It's Official - FireFox is goin bu-bye! I cant stand it anymore.

mosin said:
Mouse Gestures won't work in it yet, so I'll stay where I am. Thanks anyway.

Go to about:config. Right-click, New -> String. Enter "app.extensions.version" without the quotes. In the next window, enter "1.0" again without quotes.

Voila, Firefox 1.5 beta1 is now backwards-compatible with all 1.0 extensions.

Terpfen said:
Go to about:config. Right-click, New -> String. Enter "app.extensions.version" without the quotes. In the next window, enter "1.0" again without quotes.

Voila, Firefox 1.5 beta1 is now backwards-compatible with all 1.0 extensions.
Doesn't work.

Perrupa said:
Wow, I'm going to try and not be a jerk by saying I've never had any of those problems so I'll refrain from saying it :p

Ill be a jerk, I don't care. I have never had any of those problems. It seems like your problems are coming from something other than firefox itself.

You know I was about to switch from FF to Opera. Simply because in my short time of using Opera, it feels so much lighter, smoother scrolling, and it loads on my system faster. The only thing I know I will miss is my extensions. So yesterday and today I spent alot of time in the Opera forums trying to get to know the product better. During that time I came in contact with the most ARROGANT F'IN ROOSTER BLOWERS I ever met in my life! I chatted on Yahoo with one guy about customizing Opera which lead to their forums, and one things for sure, according to them FF is the worst product ever released to the public.

Extensions suck, we had tabs first, Opera is a total out-of-the-box experience they say. It is nice but most of the statements they made were false. I finally found myself defending FF more than trying to learn Opera. What a crock! I finally told them yes, Opera has more features "out-of-the-box". But consider this. FF has 661(last time I checked) ext.'s . Now use for example that 100(being QUITE generous) of those would be needed to replicate Opera. That leaves 561 ext.s. Assume that half are duplicates(do the same thing). We have 280(rounding down for the Opera fans) ext.s avaibable that Opera can never have by design.

I got more email from Opera fan boys than you'd imagine in the last 4 hours. I never once had anyone act like this in Mozilla forums when I asked if FF was better than IE all those years ago. I like the product but the people seriously suck ass! For now Im staying with FF, at least in Mozilla forums ill be treated with respect and not get hate mail...lol. Damn its been a long day. Sorry but had to get that off my chest.

Using 1.5 now for a few days i still seem to get the slow starts up - sometimes - and large emory usage

i have one FF window open with 4 tabs and am using 54mb of ram.. still seems high for me :(

i didnt note, but perhaps it is the flash pages that are killing my CPU speed - will have to note what types of pages i visit.

i still get the slow start up - somtimes - seems less frequent. - I have 1.5 installed one 2 other systems so will have to ask the people using them what they have noticed so far

As for opera - dont you have to pay for it - and if not you get banners flashing ? To me you cant compare a free product vs a paid for one. - the last time i tried opera, perhaps i am so used to IE and FF i didnt like the feel / flow of it at all! - but perhaps try it just for the fun of it again

Always up for trying something at least once..

MrGuvernment said:
As for opera - dont you have to pay for it - and if not you get banners flashing ? To me you cant compare a free product vs a paid for one. - the last time i tried opera, perhaps i am so used to IE and FF i didnt like the feel / flow of it at all! - but perhaps try it just for the fun of it again

There was a thread in hot deals about a code to get it free for the full version.

Spectre said:
There was a thread in hot deals about a code to get it free for the full version.

Yup. It's nice having 2 options (other than IE). Of course, usually if it doesn't work in FF it's not gonna work in Opera either. But you never know I guess.

I'm not sure if the (op) has these affected systems on a network, but if they are, there may be something that is global to the network that is causing like/like behavior with FF on all of these machines. FF for my little home network only takes 1 second to open - on any of the machines. All bookmarks are there no matter how many windows of FF are open, or tabs. In any case i only use a few extensions anyway (3 on each machine to be exact) so i'm thinking the problem on op's machine could be a combination of the extensions used, and or, internet networks settings, or even firewall settings maybe if one copy (network global) is used and configured across the network might be causing it perhaps. One way to know is do direct connect with one machine that is acting up on XP SP2 (or SP1 or basic z/a) default firewall without any hardware firewalls and see if FF loads faster. I can't imagine FF taking so long to start up, and i can't imagine the bookmarks not being there with other browser windows open as that has never happened to me. Honestly to me it sounds like a combination of things gone wrong somehow.

