Its High Noon! Red Dead Redemption released

HOW DID YOU DO THAT?!

I wanted to keep that gold horse too but once I crossed to Mexico I found I HAD to get on another...

Never let it die. When I went on missions I got off before I entered the area so it wouldn't get shot. If you hunt, get off your horse and they wont touch it, they only come for you.

I just went hunting for an hour and got a deed to a top of the line horse. If it dies, you still get it back, and if you take another horse, you just goto your inventory and use the deed again.

Never let it die. When I went on missions I got off before I entered the area so it wouldn't get shot. If you hunt, get off your horse and they wont touch it, they only come for you.

Only crappy part is your horse can get lost, and than your screwed.

Little Bit of Spoilers Ahead

So I was floating down the river upon the attempt to get into mexico. Guys were throwing dynamite at me from a cliff. So I shot the crates of dynamite. Their bodies flew in the air and into the river. Awesome, just awesome. What a visual. I did it like 3 times I think. Hilarious each time.

With the horse, I find that it seems to relate to where you're sleeping. I've had the gold horse die...but if you whistle 2 minutes later it'll show right back up. However if you sleep in some times, even with a horse that hasn't ever been killed - a different horse will be waiting on you in the morning.

I have to say I'm loving this game so far. No clue how far I am, but I've had a pretty fun time just doing side quests and treasure hunting.

Okay, I'm trying to get the Treasure Hunter outfit and the only thing left to do is play Blackjack at Rathskeller Fork. The problem is that I fucking suck at it. I just don't have the luck to go over 200 chips. Anybody got any tips?

Okay, I'm trying to get the Treasure Hunter outfit and the only thing left to do is play Blackjack at Rathskeller Fork. The problem is that I fucking suck at it. I just don't have the luck to go over 200 chips. Anybody got any tips?

IIRC, you start with 200 chips when you buy-in. Just bet the minimum the first hand, if you lose, up your bet to - if you win - will put you over 200. Rinse, repeat until you win. Then quit the game. Trophy unlocked.

Easy trick - you only have to win one hand and then quit. Blackjack is a pretty mathematical game, so just go with the odds and assume that your next card is likely a 10...since there are more cards worth 10 than any other. If all else fails, save your game nearby and then just keep trying to win the first hand until you succeed...then you can quit.

IIRC, you start with 200 chips when you buy-in. Just bet the minimum the first hand, if you lose, up your bet to - if you win - will put you over 200. Rinse, repeat until you win. Then quit the game. Trophy unlocked.
You don't have to win. Just have to make a profit. Did it first try. Use double down sometimes. Especially if you are in the mid teens or something. Good chance you'll beat the dealer.

You don't have to win. Just have to make a profit. Did it first try. Use double down sometimes. Especially if you are in the mid teens or something. Good chance you'll beat the dealer.

Generally it's a good idea to double down on 9, 10, or 11, but this depends on what the dealer has. For instance, since 5/13 of the cards are valued at 10, you're supposed to assume the next card is a 10. As such, you wouldn't want to double down on a 9 vs. the dealer's 10. Also, doubling-down in the mid-teens means you're more likely to bust.

That said I'm no 21 pro, just decent enough to get by on RDR's mini-games.

HOW DID YOU DO THAT?!

I wanted to keep that gold horse too but once I crossed to Mexico I found I HAD to get on another...

The "hitching posts" work basically as a save for your horse. If you hitch another horse, it over-writes your current horse and you'll get the new one you hitched.

As long as you keep your horse alive, anytime you whistle it will come unless you hitched another horse, or it dies.

Once your horse is dead you can whistle (after a certain time) and another horse comes (random/low quality, etc).

However, if you buy a horse deed, then you get that horse type period. Even if the horse dies, you can re-use the deed and it will come to you.

I basically went through the game so far (in West Elizabeth now, near the end) with the top horses.

I kept the one Bonnie gives you throughout all of the New Austin part. Then when I got to Mexico I found the Hungarian half-bred and tamed it and hitched it so I kept it.

