Its time... for a new power supply.

ZenDragon

[H]ard|Gawd
So I've been putting this off for some time now. But my 5 year old power supply is now the only thing in my case older than a year, and through all my other hardware iterations I am still having the weird BSOD error after sleep mode. SO, I figure the only thing left to replace is the power supply. It has served me well for a long long time, but its time to send it to the power supply retirement home (aka the trash).

Ive spent a lot of time browsing the power supply reviews, but many of the supplies reviewed here in the 700W range have not done well. Most barely just "passed." So I wanted to come in here and gets some opinions from you all on a few units. Some of the units Im looking at have not even been reviewed so Im not sure how they would rate.

Im looking for something in the sub 700 watt range, though I may go up to 800W if the price is right. Price is the deciding factor here, and the supplies in this range are generally what Im looking to spend. I certainly don't need any more that as my rig is not THAT spectacular. I think the most power hungry component in here is my aging 8900 GTX, though I am running a dual core phenom II, with a raptor, a regular 7200rpm drive, and a single SSD.

Some of the units I am looking at are:
  • SeaSonic M12 SS-700HM
  • Thermaltake W0106RU
  • SILVERSTONE ST70F

I am certainly open to any other suggestions you all might have. The only important features I'm looking for are 700ish watts, 80+ efficiency, reasonably quiet, and modular cables (in that order of importance). I would settle for a non-modular unit if it is exceptional otherwise.

Thank you all in advance!

Last edited:
I got the ST70F and it is by far the quietest component in my case, my HDD is more audible. No coil whine or anything too. It stays cool and only seems to get luke warm under load. Cables are really nice. Only gripe is the 8pin CPU is really short, but other than that its great.

Some of the units I am looking at are:
  • SeaSonic M12 SS-700HM
  • Thermaltake W0106RU
  • SILVERSTONE ST70F
Out of those three, the Seasonic is the best. Some better and more recent PSUs are the Antec Truepower New 750W, Seasonic M12D 750W, and Corsair HX750. Those are your best options.

+1 for the new Corsair HX750 if you must get a modular. If you want to save some money and don't necessarily need it to be modular, the Corsair TX750 is also a very good choice.

Back