It's official: I'm a complete WUSS

Cmustang87

Supreme [H]ardness
I can't even finish the Amnesia demo without flying out of my chair in hysteria.

This game (demo) is terrifying.

You're not alone.

(Think I told this in another thread but oh well)
I still haven't touched STALKER after one of those tentacle monster things attacked me in a dark sewer. :p

You're not alone.

I still haven't touched STALKER after one of those tentacle monster things attacked me in a dark sewer. :p

I remember that thing, he would like get inside your head or something. I get that same eerie goosubumpy feeling when playing Amnesia.

I love the fact that this game was developed by just a few dudes and making their own engine. Mind-blowing. :confused:

I remember that thing, he would like get inside your head or something. I get that same eerie goosubumpy feeling when playing Amnesia.

That would be the Controller mutant. Yeah he freaked me out too.

Amnesia really isn't that scary once you realize how the enemy AI works and how most everything else is just Doom 3 quality jump-scares.

I was actually talking about the Bloodsucker. Didn't even get far enough to see the Controller.
http://images.theglobeandmail.com/archives/RTGAM/images/20070402/wstalker0402/Stalker2_800big.jpg

What kind of game is Amnesia anyway? Like action or puzzle or...?
The only "horror" game I've liked is "Theresia: Dear Emile" for the DS, but it didn't even have any monsters/opponents.

Those monsters seriously messed with me. I think I shut it down for a bit after I came across those, but if you went further you would come across the Mutant Controller in the sewers. Flat out haunting.

Amnesia is a horror/puzzle game. There is a free demo on Steam, also a decent trailer that gives you an idea. You would have to play it to see. Turn your lights off, and surround sound headphones are optimum.

I didn't really think the demo was too scary, I mean it definitely freaked me out running and knowing something was coming from behind me. I wasn't like "holy crap I can't play this anymore, I'm too freaked out" though. I did buy the game during the Halloween sale but I haven't started it yet....I'm sure some of those "have to stop playing" moments will be here shortly though. ;)

I thought the Demo was pretty good. It really put you in the Mode. I wasnt really scared so to say just felt like I was really living it. I liked it alot

So am I the only one who booted the demo up and thought it had absolutely horrible performance for what it looked like?

Haha, this game is awesome. I haven't had the spare cash to pick it up yet, but a friend of mine bought it. Now he calls me every night because he wants to keep playing but is too terrified to play it by himself.

IMO it's a really neat game those guys made. The graphics are good enough (running on a 5870) to immerse you completely. Definitely if your going to play it, as someone else said, turn the lights out and put some surround sound headphones on. You'll jump I promise.

Its amazing what you can accomplish with the right mechanics. Amnesia might only have decent graphics, but a single thing like having to open doors slowly and manually makes it incredibly immersive. The new mechanics added to the ones like in the Penumbra games are also well thought out IMO

I have finished stalker lurk 1.1 and clear sky both at the highest difficulty, they had their creepy moments but still nothing too serious. Deadly Premonition on the other hand can make me completely freak out sometimes, I even occasionally look away from the screen to check my back because it makes me feel somehow vulnerable when playing, other times i just get so anxious like if they catch me i'm the one who dies, resident evil 1 - 0 on gamecube were even worse, i can't play them without getting the chills so i have given up on them !!

Plus i know a girl in the gym who has the same exact face as Jill Valentine and I really don't want to see her image / or think about her too often for personal reasons. :( :p

how come I never heard of Amnesia: The Dark Descent before?...did it not get a lot of hype?...I just looked at some reviews online and they all agree that it's one of the scariest games they've played although it has its faults...seems like a great survival/psychological horror game...think I'll pick it up soon (hopefully Steam will have a great deal on it soon)

I remember in Stalker, although I did beat it, the little industrial area you get to right after the major encampment had some ladders and roofs you could climb onto. I was getting chased by the invisible bloodsuckers and dogs. I was trapped up there for a damn half hour because I was too afraid to go down there. At once point they tried climbing the damn ladder!

Cryostasis gave me a couple of good scares that I jump off the chair. The wife had a great time scaring me from behind too when I was playing. At points I would have the fire Axe and when a monster pop up, I will tell myself you want to fight come on to give me the courage to keep going. LoL

I have finished stalker lurk 1.1 and clear sky both at the highest difficulty, they had their creepy moments but still nothing too serious. Deadly Premonition on the other hand can make me completely freak out sometimes, I even occasionally look away from the screen to check my back because it makes me feel somehow vulnerable when playing, other times i just get so anxious like if they catch me i'm the one who dies, resident evil 1 - 0 on gamecube were even worse, i can't play them without getting the chills so i have given up on them !!

