It's really damning that none of the internet's talking heads are bringing up how AWFUL Nvidia's drivers have become

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbluefe

[H]ard|Gawd
Another new Nvidia driver released today and HDMI 2.1 Dolby Atmos dropout still hasn't been fixed. Auto HDR is still broken.

They sell $2,000 video cards that don't work. No one talks about it because they want to keep getting free review samples because Nvidia WILL blackball you if you actually tell the truth about their shitty products.

I really hope Intel can kick some ass in this field because we need to get away from Nvidia. Just a dog shit company.

Last edited:
I haven't really had anything go wrong with my 3060 or its drivers that I've noticed, but I'm highly considering a switch to AMD. Intel's entry into the GPU market is not looking impressive, but it's too early to cast them off completely.

No problems here, but I don't use either of the two features you're having issues with.

I think that's what irritates me about Nvidia. If something isn't a meat and potatoes feature, it's fine for it to be broken indefinitely. The bottom line is that they sold video cards that supposedly support HDMI 2.1, and it basically doesn't work.

Another new Nvidia driver released today and HDMI 2.1 Dolby Atmos dropout still hasn't been fixed. Auto HDR is still broken.

They sell $2,000 video cards that don't work. No one talks about it because they want to keep getting free review samples because Nvidia WILL blackball you if you actually tell the truth about their shitty products.

I really hope Intel can kick some ass in this field because we need to get away from Nvidia. Just a dog shit company.
Perhaps nobody is talking about it because it's not a widespread issue. This doesn't rise to the impact of the DPC latency issue from a few years ago.

I think very few people use both AMD and Nvidia concurrently. If you compare them side by side, Nvidia doesn't have anything special. Support overtime falls significantly for Nvidia, whereas AMD's hardware keeps running fine.

There are like 3 of us that have an HDMI 2.1 + Atmos setup, so I suspect we're a pretty low priority. How bad is yours? For me, it drops out for a second or two every few hours, so I'm only barely bothered by it.
Auto-HDR is working fine, though.

I've been on 512.59 for a couple months now on the trusty ole GTX 1080.

Zero crashes/oddities, G-Sync works great via DP, & I'm feeding 3 displays.

(Granted, going back to my AMD HD 6950 days, I've always had trouble with HDMI audio output from a video card..)

It's really damning that none of the internet's talking heads are bringing up how AWFUL Nvidia's drivers have become​

None of the Internet's talking heads do features on PC Audio.

I am sure that Gamer's Nexus, Linus Tech Tips, Harware Unboxed, Etc-----have people working for them, whom love audio. But they nearly never feature audio in their reporting/reviews, etc.

As for HDR, its usually an afterthought. However, Hardware Unboxed is separating their monitor reviews into a separate channel. I would message them and say that you would like to see content investigating HDR on PC.

As for driver issues in general------a couple of years ago when AMD had fairly widespread issues with the 5700/5700XT ----- Gamer's Nexus and Hardware Unboxed both said they were not having those issues, themselves.

There are like 3 of us that have an HDMI 2.1 + Atmos setup, so I suspect we're a pretty low priority. How bad is yours? For me, it drops out for a second or two every few hours, so I'm only barely bothered by it.
Auto-HDR is working fine, though.
The fact that any advertised feature in $2,000 video cards doesn't work and can BE a "low priority" to begin with says it all.

There shouldn't be any priorities. The features you advertise either work or they don't.

The fact that any advertised feature in $2,000 video cards doesn't work and can BE a "low priority" to begin with says it all.

There shouldn't be any priorities. The features you advertise either work or they don't.

It does work? I get a whopping one-second audio dropout every few hours at most. There's a pretty big difference in something not working and something that works 99% of the time.
Auto-HDR works fine for me.

It does work? I get a whopping one-second audio dropout every few hours at most. There's a pretty big difference in something not working and something that works 99% of the time.
Auto-HDR works fine for me.
Uh, hi. Audio isn't supposed to cut out on expensive high end electronic equipment. There is no 99% of the time. It either works or it doesn't. If it happens in the middle of the movie a huge cleaveland steamer just got laid on your chest tarnishing the experience. The whole point of spending a lot of money on hardware is to GET reliability.