No FF startup issues here, on a 2400 TbredB, 2400 Barton-M, P4 1.7, and P3 0.933

Have you checked for issues between the keyboard and chair? I find that's where most of my software issues come from.

Wow - first let me start by thanking you for scaring the crap out of me because you personally are having problems with your browser setup. I was expecting an official Mozilla link showing they are discontinuing their efforts.

Firefox is fine on all my systems as everyone else here has repeated. I do only use Linux but added this to one XP machine we have at work and it was fine too.

MrGuvernment said:
So, how many of you also experience the same issue? i have used the bug reporting system for all of the above - but seems no resolutions yet
Occasionaly there are times when I yell "what the hell. You hunk of shit" at it, but it is far more rare than what I have to yell at internet explorer.

I still have nightmares from Internet Explorer.

Btw, visit www.toastytech.com as a refresher. Take some time to review what you are reverting back to.

I had the same experience with firefox, we've had to reformat computers ont he netowrk here to keep using it. I just don't think the software is ready fro prime time yet. I've also been using thunderbird, which I like over outlook express, but it as well take a good 30 secs to load, and when it's been minimized for a while, it takes another 30secs to load. Outlook did not. I'm lloking foward to IE 7. Before anyone makes a crack about security flaws.... As long as you're responsible, and keep you keep your computer up to date, you will experience no problems this is how it's done in a buisness environment, we run symantec corp, have smoothwall corp, all workstations are either XP pro or 2k pro, the only open source we are using and have working are 4 servers running redhat ES3, and 1 more running fedora core 3. I'm all for using what's best, but if it's flawed, I'm not going to promote it, sorry. We had tried using firefox on all workstations just for the heck of it, but it caused more problems than we needed, and also when having to add a new workstation it's much easier to have to install as little software as possible. I do think we will be switching to thunderbird.

The only problems I have with firefox is that it is slow to load the first time I open it after starting the computer and being a memory hog. But neither one of these really bothered me. I can wait an extra 20 seconds per day for it to open and I have 2 gigs of ram in my machine so firefox only using 100+mb or it is not an issue since I usually have atleast 1.6gb of it free.

haha, i have the same issues, sorta. firefox takes a CRAP load of memory when i have like 6 tabs open. and wen i wake up and turn my monitor on and touch my mouse, my cpu runs @ 100% for like 2 - 3 mins and then goes back to 2 - 5%.
anyways, i havent read the entire thread YET, but u can get maxthon aka MYIE2, looks just like firefox. its basically a shell for IE.

MrGuvernment said:
Well after a good almost 2 years of loving and promoting FireFox, i am no longer using it, nor promoting it - i have read many threads of other feeling the same way - i know some people have no issues @ all - i was one, but no any more.

ever since 1.04 the program seems to have done nothing but gotten worse and worse and there is no sign of improvement, it is like since they are getting bigger, they are going the IE route of releasing buggy, not completle software or something......

i have done and tried everything, but the issue are presitent! and dont go away.

lets get started

I have used FireFox on approximatly 6 diff systems - ranging from Xp / XP SP1 / Xp Sp2 / Window Server 2003 / Sererv 2003 SP1 - laptops, desktops - some with IDE / SATA / SCSI drives - 512 of ram - 1g - P4 2ghz upto a p4 3.0 @ 3.6 as well as dual opteron and duel xeon' rigs.

I experience these problems on all systems - many have been freshly formated and FireFox the only thing on them for weeks on end until i do something with them.

issues:

* Opening FireFox takes approx. 30-45 seconds to open and causes EXCESSIVE harddrive activity reading.
* opening 1 FireFox and opening 4-6 tabs jacks up memory usage to 50-60mb of system ram - having 15+ tabs open i am looking @ around 180MB of ram usage
* Opening a 2nd instance of FireFox while one is open (2 seperate windows) the 2nd window is missing my bookmarks - i have to close both to get them to come back - this only happens sometimes.
* When right clicking on a link to open in new tab - firefox pauses and causes the entire system to stop responding to anything until it is done (10-20seconds) - this happens more often then not.
* typing in a web site address to have FireFox tell me the site is not availible - do a search for the site in google, clikc the link - works fine
* I highlight a single word, yet when i move my mouse it continues to highlight items even thought ia m not holding the mouse down

All of these problem have come to the point i am so annoyed and frustrated as the way i surf web sites all of the above cause me much annoyance i just hard shut off my PC and walk away, i think i have anger issue as last night i was ready to toss my Dell 2004FPW off my desk cause all of the above kept happening over and over and over!