Plus i know a girl in the gym who has the same exact face as Jill Valentine and I really don't want to see her image / or think about her too often for personal reasons. :( :p

Just reminded me I need to go get deadly premonition. I wish it was on PC.

Agreed for creepiness factor Resident Evil Rebirth and 0 are definitely a couple of my favorites in the series.

how come I never heard of Amnesia: The Dark Descent before?...did it not get a lot of hype?...I just looked at some reviews online and they all agree that it's one of the scariest games they've played although it has its faults...seems like a great survival/psychological horror game...think I'll pick it up soon (hopefully Steam will have a great deal on it soon)

You most likely haven't heard of it because the 5 guys that made it probably didn't have much money to advertise it :p. I hope they profited very well from Penumbra and also Amnesia: Dark Descent because I want to see more titles from these guys.

Actually they where so broke they barely managed to make this game. This game has been pirated a lot and it really affects them. I read depending how well this game keeps selling they decide to keep going or go on their separate ways.

I really don't get the hype. I gave this an honest try and played the demo for a while and found it to be more annoying than anything, the controls are terribad not much is happening and perhaps I am just too desensitized but I didn't find it scary at all.

I really don't get the hype. I gave this an honest try and played the demo for a while and found it to be more annoying than anything, the controls are terribad not much is happening and perhaps I am just too desensitized but I didn't find it scary at all.

What about the controls is bad?

Hotkey for your items, hotkey for your flashlight, hotkey for the notepad.

WASD movement.

the rest is mouse control. If you think thats bad than 95% of all games made are bad.

What about the controls is bad?

the rest is mouse control. If you think thats bad than 95% of all games made are bad.
It's the way mouse control interacts with items and the camera perspective as a whole, I guess camera isn't controls but meh.

Well, the first requisite for being scared/creeped out is that you need to immerse yourself in the game, if you're not able to this - for any reason - you're obviously not going to get that experience.

Amnesia isn't for everyone, it's not your usual game, it's almost solely about atmosphere and being immersed, the tempo is slow, and for these ADD kids today who needs constant explosions, rewards and item loot, it's just not going to be their thing.

I think the game's great, but I can understand many would find it boring. Usually the type of people who don't read books because they can't sit still for even a few minutes unless something's "happening" all the time. They just lack the attention span/focus required.

Never heard of this before, but looking around for some details - it seems cool. I'll have to pick this up or see if it's on Steam.

I'm hoping this game goes on sale during the Steam holiday sales! I never saw it before, but after watching the trailer I'm very interested!

To be honest, I think this game would work well with PlayStation Move. The mouse interaction is unique but I think the Move controller would suite it as well.

It's a blast to play and one of the better budget games this year. But, yeah. I feel like a girl when I play it, too.

It's not that I'm scared easily but I "suspend disbelief" enough to allow myself to be engulfed by the experience. That can only make a game like this more fun.:)

Amnesia was actually developed by the same guys that did Penumbra.

Also, if you can deal with the dated graphics, you HAVE to play Undying. Holy. Freakin'. Crap.

Undying was the bomb. Penumbra pissed me off (shitty controls, got totally lost at the beginning). Probably will not buy this one, not because it's a bad game, but because the "scary genre" does not interest me.

Undying was a cool shooter with scary elements. But the scary was definitely secondary to me.

Penumbra definitely had its problems, but overall I'd say their goal of completely immersing you in your environment worked great.

Oddly enough, shitty controls were why I couldn't do STALKER. The weapons felt like they had no "weight", and the aiming was crazy loose. Not bad equipment loose, but bad design loose.

You're not alone.

Was that the mod where you play as a Japanese schoolgirl? I don't remember there being monsters like that, but my memory is trash.

Penumbra definitely had its problems, but overall I'd say their goal of completely immersing you in your environment worked great.

Oddly enough, shitty controls were why I couldn't do STALKER. The weapons felt like they had no "weight", and the aiming was crazy loose. Not bad equipment loose, but bad design loose.

do yourself a favor and install LURK 1.1 + the small AI patch found on its moddb page, i have posted my detailed impressions here -> http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1036027252&highlight=lurk#post1036027252

Weapons sound and feel plain awesome I'm sure you will agree with me, thanks to this mod the game held my attention to very end, i even cared enought that i finished it with the "good ending" ( there are 7 different ending FMVs mind you )

do yourself a favor and install LURK 1.1 + the small AI patch found on its moddb page, i have posted my detailed impressions here -> http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1036027252&highlight=lurk#post1036027252

Weapons sound and feel plain awesome I'm sure you will agree with me, thanks to this mod the game held my attention to very end, i even cared enought that i finished it with the "good ending" ( there are 7 different ending FMVs mind you )

Awesome, thanks for the tip!

Back