I think very few people use both AMD and Nvidia concurrently. If you compare them side by side, Nvidia doesn't have anything special. Support overtime falls significantly for Nvidia, whereas AMD's hardware keeps running fine.

Yes it does actually. AMD doesn't offer adaptive V-sync, while Nvidia does.

Uh, hi. Audio isn't supposed to cut out on expensive high end electronic equipment. There is no 99% of the time. It either works or it doesn't. If it happens in the middle of the movie a huge cleaveland steamer just got laid on your chest tarnishing the experience. The whole point of spending a lot of money on hardware is to GET reliability.
Wait, quesiton. Domingo has stated how long this causes an issue for them (1s/couple hours), are you having an issue at the same rate?

Just curious, because if you have a 1s audio lapse every couple hours I would say this is a non issue. To put it into context, my vehicle has Bluetooth. The car retails around the 35k range and my phone has by, retails around $1500. Sometimes when I am driving, my audio stops and I have to toggle inputs to get it back.

That's on something that costs $36500. Your 2k 1s/couple hours sounds like you're being a baby, truly. To be fair, I get you don't want ANY issues, but Jesus bro, 1s every couple hours isn't even mentionable.

If 2s during a movie completely ruins a movie for you, seek therapy.

Or, (and I know this sounds crazy), get a proper soundcard/DAC and feed your audio to the sound system that way?

- It's not the most elegant solution but it's far better than being in the 0.01% of people Nvidia don't fix issues for..
But, I think the issue for Nvidia, and anyone who chases code issues can relate, finding what's causing a random 2s audio issue every few hours would be hell and fixing one thing may fix or break another.

I shouldn't feel like an alien for expecting electronics to work.

6lapn2.jpg

Hence the problem.
Speaking for the 99.9% of us not running HDMI 2.1 + Atmos, it's not. Nvidia (and all companies for that matter) has a finite number of resources. Most of us benefit from them not wasting them on squashing such obscure bugs. I'm sure they will get to it when they don't have better things to do or the technology progresses enough that more users care. For all we know this worked fine when the were developing it and some obscure Windows change broke it or some equipment isn't properly implementing the standard.

Unfortunately that's frequently not the case in the enthusiast market. When you are an early adopter of high end tech you are bound to have issues. Expensive and reliable is a whole different market segment and frankly isn't typically cutting edge tech.

Many of us have been there. I was first inline for SLI, Xfire, Eyefinity, 3D surround, PhysX, some obscure monitor backlights I can't even remember the name of, etc. I probably spent just as much time messing with all of them to get a decent experience as I did actually using them. That's just the cost of having cool future tech now.

Stop pretending it's complicated when it's not. You fucking scumbags would complain endlessly if every game you ran on your computer randomly hitched every 2 hours, but because you don't have a home theater setup and aren't personally invested in it, you're trying to marginalize it like it's not a huge fuck up. You're scum.

You realize that there have been issues with Nvidia in the past that stayed on their "open issues" list indefinitely until they eventually admitted it was just a hardware defect and then quietly buried it, right? I'm assuming that's what's going on with the Dolby Atmos dropouts, but of course, with all the flaming BITCH consumers around here, they have impunity. Way to go Nvidia. Keep fleecing the sheep.

If you're going to keep buying Nvidia's products regardless then you're not giving them much incentive to change their ways.

If you're going to keep buying Nvidia's products regardless then you're not giving them much incentive to change their ways.

Let's not jump to conclusions when it's really more a matter of getting bored of waiting for someone to release a working product.

The funny thing is that the audio cutting out is exclusive to the Atmos audio setting on an HDMI 2.1 AVR, and it's sporadic. PCM 7.1 doesn't do it.
While it supposedly happens across all AVR's (per the Nvidia rep I was interacting with), it's worse on some vs. others. I had an Onkyo AVR that was way worse with it. It would full-on disable my audio device every few hours. Onkyo actually accepted a return for a 100% refund (3 months after purchase) after owning that it was excessive. That honestly was a major pain in the ass, and both Nvidia and Onkyo said as much. My current Denon only blips for about a second every few hours. There's no rhyme or reason to it, and I don't consider it a big deal. If I still had that Onkyo, I'd have different feelings, but that's also why I returned the damned thing.