I used it throughout all of Mexico and then when I got to West Elizabeth I found the American Standard and tamed it and it's the one I'll be finishing the game with.

These three horses are the top tier horses in the game.

The Kentucky Saddler (one Bonnie gives you) is the most "balanced" of all three. The Hungarian is the best at Stamina/recharging it. The American Standard is the fastest of all three.

There's also an achievement if you tame all three of them, an achievement for using the same horse for 20 story missions, and an achievement for using the Hungarian half-bred to run from the Marshals.

need to bump this thread, cuz this game is BADASS. Definitely a huge sleeper hit for me this year, I wasn't looking forward to it or anything.

need to bump this thread, cuz this game is BADASS. Definitely a huge sleeper hit for me this year, I wasn't looking forward to it or anything.

No kidding. I didn't even know about this game until 3-4 days ago... Bought it on Saturday and I can't stop playing. Probably my favorite 360 game so far.

I'm only still in Armadillo but I'm playing it quite a bit still. Love the hunting bit hehe

This is from the Red Dead wiki article....

THIS GAME IS BAD. AVOID. Red Dead Redemption has been scientiffically proven to increase the size of the players wang. also, it gives the player a large, (shit) open world environment allowing the player to move a lot. Players on foot can walk, talk, kick chickens, shoot, kill, ride, run, hunt, interact with the environment, and combat enemies with firearms. Different breeds of horses are the main forms of transportation. Swimming is not an option, as the protagonist John Marston cannot swim - he never took lessons as a child and will drown and die if he ventures too far into the water.[7]

The open world environment does allow players to choose how they want to play. Storyline missions are for progress. Along with the main storyline, players can take part in random events they encounter as they explore the West. These include public hangings, ambushes, pleas for assistance, stranger encounters, drive-bys, and dangerous animal attacks. For example, if a group of people ride into town firing guns in the air, the player can kill them, and will receive a bonus of honour and fame. Players can also go in optional side activities ranging from standoffs, gambling, and hunting animals for pelts, meat and other various items.

Red Dead Redemption makes use of a morality system where players have the ability to gain positive or negative 'honor'. Some of the ways to gain positive honor include taking an outlaw alive instead of killing him, or saving a kidnapped innocent. Negative honor can be attained for committing crimes including killing or robbing civilians. This works along with another system, 'fame,' showing and governing how people react based on Marston's honor status.[8]

This game is crap, and that's not easy for me to say.
Hate me for it, but it is what it is.
Controls suck "OH GOD DO THEY EVER",
graphics are terrible,
auto aim always makes me shoot the good guy instead of the bad,
And some side quests are timed without any indication, so if you accidentally enter a side quest, you better do it first, other wise you failed it.
You cant see some cliffs edges ahead of you while riding a horse because of the crappy placement of the chase cam, so you will fall to your death without knowing what the hell just happened.
I don't know why but every time i sit down with campers and listen to their crappy stories, as soon as i get up they start shooting me, so i have to shoot them and then my honor goes down.
The Menu(s) is a disaster, and an inconvenience.

I'm halfway through, and im going to give the rest a chance, but im pretty sure my opinion wont change.

A big downer for me, i had high hopes for this title.

Good thing the story is enjoyable, that's the one thing that puts a smile on my miserable face.

graphics are terrible,
And some side quests are timed without any indication, so if you accidentally enter a side quest, you better do it first, other wise you failed it.
You cant see some cliffs edges ahead of you while riding a horse because of the crappy placement of the chase cam, so you will fall to your death without knowing what the hell just happened.
I don't know why but every time i sit down with campers and listen to their crappy stories, as soon as i get up they start shooting me, so i have to shoot them and then my honor goes down.

I'm halfway through, and im going to give the rest a chance, but im pretty sure my opinion wont change.

Good thing the story is enjoyable, that's the one thing that puts a smile on my miserable face.

lol

I can say I've never ran off a random cliff. My horse usually just stops. Wont allow me to go over when I tried. And auto aim doesn't just go to the good guy, that just means that's who you were looking at. Graphics, horrible? It looks pretty damn good on my system. There have been many times where I wished I could take a screen shot. The setting sun, or a thunderstorm rolling in. But, we all have different taste

graphics are terrible,

lol indeed. Go back to halo.

graphics are terrible,

I'll bite..

