It's happening, affordable 4k OLED TV's are finally becoming a reality

I don't get it way they are not doing a 30" and 40" Monitor without the TV crap in it which drives the input lag and price up. They could sell them at $1000-$1500 and they would make a lot more money than they are doing now with this 55" and 65" OLED TV's.

Last edited:
That's what I'm hoping for next year. If we can now get a 55 inch for $3,000 then maybe we'll have 40-48 inch at $1500-$2000 next year. But if theres another price slash and I can get the 55 inch for $2500 then I'm not even gonna wait :D

That's what I'm hoping for next year. If we can now get a 55 inch for $3,000 then maybe we'll have 40-48 inch at $1500-$2000 next year. But if theres another price slash and I can get the 55 inch for $2500 then I'm not even gonna wait :D

Already getting very close to that price ;)

I just checked with Cleveland Plasma - they're a smaller dealer but is very reputable and his price on the 55" is now $2650 and the 65" is $4250. I would imagine these are the kind of prices you'll see at the bigger stores come November / Black Friday.

I wanna hold off until CES - but at these prices it's extremely tempting to jump in now, if I didn't have the EC9300 to tide me over I would be for sure :D

So, why do you think they cut the prices by much so frequently?

My guess would be that no one was buying them at the previous price points aside from a bunch of videophiles. It's either that or the demand is so high that it's reasonable to lower the prices and expand into lower markets to capture the most audience as fast as possible.

How long do you guys think I will have to wait for a 4k OLED with Freesync? That's what I need to finally let go of my CRT's.

And I want a 1440p one with a 3d lut for accurate gamut conversion, no more than 16ms of lag and for under $1k too. :D

How long do you guys think I will have to wait for a 4k OLED with Freesync? That's what I need to finally let go of my CRT's.

This is what I'm waiting for, too. Man, the display industry fucking sucks. Why is it taking this long to get a monitor with baseline acceptable image quality? Just inexcusable.

Amazon has the LG 55EC9300 1080P Curved OLED for $1799.

Though there is a newer 1080P 55" curved one out now too. The 55EG9100. I think they're pretty much equivalent. Though maybe the newer one can do HDR video over the HDMI input. All 2014 models will only do HDR over streaming after a coming firmware update and will never do it over direct inputs. Can't tell if the 55EG9100 is HDR over HDMI capable (an AVS thread seems to indicate that it is not, same as last year's model).

Last edited:
BAZ3gLD.gif

So, why do you think they cut the prices by much so frequently?

My guess would be that no one was buying them at the previous price points aside from a bunch of videophiles. It's either that or the demand is so high that it's reasonable to lower the prices and expand into lower markets to capture the most audience as fast as possible.

http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/news/ict/12289-oled-explosion-sales-oled-tvs-grew-317-first-half

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20150906000326

LG predicts 12,000,000 OLED TV sales per year by 2020:

http://www.oled-info.com/lgd-plans-produce-over-12-million-uhd-oled-tvs-2020

This was kind of unexpected. I remember reading not that long ago about oled market stagnation. Or was it mobile oled market?

Great news anyway, I hope they will manage decent gamut emulation for the low end models.

Yes, great news. Oled destroys LCD which has been perfected over 20+ years.

For huge sales they need to hit cheap Chinese and Korean LCD prices.

I could buy a 4K LCD today, next year, and the year after and still be ahead.

You are now comparing B grade panels with A grad panels.
Korean TV's/Montiros are using rejected panels that are still okay but not good enough to be used in TV's/Montiros for Sony, Samsung, LG, Philips, ...

I want to see a 48" 4k OLED for under £2000, then we can call OLED affordable and competitive with LED prices. I wouldn't call £3000 affordable for most people and 55" is too big for a lot of people, 48" would have better PPI and big enough, I would rather have 48" with 92PPI for games. 40" = could be a bit bigger, 55" = the PPI is too low, 48" = perfect.

About the same time we see plasma monitors, for the same reason.

