Its late, hot, underpowered, needs 2 much power, but has new dx support!

SoniCraze

Limp Gawd
Check out the sweet heat pipes!
1178941045MH7ld2qVcW_2_5_l.jpg

:p

Was just reading older reviews to compare launch prices and was amazed how similar the Ati 2900 story is to the 480.

linky

I still don't understand what went wrong with this thing. It had fast ram, a HEUG memory bandwidth, and lots of shader cores.

except that the performance numbers are relatively swapped, with the new nvidia card scoring higher across the board rather than lower like the 2900 did.

^ sure, was just saying some things were similar. I picked up a 7800gtx at launch then didnt read anything really about new cards until I was buying a new one years later. I completely missed the 2900 generation and most of the 8800 news/hype so its been interesting reading up. Internet ftw.

edit (down arrow here)

Last edited:
It's not exactly like the 2900 series.... At least the GTX480 is as fast as the 5870. When the 2900 came out, it was no where near as fast as the 8800GTX. So that fact alone is a pretty big difference.

As has been said, GTX480 is not a R600 repeat. It actually outperforms the closest(price wise) competition. Unfortunately, power consumption and noise level had to be sacrificed in order to do that. All in all, while it's a bit disappointing(considering the wait), it's not a total failure. The GTX470, however, is a different story.

"Its late, hot, underpowered, needs 2 much power, but has new dx support!" was referring to the 2900xt not fermi. I'm very aware there are MANY differences one of many being fermi is actually faster that the competition, another being its Red and has flames....calm down boys was just havin a laugh.

"Its late, hot, underpowered, needs 2 much power, but has new dx support!" was referring to the 2900xt not fermi. I'm very aware there are MANY differences one of many being fermi is actually faster that the competition, another being its Red and has flames....calm down boys was just havin a laugh.

Sorry. There has been so much crap being slung back and forth between the two camps, it's hard to see who's joking and who's just plain ole' trolling.

SoniCraze said:
Was just reading older reviews to compare launch prices and was amazed how similar the Ati 2900 story is to the 480.

Except in this case the 480 outperforms the competition. The R600 never recovered. The 2xxx was slower than the 8xxx, the 3xxx was slower than the 9xxx, the 4xxx was slower than the 2xx and as we can see today the 5xxx is slower than the 4xx.

whooo rar rar rar whoo rar rar go team!

Why are people so caught up in brand loyalty?

Neither company truly cares what you think, just what you buy, and how to get you to spend more.

Whoever designed the heat sink with the flames for the 2900XT was a fucking genius.

It's the fact that the shroud is transparent that I love. I really wished that somebody would release a 5800 with transparent casing. There's just something about being able to see the heatsink and heatpipes that does something for me.

This thread is basically some nerds hyperventilating and breathing into a paper bag while looking at past ATI failures to make themselves feel better about this. The GTX480 is the best single GPU card but also uses 100 more watts than 58XX cards at load and loads at 93 degrees Celsius. I can still see why someone might buy a GTX480 but the GTX470 is a complete failure in every regard.

Needs moar "TURBO" and "MACH" stickers. I do believe that's why the 2900XT flopped -- not enough stickers.

Nvidia's new cards are far from perfect,

What I do like, and what Kyle only spent a sentence on, is the fact these have longer legs. I hate saying "future proof" cuz it's dumb as hell, but the architecture is NEW, and is the future whereas 5800 is not.

This thread is basically some nerds hyperventilating and breathing into a paper bag while looking at past ATI failures to make themselves feel better about this. The GTX480 is the best single GPU card but also uses 100 more watts than 58XX cards at load and loads at 93 degrees Celsius. I can still see why someone might buy a GTX480 but the GTX470 is a complete failure in every regard.

ummm maybe reread? I cant figure out where you went wrong. This thread is a lighthearted trip down memory lane when ATi release a card a little late that underperformed and was hot. O and also had sweet flames and I agree I wish more cards had transparent covers like that, i dig it.

I feel like nobody reads people comments, just the first post then fire away and move on. I'm not a fanboi of either I cuould care less about brand loyalty, cept pepsi>coke. I rock a 5870 eyefinity setup at the moment and am trying to secure funds for a 5970.

Last edited:
Keep trying to make yourself feel better by looking down past releases. All that matters is the present, and despite the 480 beating a card released 6 months prior by a mere 10-15% (6-9 fps @ 60fps) in the best case scenario, while using 100+ more watts and being 10C hotter, while at the same time costing $100 more than the competition and sounding like a jet plane is not a success.

agreed....totally a new r600 series... ati could totally push a superclocked 5870 and call it 5890...and then nvidia will have a hard time....

Its late, its hot, its loud, its pricey...
But at least the GTX480 managed to be faster than the current (single GPU) crown.

Something the 2900XT didn't do.

Im a Nvidia fanboy but not that much of one. moving to a 295 until a die shrink. Come forth 485 GTX soon!!!

Back