Have you gotten to Mexico yet? Shortly after you do, you get an upgrade to your dead eye ability that allows you to choose targets individually.. much easier to target who you want to. Deadeye level 2 targets whomever you move the cursor over, good guy or bad guy.

some side quests are timed without any indication, so if you accidentally enter a side quest

These are random world occurrences.. not side quests. The only true side quests are the stranger missions, bounties and challenges and they do not have timers unless specifically specified.

e.g. A guy runs up to you and says "Help! Someone stole my horse! Please bring it back to me!"

If you don't chase after the guy who stole the horse at that moment, he escapes and you "fail".

I don't know why but every time i sit down with campers and listen to their crappy stories, as soon as i get up they start shooting me, so i have to shoot them and then my honor goes down

If you want to do horrible things (intentionally or otherwise) without hurting your honor , buy a bandanna and put it on.

I've never had anyone at a camp fire start firing at me for no reason..

graphics are terrible

PS3 version? It runs at sub HD resolution.. but it doesn't look horrible, imho.. what games are you comparing it to?

Im kinda bored of the game myself, I am about 6-8 hours in or so. It all seemed so cool and exciting at first but its just a wild west GTA. I guess it is a great sandbox game but it just feels like an 'empty' world full of people, I think I would have liked the game if the horse system wasnt so bad. I was hoping for a horse you would keep your entire game or a lot more options to build a relationship with your horse rather than using it and riding it to death only to whistle and have it magically come back. Anyway, game is great if you like the type, I will sell mine sometime this week I imagine.

PS3 version? It runs at sub HD resolution.. but it doesn't look horrible, imho.. what games are you comparing it to?

PS3 for sure.
I assume they are using the same engine for gta4, so i knew what to expect graphics wise, I guess ive been spoiled by all the pretty ps3 exclusives.

There was a part where i was supposed to save this guys wife up in the hills, so i started walking to the purple indication on the map, then suddenly i get a "mission failed" message, because i was too slow..

I wont be completely biased until i finish the game, so when i do, i will let you know if i changed my mind.

There was a part where i was supposed to save this guys wife up in the hills, so i started walking to the purple indication on the map, then suddenly i get a "mission failed" message, because i was too slow..

When someone needs "saving" I would imagine they are in some sort of predicament where if the would be savior took his sweet time walking there said person would probably succumb to whatever pickle they happen to be in.

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say here.

Explain please?

Ah. That was a stranger quest.. must not have been one I finished.. what was the title? (It should be in your journal)

I think he messed up.

He was probably doing a Stranger mission (hence the purple mark on the map) and then had a random event happen (The one wehre you have to ride/follow the guy to save his wife from being hanged) and he didn't follow the guy and instead headed toward the stranger mission he was already on.

Basically sirsnits, if someone says they need help you have to follow them (if it's not where you find the mission). It isn't marked on your map.

The purple markers are for "Stranger" missions, not random events.

When someone needs "saving" I would imagine they are in some sort of predicament where if the would be savior took his sweet time walking there said person would probably succumb to whatever pickle they happen to be in.

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say here.

Explain please?

I don't remember if it was "save" or "go find"
It was one of the quests where a guy was sitting out side the law office and he asked me for help.

It happened so fast, i barely had time to get my socks on.

I think he messed up.

He was probably doing a Stranger mission (hence the purple mark on the map) and then had a random event happen (The one wehre you have to ride/follow the guy to save his wife from being hanged) and he didn't follow the guy and instead headed toward the stranger mission he was already on.

Basically sirsnits, if someone says they need help you have to follow them (if it's not where you find the mission). It isn't marked on your map.

The purple markers are for "Stranger" missions, not random events.

the guy didn't move, he just sat there.

He said his wife was picking magic mushrooms or something

its ok, the deed is done.