Yes it does actually. AMD doesn't offer adaptive V-sync, while Nvidia does.
What rock have you been living under?
Nvidias implementation is basically DOA while AMD's is the new mainstem. So much so that Nvidia now mostly supports AMD's adaptive vsync.

Auto HDR and atmos audio work fine for me.

I might have the 1second dropout occasionally, don't even think it's due to the Nvidia drivers tbh versus windows itself or the AVR. I haven't played an atmos game in a while, they barely exist :*( but when I did I didn't get dropouts for the longest time. It's honestly still so rare that I barely register it as an issue.

Regarding nvidia drivers, I was very disappointed to learn that you can't use G-Sync/Freesync while running your monitor at a DLDSR resolution. I really love both of those features and I hate having to choose.

Enhanced Sync is AMDs version of Fast Sync, it has nothing to do with Adaptive Sync or Free Sync.

For your reading pleasure, the source.
Sure, its not technically the same as Nvidia's adaptive sync. But, it does the same basic thing: framerate above the monitor refresh---is synced. Framerate below the monitor refresh, is not.

Enhanced sync, assuming its implemented correctly, should be strictly better than Nvidia's regular Adaptive sync (as opposed to their 'fast sync', which is a variation of adaptive sync. And technically more similar to AMD's enhanced sync).

Sure, its not technically the same as Nvidia's adaptive sync. But, it does the same basic thing: framerate above the monitor refresh---is synced. Framerate below the monitor refresh, is not.

Enhanced sync, assuming its implemented correctly, should be strictly better than Nvidia's regular Adaptive sync (as opposed to their 'fast sync', which is a variation of adaptive sync. And technically more similar to AMD's enhanced sync).
What you are describing is not adaptive sync, it's not even close to adaptive sync. Adaptive sync is when the monitor dynamically changes the refresh rate to match the FPS on the fly; ergo, the FPS drops to 96 and the monitor changes it refresh rate at the moment to 96 and if it jumps to 105 the monitor also raises the refresh rate to 105 at that very moment.

What you described it 100% Fast Sync which nvidia introduced with the GTX 1000 series back in 2009. If it too AMD 8 years to implement a similar feature, then I'm rather impressed that they lagged behind so badly.

What you are describing is not adaptive sync, it's not even close to adaptive sync. Adaptive sync is when the monitor dynamically changes the refresh rate to match the FPS on the fly; ergo, the FPS drops to 96 and the monitor changes it refresh rate at the moment to 96 and if it jumps to 105 the monitor also raises the refresh rate to 105 at that very moment.

What you described it 100% Fast Sync which nvidia introduced with the GTX 1000 series back in 2009. If it too AMD 8 years to implement a similar feature, then I'm rather impressed that they lagged behind so badly.
This is exactly what freesync does. So much confusion in this thread.

I am sorry that you are having issues with specific features you care about (I don't use those two). For me nvidia drivers have the best they've ever been, including with some niche uses/games I had trouble with in the past. So from my point of view... they have only gotten better than ever.

Last edited:

Nvidia's adaptive sync locks the framreate to monitor refresh rate via vsync, when the framerate would otherwise go above the monitor refresh rate. And no vsync, when the framerate dips below.

Fast Sync uses various buffers to keep the framreate unlocked even when it rises above the monitor refresh. but it still syncs frames with the monitor refresh and attempts to simply ignore/drop the unneeded frames.

So, you still get a lot of the benefit of an unlocked framerate, but also still get synced frames to avoid tearing.

AMD's enhanced sync works around the same idea.

Freesync and gsync do not sync frames above the monitor fresh, so you get tearing, at that point. This is part of why Nvidia recommends vsync on at the same time as gsync. And why AMD recommends enhanced sync with freesync.

My understanding was that the Auto-HDR issues were windows issues and not videocard issues. Or is windows getting good enough for auto-hdr that the blame is now getting shifted to the video cards?

Honest question because I've been avoiding buying HDR monitors because of how bad I heard it was.

Also, even without nvidia, my HDMI-ARC surround sound system in my living room drops out pretty much once every 4 hours, nearly like clockwork. So I wonder if it has something to do with the standard. (I don't consider it a big deal.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back