Its High Noon! Red Dead Redemption released

RX3

[H]ard|Gawd
The game is out! :D

How many of you showed up at the midnight releases? What do you guys think so far? Give us your thoughts and opinions here...

I am curious to find out how many people played multiplayer first.

i dont know why im still on the fence with this game. Looks great and fun but i think im still burned by GTA4. I never got into GTA4.

Cant wait to get feedback from people here! I would love a nice open world to explore on horse!

i just got back from picking up my copies of Alan Wake and Red Dead. I also got the Red Dead guide its like 398 pages of goodness. I'm stuck at work now though :(

i just got back from picking up my copies of Alan Wake and Red Dead. I also got the Red Dead guide its like 398 pages of goodness. I'm stuck at work now though :(

Nothing a little cough can't fix. Or tell the boss you're going to donate blood.

Tell him you've got lupus, it works every time. :p

I've actually been thinking about grabbing a 360 lately. This might be a good first starting title. I've never played a Rockstar title I didn't enjoy. I just wish they would release the thing for PC so I could eyefinity it up. :(

dammit, i bit. Bought it @ bestbuy and ended up snagging a 25.00 giftcard by making them pricematch the toysrus deal.

On topic though. I played a little over lunch. Games cool guys, looks good. Cant wait to check it out a little more. Feels like GTA4 meets call of juarez.

Last edited:
Grabbed the 360 version on my lunch break. I need a break from SSF4, so this should be perfect.
I do wish there was a PC version, but this one will have to do.

Picked this up at lunch....sitting in my car.

Watching the clock.:(

Played for a few minutes. Got in a horse race, and after dying three times, I decided to put the game down until I collect my emotions.

Grabbed the 360 version on my lunch break. I need a break from SSF4, so this should be perfect.
I do wish there was a PC version, but this one will have to do.

LOL! Same here man! Been playing it religiously..

Tell him you've got lupus, it works every time. :p

I've actually been thinking about grabbing a 360 lately. This might be a good first starting title. I've never played a Rockstar title I didn't enjoy. I just wish they would release the thing for PC so I could eyefinity it up. :(

I hear ya, I'm actually picking this up after work. That will be the first 360 game I've bought in 2-3 years, usually PC games all the way. I have an itch to play a damn good western though

Took a 4 hour nap after work yesterday and picked up up at midnight. Played it for about 6 hours and then came to work... so tired now.

I am thoroughly enjoying the game so far. I've done a small amount of the story arc and spent most of my time hunting animals and doing side quests. which is so fun I am completely dedicating myself to it for now.

I've been ambushed, crushed by a runaway stage coach, horse jacked, extorted, won a gun duel, and saved random women from lecherous men running them down forcefully... so far.

I must say that you have to have to have a high level of perception to discern the good from the bad in this game when things get heavy.

I was riding down the road to a long range kill I made and started hearing gunfire. I pulled my horse around and crested the hill to see two men chasing a third while firing at him while he is yelling "HELP! HELP!". In other games I would typically help the loner out, in this game you need to pay attention.

It turns out, the guy running was a wanted outlaw and I ran down and killed some deputies chasing him. He then thanked me and said I owed him. I was dumbfounded when I realized what had happened and angry at him for tricking me into helping him. So I jumped off my horse and stabbed him with my 12" skinning knife.

Now I just need to find out where to get a lasso...

P.S: The tutorial is REALLY well done. Not a classic tutorial in any sense of the word really.

Last edited:
Picked it up on my lunch break, now at work until 5pm. Just looking through the supplied world map that Rockstar always seems to give when buying a game from them. I must say the game world looks pretty damn big!

thanks for the little mini review so far Shantarr! ARGH cannot waitttttttttttttt

No problem, Blub! The game is definitaley worth the wait though, not sure if that makes the wait itself any better though... I'm stuck here until 5pm too. :(

So... who all got it for PS3? Might have to start getting a posse together for some real action!

Worst new game experience ever - buy this with alan wake, go to put RDR into my 360 and bam 3 red lights.
I had to hunt down an arcade(not so easy, 3rd store had 1 in the back) and pay another 200 just so I can finally play this damn game.

PS3 here. I got 2 more hours till I get to play. :( It's been a looooong day!

so its gta4 mp thought right? Thats what im reading and it sounds like to me. Loved gta4 sp but mp sucked for me and my friends.

so its gta4 mp thought right? Thats what im reading and it sounds like to me. Loved gta4 sp but mp sucked for me and my friends.

Seeing the SP gameplay, I can't imagine the MP being anything like GTAIV... but I have not tried it.. I will tonight.

The videos alone almost compeltely disproves that notion.

I'm a friggen cowboy!

I bought it for ps3, you should add me! My network ID is
Bluebikins

I believe I am in there as Shantarr

I'll e-mail this home so I can remember to add you. :D

How many RDR threads do we need? Really.

Picking mine up tonight PSN in sig.

The game is a lot of fun. I don't like herding tho. I lost 7 cattle over a cliff :-(

Rofl, I havn't got to the herding yet. I've saved some cattle but that's pretty much it.

