It's the End of the World AMD is Profitable

Sont know how the hell that happened.. But as a AMD Fanboy it makes me smile a little bit.

LMAO at DBZ pic on their website...

I wonder if that means their power level is now over 9000?

fusion_gogita.gif

This is great news indeed. After buying many ATi and AMD products over the years this makes me happy as well.

AMD having profit will help them do even better things, and the old saying may sound corny but competition is a great thing, and we will all benefit from it. Should be an interesting next few years.

Thank God! As a long time AMD fanboy, its nice to have something to brag about other than "oh yeah, well our CPU's are cheaper".

This is great news, Llano and BD aren't even officially launched yet (only Zacate). Just can't help but wonder why they fired Dirk Meyer.

Thank God! As a long time AMD fanboy, its nice to have something to brag about other than "oh yeah, well our CPU's are cheaper".

That and Socket Compatibilty + longevity + upgrade path, and less expensive motherboards with as much or more features.

Gotta say their gpu department pulled the whole company's ass singlehandedly out of the fire, gave them enough time to develop their cpu end with Fusion.

The DAAMIT merger is looking like a stroke of genius.

I don't remember the details but it was like 2 billion financed from a loan in 2006 out of that 5.4 billion. I seriously doubt they'd have it paid off by now but at least they can get a good chunk down after this quarter. A few more profitable quarters, green will be out of the red.

Gotta say their gpu department pulled the whole company's ass singlehandedly out of the fire, gave them enough time to develop their cpu end with Fusion.

The DAAMIT merger is looking like a stroke of genius.

I don't remember the details but it was like 2 billion financed from a loan in 2006 out of that 5.4 billion. I seriously doubt they'd have it paid off by now but at least they can get a good chunk down after this quarter. A few more profitable quarters, green will be out of the red.

+ AMD has been having quicker turnovers to new GPU's compared to Nvidia. It will be interesting to see how much sooner AMD 7000 appears on the market, and when Nvidia's next gen GPU's arrive.

i thought AMD had their share of socket changes and none backwards compatibility...

Incorrect, not only do they tend to be backwards compatible, certain ones (AM2<AM2+,AM2+<AM3) are forwards compatible as well.

There are AM3 motherboards out there that will accept virtually all AM2 or greater CPUs.

Um no, there are no true AM3 boards that support AM2/+ chips. "AM3 compatible" boards are the ones that support AM2/+ chips, because they use DDR2, whereas AM3 boards only use DDR3.

I think what you meant to say was that there are AM2/+ boards that support AM3 chips.

Um no, there are no true AM3 boards that support AM2/+ chips. "AM3 compatible" boards are the ones that support AM2/+ chips, because they use DDR2, whereas AM3 boards only use DDR3.

I think what you meant to say was that there are AM2/+ boards that support AM3 chips.

nope, he had already mentioned the backwards compatibility, where he screwed up is when he started saying they were forwards compatible, which you corrected him on...

nope, he had already mentioned the backwards compatibility, where he screwed up is when he started saying they were forwards compatible, which you corrected him on...
I actually corrected him on the backwards compatibility of AM3 motherboards, not the processors. AM3 processors are backwards compatible with AM2/+ boards, but what RunningFlame said was that AM3 boards supports "virtually all AM2 or greater CPUs", in which case, one will end up with a dead CPU and/or board.

Maybe this is due to AMD's success in the graphics market? I wonder how much of AMD's revenue is generated due to add-in graphics cards...

Maybe this is due to AMD's success in the graphics market? I wonder how much of AMD's revenue is generated due to add-in graphics cards...
Being picked up by Apple and Dell using them for pretty much all of their desktops help.

This is very good news for the PC world. Competition is good!

the new ati cards are just what I was looking for when it came to gpu's. it goes back and forth, their turn in the spotlight now.

This is great news, Llano and BD aren't even officially launched yet (only Zacate). Just can't help but wonder why they fired Dirk Meyer.

kissing share holders asses most likely. share holders wanted money now and not 6 months later so they call for dirk meyer to hit the door so the company did. typical share holder bs.

probably a lot considering AMD has the contract with apple and they have continued the contract with microsoft and the xbox 360. those 2 contracts alone are a good portion of the revenue from the graphic's market. i'd say the graphic market is at least 60% of their revenue.

probably a lot considering AMD has the contract with apple and they have continued the contract with microsoft and the xbox 360. those 2 contracts alone are a good portion of the revenue from the graphic's market. i'd say the graphic market is at least 60% of their revenue.
Don't forget they make the graphics chip in the insanely popular Wii also, who's sales have only recently started to decline.

AMD still holds only $1.9 billion of cash equivalents against a long-term debt load of $2.4 billion.

Don't forget they make the graphics chip in the insanely popular Wii also, who's sales have only recently started to decline.

They'll probably be making the chip for "Stream" too. In fact I think it was confirmed as a RV770 derivative.

$54M was Operating Income, which is positive cash flow. Net Income was $510M, which is pretty damn good.

Operating is what matters.
Umh...CPU revenues dropped $21mil QoQ and without the GF non-cash gain of $492mil, you're down a $18nm net income which isn't so good actually.

The GF non-cash gain comes from the accounting methods of AMD's ownership in GF which dropped below 20% ( 12% now ) which meant it was shown on the balance sheet instead of the previous equity method.

:p AMD has had profitable quarters before.

In the Mercury Research data and from AMD's numbers, some things aren't doing that great and may make profitability had to sustain. AMD's server ASP dropped by 10%, desktop ASP was up by 1% and mobile ASP was down close to 10%. In mobile, the Mercury Research data makes it easy to see:

Code:
(in 1000s)

CPU              1Q10    2Q10    3Q10    4Q10    1Q11
Llano 4C                                            7
Ontario 2C                               1016    3159
Ontario 1C                                254     351
Phenom II X4              175     210     564     190
Phenom II X3              250     291     317     140
Phenom II X2              201     220     280     280
Turion 64 X2     1241    1328    1079    1094     242
Athon 64 X2 mob  3050    3188    3782    2487    1966
Athon 64 mob      678     708     284     210      98
Sempron/V         883    1236    1244     784     589
-----------------------------------------------------
Mobile total     5852    7086    7110    7006    7022
Bobcat is largely cannibalizing sales of other (more expensive) AMD processors. :eek:

Profitability is really going to depend on the success of Llano on the desktop and mobile, BD in servers and a bit less with BD on the desktop.

Back