSI Optix 27" 144Hz MAG27CQ VA monitor. I'm not crazy about the curve but after watching some reviews on YouTube and reading some I may have to try it. What do you guys think ? Is the curve screen a big turn off for you ? In the past when reading about curved screens most people say after a while you don't notice it.

VA panels are like having a cataract right in the center of your eyes, try looking at a grey background, and notice the "dead space" in the center where gamma is crushed. It's not too bad until the panel size get's larger, or you sit closer. The IPS glow is pretty much the same, size and distance wise, but only bothers me on the darkest content in a dark environment. Having some lighting behind the screen, even just a little, helps a lot with the perception of the glow. It's a damn shame the true white polarizer is not being used anymore. There have been a few EIZO and Samsung PLS monitors that used something similar a few years ago, but it was a panel lottery and they were 27" or 28" only I believe.

I can deal with the glow, some panels are worse than others, the Samsung TV I am using now is not bad, but VA shift is unbearable to me.

Well maybe I won't jump the gun on the LG 32ud60-b just quite yet, plus it being a 4K I'd have to do some upgrades in the near future. Something else has got my eye and they got them at my local Micro center store.

MSI Optix 27" 144Hz MAG27CQ VA monitor. I'm not crazy about the curve but after watching some reviews on YouTube and reading some I may have to try it. What do you guys think ? Is the curve screen a big turn off for you ? In the past when reading about curved screens most people say after a while you don't notice it.

The curve will help with the gamma shift issue, if you sit at just the right distance.

Back