I might actually do some more story tonight instead of just hunting down hundreds of coyotes.

I'm rich though! ( I think )

This is the official Release Thread :)

I will definitely add you all once I get home...I too am here at work. 12 midnight is too late for me during the week.

PSN ID in sig.

buy.com has it for 45.99 shipped, just ordered. Hope MP is as good as you guys say it is going to be.

I love the freedom you have to be a bastard in the game. Not quite up to Just Cause 2's standard but there are some things you can do in RDR that you can't in JC2. i.e
I hogtied 10 random people from the trail leading to armadillo and left them, along with their horses all on the train tracks in a line. A few horses wandered off the track but the cloud of blood and flesh that erupted when the train arrived was totally worth the trouble.

I also lassoo'd a nun and dragged her behind the horse into the path of an oncoming train. Another i lassoo'd and left her amongst a pack of wolves. Lassooing people and swinging them off cliffs or into a river while on horseback is fun too. One poor guy hit a boulder, shot into the sky and literally landed in Mexico across the river lol. Quality physics quirk :D

Love this game

Free Roam is as good as it is in GTA. There hasn't been a place I couldn't go yet.

the roaming in gta4 was allright... but the western theme is more interesting for me.

The whole open world seems to make way more sense in this setting then it ever did in GTA, coming from a big GTA fan.

Driving with friendly AI to missions in GTA was very common, yet it never felt fun or right, you have these casual conversations while you're driving ridiculously illegal hitting cars and people. In contrast with RDR we take a horse or a carriage, the convos seem way more natural and there's nothing ridiculous that takes you out of it.

Also this is the best sandbox/freeroam world I've played, there's so much to do yet none of it seems tacked on just to give us more, it all has it's place and realistically fits in the world, you can lose hours and make some decent money by just going into the woods and hunting.

The animation system is probably the best and most fluid system I've seen, AC1 and AC2 are comparable but there seems to be more depth and interacting with the environment for all characters in RDR.
*take note Bethesda(and hopefully obsidian since they're using the same animations from FO3), animations that look like they were a project for some first year animating student aren't really gonna cut it anymore.

I had some issues in free roam and inviting friends to my posse. It would either boot me to single player or make the other player invisible. Hopefully it will get patched soon.

Feels like a rethemed GTA IV so far, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I got in about 5 hours mixed SP and MP, but mostly MP.

I'm glad they've given players a lot more to do in MP free roam versus GTA's free roam. Feels slightly more structured in that you and your posse can go from location to location doing mini-missions, earning XP to unlock new skins, mounts, titles, and weapons along the way (personally having a blast with throwing knives). I felt like a chicken with his head cut-off in the structured versus modes.

Is there any difference in terms of graphics between the 360 or PS3?

Yes, I believe the PS3 version is running maybe 640p and the X360 version doing 720p? Possibly subjective reports are that performance hitches and there are more pop-ups on PS3, although I cannot confirm that. Here's a screenshot comparison however: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21355476&postcount=704

RDR1.jpg

RDR2.jpg

Last edited:
I will say it looks damn good on XBOX, waiting for my original Elite to red ring...

I put about 3 hours into it yesterday and will put another 5 or so into it today.....there is SO much to do...it's insane.. I think I'm going to buy the survivalist guide next and hunt up some buried treasure..

The most insane thing I've seen so far is some sick bastard stabbing a prostitute outside the bar in the first town...I capped him but he had already killed the chick. Looted both for some cash and moonshine though.. I was like WTF!? Took me a second to realize what I was seeing..

It really is a shame that the PS3 version looks a little gimped. It is not the PS3's fault, as we have seen excellent graphical powerhouses come from this system. Maybe an update or so can tweak certain aspects of the game.

With that said, the game still ROCKS! I absolutely love it.

Reading a few experiences posted [H]ere and what I heared from my friend before I got the game, made me understand that reaction time is key! Anything from an outlaw gettting chased by Marshals, townsfolk being attacked by wild animals, or outlaws trying to gun down innocents requires a quick reaction time and good judgement (depending if you are going the good route :D ). You cannot coimprehend how much goes on unless you play...I sure didn't at first.

On one hand you have a very LARGE open-world single player game with it's own characteristics, and on the other hand there is the Multiplayer Free-Roam with just as much, but different, content. And this is all before the varied PVP or team based standard MP modes! The content within Red Dead Redemption does more than meets expectations.

I cannot recommend this game enough. The attention to detail alone is to die for. I un-subscribed to all other games...

Well damn. I just got the PS3 version in from Gamefly and will have to see first hand if it really looks that bad. I honestly cannot imagine such a high profile port being complete shit but if its true I can only hope it is fixed.

Well damn. I just got the PS3 version in from Gamefly and will have to see first hand if it really looks that bad. I honestly cannot imagine such a high profile port being complete shit but if its true I can only hope it is fixed.

Let me know what you think. I also have the PS3 version and their images are not represent of what I see.

Back