It's happening, affordable 4k OLED TV's are finally becoming a reality

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Polar_Fox, Oct 4, 2015.

1. k983837

k983837 n00b

i found your another post about balming ec9300's input lag ( 35~47 ms from middle bar and it is posted on november ) is the input lag stably 29~35 ms on the newfirmware or not ? just wondering..

please check pm btw :) thx in advance

2. coolhandm3

coolhandm3 Limp Gawd

PM Sent :)

3. Richard Jones

Richard Jones Limp Gawd

A stable 35ms on the middle bar would be very acceptable !

BTW unless there's some kind of processing at work, variations in the delay's lenght on the same bar should only happen with genuinely different signals, or huge brightness differences (which normally don't apply here).

4. k983837

k983837 n00b

another pm sended... sorry to bother you

i just wanna make it sure , thx in advance.. :)

5. Born

Born n00b

According to this it looks like prices are going to be halved again?

If this is the case I'll be picking up an OLED TV for use as a monitor this christmas!

6. RaZoRbLaDeD

RaZoRbLaDeD Gawd

Panasonic has no plans on mass producing that TV, so I would hardly call it dethroning. Samsung already pulled OUT of the oled race and panny has not said anything ant entering officially. While I don't know the exact reasons why I don't think either company plans to invest in the technology per what I've read on sites like AVS forum and whatnot, they're in an uproar ant it. So yeah, we can't get our hopes up just yet.

7. Hurin

Hurin 2[H]4U

8. MaZa

MaZa 2[H]4U

Wasn't the reason why Samsung pulled out was because LG basically had a monopoly on the WRGB OLED, the panel that is the only one that would work for monitor/TV use due to the poor lifetime of blue OLEDs and burn-in issues normal AMOLED (which Samsung used and still use on phones/tablets) screens have.

9. sharknice

sharknice [H]ard|Gawd

Maybe the patent runs out around then.

10. RaZoRbLaDeD

RaZoRbLaDeD Gawd

Doesn't LG make the panels for Samsung? I could be wrong but I've heard it more than once. In fact, I think they supply for alot of companies (not sharp though)

I haven't really researched this but I've heard I t plenty

11. Hurin

Hurin 2[H]4U

I think you're thinking of Panasonic's recent $10k OLED that they are marketing as the premium alternative to LG's. LG provides that panel to Panasonic. And it is the same panel as their own offerings. Samsung doesn't currently have an OLED TV for which LG would be making the panel. But, as mentioned prior, that is reportedly about to change.

12. Hurin

Hurin 2[H]4U

13. Vega

Vega [H]ardness Supreme

It now look's like OLED has enough steam to eventually take over the entire display market. Praise Jebus that LCD's time left on this planet is now finite.

14. Hurin

Hurin 2[H]4U

I truly, truly hope so. If a 65" OLED for ~$2k ever arrived, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat.

15. Richard Jones

Richard Jones Limp Gawd

LCD ojisan wa, mou...shindeiru.

$8.7 billion in new OLED plant ?
    Hope they're not putting all that money into making iPhone displays.

16. l88bastard

l88bastard 2[H]4U

The company said it will spend an initial 1.84 trillion won to begin building the plant, called P10, in Paju, South Korea, to make panels across all product segments including large screens for TVs and flexible OLED panels for devices such as smartwatches and auto displays.

[​IMG]

17. Richard Jones

Richard Jones Limp Gawd

Yeah i read in diagonal, thanks.

Did you have to be an ass though ?

18. Hurin

Hurin 2[H]4U

The news was posted because any indication of health for OLED technology bodes well for the eventual appearance of a OLED monitor.

19. MistaSparkul

MistaSparkul [H]ard|Gawd

Too bad Mr. LCD is gonna die in the TV market first before it hits computer displays most likely :mad:

20. Vega

Vega [H]ardness Supreme

Yes mass market computer displays will be the last to receive OLED's. :mad:

21. geostation

geostation n00b

i'll settle for 34" 21:9 curved OLED for $1K lol. but i dont see it happening in 2016

22. bigbluefe

bigbluefe Gawd

I'd be happy if we could just get a good OLED monitor with low input lag and FreeSync.

Fucking shitty display manufacturers. Is there ANY valid excuse to have OLED monitors with high input lag? I just don't get it.

23. Hurin

Hurin 2[H]4U

24. illram

illram [H]ard|Gawd

Good for them.

The display industry is a funny thing. It seems like the true benefits of the technology are secondary to how well companies can market and sell "features..." even if the features are gimmicks or stuff used only to overcome limitations not found in another superior display technology. Maybe I'm biased because all my TV's have been plasmas, but I feel like plasma was intentionally killed off by manufacturers because they couldn't tack on a zillion stupid "features" to plasma sets (because they didn't need them) which they could then charge a premium for.

Hopefully this doesn't happen to OLED...if someone makes a low input lag OLED TV in the future, I think I have my plasma TV replacement!

25. Night_Hawk-19

Night_Hawk-19 Gawd

Well till they get over 60 hertz its pointless for gaming.

26. zone74

zone74 Gawd

The white subpixel seems to be used in place of green, rather than blue, so I don't think that's the reason behind the WRGB pixel structure.
    They are using white OLED materials with color filters on top (like an LCD) to improve the lifetime of the panel though, as this lets them use materials which have higher longevity than blue OLED materials that have accurate color reproduction by themselves.

27. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

Not REALLY. I know we all like to tout the 144FPS Master race superiority, but lets face it: singleplayer or slow-paced multiplayer games are perfectly enjoyable at 60FPS. In some instances, I would take the higher contrast and more vivid colours over the higher refresh.

28. kabobi

kabobi Limp Gawd

29. Odellus

Odellus [H]ard|Gawd

if you can go back to 60 Hz after using 120+ and not constantly be thinking "my god this is choppy and blurry" you're a stronger man than i am. it doesn't matter how good static image quality is if motion looks like shit imo.

30. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

I know your pain! I used 144Hz monitors for gaming and just the motion of the mouse on the desktop feels sooooo nice. But You do get used to the 60Hz choppiness after a few days. after that it feels fine. I still would prefer a 144+ for high-speed gaming, but 60Hz at least meets the bare requirements for me.

31. Martha Stewart

Martha Stewart Gawd

Santa came through

[​IMG]

Crossing fingers for a good panel

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  32. Vega

Vega [H]ardness Supreme

33. Martha Stewart

Martha Stewart Gawd

finally got our 65" EF9500 up

[​IMG]

Proper uncompressed 4k looks incredible on this thing, But coming from a Panasonic ZT plasma I will say the OLED isn't as good. While the blacks and contrast are better on OLED, the video processing and motion smoothness are far superior on the Plasma. Anyone with a 2013 Panny plasma should hold off on OLED until the tech improves. Gaming how ever feels fine, don't notice any input lag (though not sensitive to it)

34. Lateralus

Lateralus More [H]uman than Human

Damn, that looks awesome. Thanks for the info and comparison, though. Sounds like I should hold off another generation or two.

35. aeliusg

aeliusg Gawd

Nice work. You're right though, while it's often overlooked, the motion blur problem still hasn't been solved on OLEDs yet. They look and feel better in motion than LCDs because of their much faster response time, but they are still full-persistence sample-and-hold displays.

36. shadowj

shadowj Limp Gawd

what's the input lag?
    thanks

37. custom90gt

custom90gt Gawd

The picture looks great, sad to hear about the smoothness issue on the panel though. I wonder if that's hardware related or what.

38. Quartz-1

Quartz-1 [H]ardness Supreme

I have a VT plasma, so that's good to know.