It's been just about ten years since this beauty....

I had the 9500 Pro lasted me about 2 years and then I upgraded to a 1800XL with a new system build

You're not old until you've used a 3DFX Voodoo1 card.

BTW, I can't believe I've been on [H] now for over 11 years.

Oh god how time flies !!

S3 Verge . Over 11 too.

The old 97000 is sitting in the garage somewhere. I can't remember if I put a 60mm CPU heatsink on that or my original Radeon 32mb.

I remember building my pc using this video card, and my Abit ic7-max3 ($$$) motherboard and my P4 @ some GHZ. I was benchmarking my ass off back in the day in 3dmark....trying to compete with DigitalJesus and some other names on the 3mark forums back in the day.

I still have this video card. Matter of fact I was trying to sell it on [H] a long time ago but it didn't get any bites...I think I was selling it for cheap :X

I used this card until Doom 3 and Prey came out.
Prey's transportation boxes made the card artifact however.

BTW, I can't believe I've been on [H] now for over 11 years.

Oh god how time flies !!

Of course i had one of those,and voodoo2, voodoo3, voodoo4, voodoo5. Ever have a intel 740? Rendition Verite? Matrox G200? hehe so many more too Im a videocard whore. S3 Savage, Rage Fury Maxx lol...

Last edited:
I wanted one of these SOOOO bad. At the time, I only had a Radeon 7000 32mb AGP. It wouldn't be until very late '05 when I could finally afford an upgrade: GeForce 6600GT

This card represents the advent of my PC building and gaming future. I bought the AIW version from CompUSA at the time since they were the only retailer in town that had one. Morrowind was so choice with that fpsopt app that let you turn on tessellation. Even if it did destroy frame-rates.

I wanted one so bad but I couldn't afford it. I rode out my Geforce 4 Ti-4200 until I finally bought a Geforce 7800GS which I believe was the fastest AGP videocard ever.

I had the All-In-Wonder version of the 9700. Ran the thing for almost 4 years. The good old days when OCZ RAM still worked and IBM still made hard drives that didn't.

I still have a working Radeon 9800XT in a pc somewhere. One of my all time favs alongside the Guillemot 3D Prophet.:)

Oh man...you know how old you just made me feel. The 9700 pro was my first top of the line card I ever owned. Before that I always had to settle for the "mainstream" card since I was a poor college kid. 9700 is still my favorite card of all time. That thing was an absolute beast in its day.

You guys remember the 9500pro -> 9700pro flash? That's what I had initially, then sold it for a profit and bought an actual 9700. Memories...*tear*

Werd. I was a sophomore in college when this card first came out. I had an Athlon XP 1800+ that I overclocked to 2.5 paired with the 9700pro and 2 gigs of ram. I was sittin' pretty for a very long time! Memories...

Damn, I recall being insanely jealous of my friend who had one of these. I had to settle for a 8500LE which was less than stellar.

What would you guys consider the next 9700 Pro? The 8800 GTX?

I still have my Sapphire 9800 Pro and it's still fully functional. I remember upgrading to a BFG Geforce 6800gs to replace the 9800 Pro.

I bought a Sapphire 9800 Non Pro in early 2003 to replace a GF4-Ti4200 and it rocked... really wanted the 9700 Pro but it was more expensive than I could afford at the time.

My 9800 NP remains the card which I have used daily the longest, almost five years. It provided a solid gaming experience from 2003 to about 2008 when I finally built a new system with a X1950 which was cheap because the R600 had just come out.

That 9800 NP still works in the original Athlon XP computer with an ABIT NF7-S I built around it even to this very day.

I too had a sapphire 9800NP that i overclocked to pro levels, it was a tank of a card. Ran verything at the time just awesome.

Athlon XP/FX + ATi 9700/9800 was tha shit back then :p Later the 6600GT in SLI came out :eek:

My rich neighbor had one of those. He upgraded to Voodoo2 SLI and I used to come over all the time to play Quake II on his ISDN connection. "You get 100 ping?!?!" Sigh. The days when all you had to worry about was MMX, 3dfx, and RAM...