No, the reason why we never saw plasma monitors was a whole slew of issues:

1. Power consumption.
2. Power consumption
3. Power consumption
4. Burn-in issues
5. Not bright enough for most use cases.
6. No matte option (for business)

With WOLED, LG is taking one of the weaknesses of OLED (blue lifetime), and working around it by making every pixel white, and affixing color filters over pixels. This has potential to make for good high-end monitors, once they figure out how to properly align color filters on a 300dpi 4k 27" display :D

This is why the prices on the TVs have fallen. They've worked-out more of the issues in mass-producing lower DPI TV WOLED sets.

Last edited:

Quite a while. TVs haven't embraced adaptive sync as nothing except PC GPUs supports it. You're more likely to see a 4K OLED monitor with Freesync before a TV.

About the same time we see plasma monitors, for the same reason.

Never saw a phone display using plasma, but there are plenty using OLED. I would guess TV's are a bigger market than computer monitors, so you see OLED in televisions first, but I'm sure monitors aren't far away.

After using a 40 inch, 4K monitor, I'm pretty sure that is going to become the ideal standard for computer screens within this decade. 4K OLED screens that size exist today, don't they?

After using a 40 inch, 4K monitor, I'm pretty sure that is going to become the ideal standard for computer screens within this decade. 4K OLED screens that size exist today, don't they?

No, but that's what a lot of people (myself included) are hoping for next year.

There's already some high end oled grading monitors, check out the beginning of the thread. No technical issue keeping them from producing 1440p 27" oled panels right now.

Last edited:
You are now comparing B grade panels with A grad panels.
Korean TV's/Montiros are using rejected panels that are still okay but not good enough to be used in TV's/Montiros for Sony, Samsung, LG, Philips, ...

Where are the B-grade OLED panels? That's the thing, until its cheap, it won't be standard.

Amazing that just 2 years ago a 55 inch 1080p OLED was going for $15,000. I didn't expect 4k OLEDs to come down this low in such a short time.

From what I'm seeing now OLED is taking off much faster than any other display technology in history.

And unlike plasma in its time (from 1995 to 2005 nobody cared about consumer plasma while they were available in stores), OLED has started its democratization at the right time.
If LG have demonstrated economies of scale are possible, and if the other manufacturers don't screw up, we are witnessing the very beginning of a new technology market takeover.

Pricing will be key of course, and so will communication. Otherwise sales won't follow.
Sorry to state the obvious, but plasmas remained very expensive for over a decade and until the end common people didn't even know about the advantages of that technology.
Fortunately for OLED many people have seen the Samsung smartphones and tablet's AMOLED, so they at least have a vague idea of what it looks like.

Come on OLED; there's no competition, now's your chance!

Really hope it takes off and delves into the monitor corner of the market. I just can't envisage having a 55" TV for a monitor.

I'm afraid calibration on mid range consumer oriented oled monitors will suck balls due to the much larger gamut.

But, at least, with the oled popularization we can hope for a new gamut standard for digital content.

I'm afraid calibration on mid range consumer oriented oled monitors will suck balls due to the much larger gamut.

But, at least, with the oled popularization we can hope for a new gamut standard for digital content.

Unfortunately as I'm sure you'll agree this seems unlikely. Is the larger gamut necessarily a bad thing? I'm not that technically aware of what this means. A larger range of colours? Does this mean colour inaccuracy then?

Unfortunately as I'm sure you'll agree this seems unlikely. Is the larger gamut necessarily a bad thing? I'm not that technically aware of what this means. A larger range of colours? Does this mean colour inaccuracy then?

On a wide gamut display, srgb content will look oversaturated and color space emulation will require additional resources to implement. Monitors will need to have full fledged color management systems to allow correction of an overly wide gamut, either that or it should be done in the manufacturing process. I honestly don't see it happening with $500 monitors. A new gamut standard is actually more likely to appear in the next decade than a proper gamut emulation, considering that oled displays will become a prevalent technology.

Is there a problem with colorimeters and rec 2020? Or is it because OLED is better than SRGB but cannot cover the full REC2020? Sort of a no mans land if you will.

Back