So, how many of you also experience the same issue? i have used the bug reporting system for all of the above - but seems no resolutions yet

Is there a plug-in for tabbed browsing on IE or do i need to wait for IE7 oficially ?

lol

some hilarious response - yes, no problems between the chair and the mouse - or the network :)

i dont have any extensions installed on FF - i like it just the way it is - our network is fine - @ work we have 2 seperate networks with various comps i use on both - as well as @ my house - where i have used FF with no router, just straight modem to comp to make sure.

i have beat the "process of elimination" tree to death and all it seems to come down to is FF.

Flash pages KILL it - when right clicking / open in new tab and that new page has flash on it - FF pauses while my HD activity goes nuts, this happened today, i waited 23 seconds before icould clikc on the active FF window , or any for that matter - otherwise i just got the hour glass :(

Rght now i got 1 FF window open with 3 tabs - all on [H] and FF is using 85mb of ram - like come on!

I just tried 3 tabs all on [H] and get 27mb. Not sure whats different. I know one thing, browsers are giving me shit lately trying to figure them out..lol.

4 tabs, 32 megs

more images = more memory usage

Never had a problem with FF. Runs on my machine here at work (sometimes "freezes" meaning that FF stops responding, too lazy to look into it), at home (no issues, ever), and on my girlfriend's machine. She was reluctant at first but I've got her hooked. Hell, my sister and nephew picked up on it without me even saying a word.

I don't use the official builds, just moox or someone else's build if it seems to be decent. I clear out the entire profile directory when I upgrade and don't install 30 extensions. There's only so much shit you can pile on top of one thing before it comes crashing down...what extensions were you running (not sure if I saw that)? Remember not all coders know about what every other extension does.

In short, PEBKAC and IBM errors. Oh yeah, good thing you're filling out your ID10T forms as well. :p :p :p

PaHick said:
You know I was about to switch from FF to Opera. Simply because in my short time of using Opera, it feels so much lighter, smoother scrolling, and it loads on my system faster. The only thing I know I will miss is my extensions. So yesterday and today I spent alot of time in the Opera forums trying to get to know the product better. During that time I came in contact with the most ARROGANT F'IN ROOSTER BLOWERS I ever met in my life! I chatted on Yahoo with one guy about customizing Opera which lead to their forums, and one things for sure, according to them FF is the worst product ever released to the public.

Extensions suck, we had tabs first, Opera is a total out-of-the-box experience they say. It is nice but most of the statements they made were false. I finally found myself defending FF more than trying to learn Opera. What a crock! I finally told them yes, Opera has more features "out-of-the-box". But consider this. FF has 661(last time I checked) ext.'s . Now use for example that 100(being QUITE generous) of those would be needed to replicate Opera. That leaves 561 ext.s. Assume that half are duplicates(do the same thing). We have 280(rounding down for the Opera fans) ext.s avaibable that Opera can never have by design.

I got more email from Opera fan boys than you'd imagine in the last 4 hours. I never once had anyone act like this in Mozilla forums when I asked if FF was better than IE all those years ago. I like the product but the people seriously suck ass! For now Im staying with FF, at least in Mozilla forums ill be treated with respect and not get hate mail...lol. Damn its been a long day. Sorry but had to get that off my chest.

What help with Opera do you need.? Opera's my favorite browser, but I have no problem telling what it can't do, but if you like Firefox so much, why do you want to use Opera?

In the opera forums we do get some nasties. We get a lot of the "Firefox is awesome! Opera sucks. Why should I use Opera?" threads where you can tell the poster's needs require him to use Firefox, but instead he wants Opera to turn into Firefox. We get things like "If Opera isn't going to have extensions, then I'm going to use Firefox". That fine. We want you to use what fits your needs. We do have a wish list forum of course. The majority of Opera users don't want extensions. We like our wishes integrated nicely. They can always be turned off. It's something that people need to face and Opera can do lots of things that extensions do if you just try, but many are too stubborn to event try because they are not exactly the same as the extension.

You probably just caught some people on the defensive. I apologize on their behalf.

If you need any help, you can always start an "Opera - Simulate Firefox extensions" thread and I'm sure we could go down the list and see what Opera can do and what it can't.

Steel Chicken said:
My biggest problem with FF is adobe and windows media plugins, not FF itself.