I don't remember if it was "save" or "go find"
It was one of the quests where a guy was sitting out side the law office and he asked me for help.

It happened so fast, i barely had time to get my socks on.

The guy outside the sheriff's office.. probably was not related to the quest you failed. He is part of a quest line called "American Appetites".. Purple locations on the map at for stranger quests and usually mean you just have to go to that spot and perform an action.. look around, investigate something when prompted..

You probably noticed a woman outside of the sheriff's office that was hysterical about her son going missing... the guy talking about his wife is talking about the same spot on the map.

The guy outside the sheriff's office.. probably was not related to the quest you failed. He is part of a quest line called "American Appetites".. Purple locations on the map at for stranger quests and usually mean you just have to go to that spot and perform an action.. look around, investigate something when prompted..

You probably noticed a woman outside of the sheriff's office that was hysterical about her son going missing... the guy talking about his wife is talking about the same spot on the map.

Thats the one.
American Appetites was the one that failed.

I did the son one already.... so iunno

Having loads of fun with this game. I'm trying to experience all the hunting and gathering I can before I progress through with the main missions. I have about 6 hours of gameplay in the game and I'm still only in Armadillo. Whenever I need a break from single player, I just go shoot some people in multi-player. :)

Hey i went back to where that mushroom mission went sour, and i was able to do it again, and i even took twice as long to finish it this time.

The game so far is pretty easy, but the way its presented is fairly messy, and those damn gta style controls just cripple allot of what could have been a good time.

Im kinda bored of the game myself, I am about 6-8 hours in or so.

I agree. It started feeling repetitive about that far in. The story has been pretty interesting so I'll probably finish up the main quests and sell it.

To each their own. I find Red Dead Redemption to be one of the best games I have ever played, then again I also loved GTAIV.

I don't understand the complaints about the control system, seems like the GTAIV whiners have carried over to this game. I think people are confusing the "clunky," controls with the realistic physics system and they are just used to playing unrealistic third person shooters like the hitman series (which I also love). And really people, what do you expect them to do with the gimped console controllers? I think that their solution has been the best solution so far given the limitations of the controllers, however, if it bothers you that much, just sell your console copy and wait for it to come out on PC because we all know it will eventually.

I am a huge fan of the old time Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns and this game has really captured the essence of that! I loved the first red dead revolver, but my current backlog of unplayed games is so hi that I bought RDR and threw it on the pile of titles that I have not even gotten to yet (BC2, AC2, GTA LATD / GTA IV BOGT and a few others are in that pile), but by chance I put this in the ol xbox "early," and man I am hooked!

I am playing it on my 120" 720p projection screen and am loving every moment of it! Yea the resolution cannot compete with my triple 1920x1200 eyefinity setup, but then again I can lounge on my lazyboy with the 360 so I am happy as a pig in slop with this at the moment.....

An amazing game, truly another masterpiece from Rockstar and it already goes in my top ten list of favorite games of all time, but then again I am a sucker for anything that lets me drag people with a lasso behind a horse ;)

I have gotten near the end (In West Elizabeth) and the only thing that annoys me is the Random events. They are repetitive and happen too much imo (About two times within 5 minutes of exploring, it's annoying). I wish you could turn them off.

Sometimes I just want to explore, go hunting, etc and not be constantly bothered by some guy running up to me to steal my horse or an ambush, etc.

Apart from t hat, I love this game. Whereas with GTA, I'd find myself getting bored of it not even half way in and I'd stop playing. Here I want to actually finish the game because just riding around and hunting, doing story missions, etc is so much fun.

I REALLY hope they do another western game, or another non-modern/non-city based open world game. I'd personally like to see a western game that's set back in the mid early 1800's, so the west isn't as "tame" as it is now and you have more Indian involvement, etc.

Maybe go back as far as the French and Indian war, a la Last of the Mohicans. Where you can perhaps play as an Indian or not and through your actions help France or Great Britian or be your own with an Indian tribe, etc.

Im having a blast with it. I try to focus on a piece of the story about once a day and try to hit up any side quests also.

Back