But damn OP, thanks for the flashbacks! This video card was the s**t back in the day. Honestly never thought about buying an ATI card before this one released. And that was before I learned about the Pro reflash...

Upgraded from a 3dfx[RIP] Voodoo3 3000 AGP to a normal Powercolor 9700 and softmodded to Pro. Thanks ATI for saving a high school kid $100+!

XP1700+(DLT3C) went underwater so I took the stock cpu cooler and ghetto rigged it to the GPU. It was worth all 3 PCI slots I lost :)

On Newegg, my very first purchase shows up as the All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro for $419. Was a great card, although me and a friend both got one and both had problems with the fan failing only a few months after purchase. I ended up getting an aftermarket Arctic Cooling monstrosity. :D

That was back in the days where cards were literally doubling performance and VRAM from the previous gen. I miss those days. :(

My craze started with the Voodoo2 but i still remember the time i upgraded from the ti4600 to the 9700Pro; BF1942 was an addict with that card.... then I upgraded to the 9800XT

I opted for the 9700's little brother, the 9500 Pro. Quite possibly the best bang-for-the-buck card, at release, ever. The 5870/5850 was the second coming of the 9700/9500. Then there was the 6600 and 8800 series from NV, those were great too.

I remember shelling out the bucks around that time for a 9600.
I was still in high school, couldn't afford the 9800!

I think I had it paired with my AMD Athlon XP 3200+

This brings back memories of my High School days, AMD T-Bird FTW!! I love you Socket A!!

9600xt ftw came with free hl2 and cs source

Haha, this. I remember getting the 9600xt first for Halo PC, then shortly thereafter upgrading to a 9800 Pro. I still have an unused HL2 voucher from one of those cards.

What do we have here collecting dust? :D

DSC_7906.jpg

My 9700 Pro and the 6800GT that eventually replaced it.

I still remember that system: Athlon XP 1700+ @ 2.2ghz, 2 gigs DDR RAM, ATI 9700 Pro, Antec Lanboy Case. The 9700 Pro and case are the only things I still have of that system.

IMG_0717.jpg

Last edited:
I had a 4600Ti, what an uninformed purchase that was. I still infact own a 9800 Pro, flashed to 9800XTPE with Artic Cooler Silencer 5

I had a 4600Ti, what an uninformed purchase that was. I still infact own a 9800 Pro, flashed to 9800XTPE with Artic Cooler Silencer 5

The Geforce 4 was a great card, it just got severely overshadowed from the 9700 pro. It was performance wise a really good card, it just didn't offer the memory bandwidth to allow high aa/af at high res like the 9700 pro.

I remember doing my first build and in 30 days I went 440mx(?) -> 8500 -> 9700PRO. I think I had that card for at least 3 or 4 years before I gave it to a friend who used it for a year or so.

I remember doing my first build and in 30 days I went 440mx(?) -> 8500 -> 9700PRO. I think I had that card for at least 3 or 4 years before I gave it to a friend who used it for a year or so.

I bought a MX-440 too. Such a garbage card, I fell for Nvidia's marketing back then. :mad:

Some of my most valued cards were my first GPU, a RIVA 128 (Viper 330). That was the card that made me ditch consoles for good. Another was my 9700pro that replaced a Geforce 2 GTS as the fps boost was incredible. However I still hold my 4670 up as the best bang for the buck ever. Bought it for around $35 new over two years ago and it allowed more than ample performance for 1280 gaming,

My current unlocked 6950 is a contender given its value in the face of current GPU pricing. We'll see how the performance holds up over the next year before I pass final judgement.

I had a sapphire 9800 PRO R360 with an HIS aftermarket cooler on it. Those were the good ow days!

I feel old after seeing this. Rocked the Voodoo 2 for a moment, the Rive 128 TNT, Voodoo 3 3000... I still rock a 8600GTS for the dual DVI connection. Maybe I will upgrade soon... doubt it though. Thanks for the flash back.

I got a FireGL X1 128 around that time for $200, which literally was the exact same thing as a 9700 Pro except it had dual DVI. I used modified catalyst drivers so it literally did function as a 9700 Pro. I used that card for 2 years, then sold it on eBay for $300 - a $100 profit.

Back