Ugh, their Acrobat support sucks ass! It crashes half the time for me. It really pisses me off and I'm hoping they fix it ASAP.

Also some flash games crash the hell outta FF at work. It works ok at home, but I don't need to play flash games at home. :p

S1nF1xx said:
Ugh, their Acrobat support sucks ass! It crashes half the time for me. It really pisses me off and I'm hoping they fix it ASAP.

Also some flash games crash the hell outta FF at work. It works ok at home, but I don't need to play flash games at home. :p

Yes another one- reading PDF files freezes ALL open firefx windows until the PDF file is done loading :(

MrGuvernment said:
Yes another one- reading PDF files freezes ALL open firefx windows until the PDF file is done loading :(

Yep, and you better not click on any of them or they all go bye-bye. I'm sure by v2 it will all be hammered out though.

k, this is annoying now

if i try to copy anything out of a FF window - using ctrl+c - it doesnt copy!! i have to right click, copy, - i can use ctrl+v to paste in where ever i am pasting... :(

and i am using FileMon and DiskMon now when i run FF to see what it is that makes my HD go nuts.

hot deum FireFox does alot to make one post

from pressing "reply" button to "submit" it does alll thisss

3 parts cause is over 20k characters

screw it alot to post :)

Wow,

I just read this entire thread and after hearing the raves about Opera, I went to go download it ... only to find myself inundated with advertisements that I can only get rid of by buying Opera (40 bucks). I'm sorry, but I just uninstalled. When I can get Firefox, Mozilla, or Netscape for free or simply open Internet Explorer, why should I have to pay for a web browser? Goodbye Opera ...

MrGuvernment said:

I too have many problems reading PDFs with Firefox -- basically the PDF loads fine, but when I go to exit the PDF Firefox freezes for about 2 minutes then lets me go on my way. I will probably reinstall Acrobat reader.

mdude85 said:
When I can get Firefox, Mozilla, or Netscape for free or simply open Internet Explorer, why should I have to pay for a web browser? Goodbye Opera ...

Why should you pay for windows or mac os? You can use BSD or linux for free? Opera is worth it for a lot of people. You are paying for it as some people have spent a good deal of time working on it. Personaly I have played with firefox and I just don't think it is worth it. I haven't used opera in a few years but it was pretty good back when I used it.

swatbat said:
Why should you pay for windows or mac os? You can use BSD or linux for free? Opera is worth it for a lot of people. You are paying for it as some people have spent a good deal of time working on it. Personaly I have played with firefox and I just don't think it is worth it. I haven't used opera in a few years but it was pretty good back when I used it.

Until I can be convinced that Opera is a more powerful browser than IE or Firefox -- 40 dollars more powerful -- then I will reconsider a paid install. I don't believe Linux or BSD is as powerful as Windows or MAC OS, which is why I paid for the latter two OSs. I completely understand people wanting to charge for the work they do, but these people need to recognize that there are powerful and popular alternatives to Opera (Mozilla, Firefox, Safari for Mac OS) that are completely free. Either Opera needs to create a free full release, or needs to use the money it gets from licenses to hire a better marketing team to convince me Opera is the way to go.

mdude85 said:
Until I can be convinced that Opera is a more powerful browser than IE or Firefox -- 40 dollars more powerful -- then I will reconsider a paid install.

As I said in another thread, Opera was releasing a new version today. Grab it here . No banner ads anymore.

nope, it still shows ad's - you just have a choice of how it shows and advertises.

opera.JPG

MrGuvernment said:
nope, it still shows ad's - you just have a choice of how it shows and advertises.

opera.JPG

WTH did you download?..lol. Trust me Opera is now free from banners and registration. You only have to pay if you want premium support. I downloaded early this morning and my install never asked me that. What was the file name you downloaded?

^^ Correct, if you download Opera 8.50 Final, there's no banner or registration needed.

MrGuvernment said:
ever since 1.04 the program seems to have done nothing but gotten worse and worse and there is no sign of improvement, it is like since they are getting bigger, they are going the IE route of releasing buggy, not completle software or something......
k, here's my chance,

"Timely FUpdates, the worst thing to hit Linux (open source in general) since M$ hit the PC"

I still think its one of the best browsers out there... You can't beat extensions, but I have to agree it needs a serious revamp. It does use a fair bit of memory ans FF 1.5 crashes on me all the time. Probably to do with WMP10 or some extension though.

Back