It's official - Windows 7 in October

A friend of mine messaged me with the news, and then I read it over on Engadget. Looks like my next build will start around October.

Sweet. I'm happy the launch is sooner than anticipated. I'm willing to upgrade. I got the RC(dual boot), but still using vista as my main os till final release of 7. Now, to wait for pricing. I hope its not stupid expensive.

"I can tell you that the licensing tiers at retail are more expensive than they were for Vista." "

but he cant tell us by how much, and also he is hinting that OEM versions will stay the same. microsoft has always stated that win7 will be priced the same as vista was a launch, and i believe thats exactly how it will be.

I'm running RC1 right now, and I'm planning on upgrading as soon as it comes out.

Its running on my (slightly outdated)laptop right now.. 16gb partition.. 1gb ram.. 1.6ghz cpu.... and it's running flawlessly!

Being two generations ahead, I would've thought it'd require more resources than XP, but it feels faster and smoother.

Hopefully, the CS department at my university will have it available for free, as it did with xp and vista.

Glad to hear it is official. Now if only they would announce details about when you can get coupons. My mom needs a new PC and I don't want to buy one with Vista with Win 7 around the corner.

I am actually disapointed it is coming out so soon. How many people out there recently bought Vista thinking it was finally bug free enough to switch.
I been useing Vista for a whle now and have recently been useing 7 RC1 as well. I got to say overall I prefer 7. It just seems to run smoother, cant be more specific than that, sorry.
I got my version of Vista thru the Feedback program Microsoft had so I didn't have to pay for it. would be really nice to find a program like that that will come with free copies of 7.

Vista came out ~2.5 years ago (ok, so the end of July is 2.5 years, since January of 2007) which means Microsoft made it back to their pre-XP release schedule of a new OS about every 18-24 months, give or take a few.

As for buying it thinking it was bug free, could say the same thing about Leopard since Apple has admitted that Snow Leopard is one big bug/performance fix and not really much else. Of course, it remains to be seen what those smarmy bastards will throw in by the time it's done and claim it's a totally new OS...

I CALL SHENANIGANS!!! :D

Glad to hear it is official. Now if only they would announce details about when you can get coupons. My mom needs a new PC and I don't want to buy one with Vista with Win 7 around the corner.
Same here.

I'm thinking of buying a laptop in 3 months, but it looks like I can't cuz I don't wanna get Vista on it when 7's coming out this soon.

Besides, it's a tablet PC with multitouch capabilities that I'm looking at, so it pretty much *requires* 7.

I'm thinking of buying a laptop in 3 months, but it looks like I can't cuz I don't wanna get Vista on it when 7's coming out this soon.

I remember quite a few sites reporting that participating computer manufacturers would offer a free Upgrade to Windows 7, if you bought a machine from them after July 1st. Microsoft came out and basically said they weren't announcing anything like that at this time, but I'm sure (or at least hoping) it's true. The same thing happened with Vista. I bought my wife a laptop that had XP on it, and Vista was RIGHT around the corner. HP had a form on their site, you filled it out, and they shipped a free Vista disk.

Same here.

Besides, it's a tablet PC with multitouch capabilities that I'm looking at, so it pretty much *requires* 7.

There was a posting in the News forum in the Windows 7 thread that stated something like the upgrade program would run from July 31st through January 31st, but was unconfirmed. That almost sounds about right, and since Microsoft has "officially" set Oct 22 as the general release date, I would expect a period of time from about July (at some point in the month) through January for those upgrades to be effective.

So, since you're planning on getting a laptop/tablet in ~3 months, that should fall squarely into that upgrade path. More info will be coming with confirmation on the upgrade dates too, so hang out and keep looking for good prices on that tablet.

I'd expect to see some new models hit the market in the next 3 months, with a lot more multitouch capability than we have now...

Cool, thanks for the positive info, Joe.

The tablet PC I was talking about is the HP tx2-1000 (more specifically, one of the canadian models tx2-1024ca). It runs for about C$1100, which seems pretty affordable for a tablet. And it has better-than-intel graphics. But mostly I just wanna try out a touchscreen device for things like surfing the web on a couch, etc. It's like a big iPhone, right? :D

I.. guess this is good. I'll pick up a copy.. maybe. I'm very pleased with Vista.

I am actually disapointed it is coming out so soon. How many people out there recently bought Vista thinking it was finally bug free enough to switch.

Who cares?? If they bought the Apple nonsense and tech media BS about Vista, their loss.

Cool, thanks for the positive info, Joe.

The tablet PC I was talking about is the HP tx2-1000 (more specifically, one of the canadian models tx2-1024ca). It runs for about C$1100, which seems pretty affordable for a tablet. And it has better-than-intel graphics. But mostly I just wanna try out a touchscreen device for things like surfing the web on a couch, etc. It's like a big iPhone, right? :D

I have this tablet and I must say overall I've been pretty happy with it. I got mine last November. The unit can produce a lot of heat and noise when running at full power, that's the biggest flaw of this unit.

I've been running Windows 7 on my tx2z since the Beta went public back in Janurary and overall I must say that it runs very well. The biggest problem I'm having with Windows 7 with the tx2z are the touch and multi-touch capabilities. Since giong to RC1 with the latest N-Trig (the company that makes the digitzer and touch interface for the tx2z) drivers I've not had a lot of luck with getting touch working well. Others I've talked to say that everything seems to be pretty solid for them so I need to go back a take another look at this.

If you have any specific questions let me know.

Joe Average said:
There was a posting in the News forum in the Windows 7 thread that stated something like the upgrade program would run from July 31st through January 31st, but was unconfirmed. That almost sounds about right, and since Microsoft has "officially" set Oct 22 as the general release date, I would expect a period of time from about July (at some point in the month) through January for those upgrades to be effective.

There are several dates floating around and although nothing official the following site claims to update such news as it becomes available.

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=609&pgno=1

I didn't know there was an official date out. I'm glad to hear it! I've been using Windows 7 a bit recently (hadn't until now) and I'm really liking it. I should be able to get it through MSDN (score!) but if not I plan on buying it.

Back