It's been just about ten years since this beauty....

ShuttleLuv

Supreme [H]ardness
Was released. The Ati Radeon 9700 Pro, one of my few favorite cards of all time. Can you believe it's almost been just about 10 years since it came out???:cool::cool::cool:

r9700pro-card-front.jpg

What it brought to the table as per wikipedia:

Architecture

The chip adopted an architecture consisting of 8 pixel pipelines, each with 1 texture mapping unit (an 8x1 design). While this differed from the older chips using 2 (or 3 for the original Radeon) texture units per pipeline, this did not mean R300 could not perform multi-texturing as efficiently as older chips. Its texture units could perform a new loopback operation which allowed them to sample up to 16 textures per geometry pass. The textures can be any combination of one, two, or three dimensions with bilinear, trilinear, or anisotropic filtering. This was part of the new DirectX 9 specification, along with more flexible floating-point-based Shader Model 2.0+ pixel shaders and vertex shaders. Equipped with 4 vertex shader units, R300 possessed over twice the geometry processing capability of the preceding Radeon 8500 and the GeForce4 Ti 4600, in addition to the greater feature-set offered compared to DirectX 8 shaders.

ATI demonstrated part of what was capable with pixel shader PS2.0 with their Rendering with Natural Light demo. The demo was a real-time implementation of noted 3D graphics researcher Paul Debevec's paper on the topic of high dynamic range rendering.[1] A noteworthy limitation is that all R300-generation chips were designed for a maximum floating point precision of 96-bit, or FP24, instead of DirectX 9's maximum of 128-bit FP32. DirectX 9.0 specified FP24 as a minimum level for conforming to the specification for full precision. This trade-off in precision offered the best combination of transistor usage and image quality for the manufacturing process at the time. It did cause a usually visibly-imperceptible loss of quality when doing heavy blending. ATI's Radeon chips did not go above FP24 until R520.
ATI's Rendering with Natural Light promo demo

The R300 was the first board to truly take advantage of a 256-bit memory bus. Matrox had released their Parhelia 512 several months earlier, but this board did not show great gains with its 256-bit bus. ATI, however, had not only doubled their bus to 256-bit, but also integrated an advanced crossbar memory controller, somewhat similar to NVIDIA's memory technology. Utilizing four individual load-balanced 64-bit memory controllers, ATI's memory implementation was quite capable of achieving high bandwidth efficiency by maintaining adequate granularity of memory transactions and thus working around memory latency limitations. "R300" was also given the latest refinement of ATI's innovative HyperZ memory bandwidth and fillrate saving technology, HyperZ III. The demands of the 8x1 architecture required more bandwidth than the 128-bit bus designs of the previous generation due to having double the texture and pixel fillrate.

Radeon 9700 introduced ATI's multi-sample gamma-corrected anti-aliasing scheme. The chip offered sparse-sampling in modes including 2×, 4×, and 6×. Multi-sampling offered vastly superior performance over the supersampling method on older Radeons, and superior image quality compared to NVIDIA's offerings at the time. Anti-aliasing was, for the first time, a fully usable option even in the newest and most demanding titles of the day. The R300 also offered advanced anisotropic filtering which incurred a much smaller performance hit than the anisotropic solution of the GeForce4 and other competitors' cards, while offering significantly improved quality over Radeon 8500's anisotropic filtering implementation which was highly angle dependent.

On March 14, 2008, AMD released the 3D Register Reference for R3xx.[2]
Performance

Radeon 9700's advanced architecture was very efficient and, of course, more powerful compared to its older peers of 2002. Under normal conditions it beats the GeForce4 Ti 4600, the previous top-end card, by 15–20%. However, when anti-aliasing (AA) and/or anisotropic filtering (AF) were enabled it would beat the Ti 4600 by anywhere from 40–100%. At the time, this was quite astonishing, and resulted in the widespread acceptance of AA and AF as critical, truly usable features.[3]

Besides advanced architecture, reviewers also took note of ATI's change in strategy. The 9700 would be the second of ATI's chips (after the 8500) to be shipped to third-party manufacturers instead of ATI producing all of its graphics cards, though ATI would still produce cards off of its highest-end chips. This freed up engineering resources that were channeled towards driver improvements, and the 9700 performed phenomenally well at launch because of this. id Software technical director John Carmack had the Radeon 9700 run the E3 Doom 3 demonstration.[4]

The performance and quality increases offered by the R300 GPU is considered to be one of the greatest in the history of 3D graphics, alongside the achievements GeForce 256 and Voodoo Graphics. Furthermore, NVIDIA's response in the form of the GeForce FX 5800 was both late to market and somewhat unimpressive, especially when pixel shading was used. R300 would become one of the GPUs with the longest useful lifetime in history, allowing playable performance in new games at least 3 years after its launch.[5]

Last edited:
The 9700 Pro is truly a legendary card. It was a monster, the biggest upgrade ever. Made ATI a contender.

I didn't have one of these because the price was a lot higher than the Ti4200 I ended up buying instead. That being said, I did pony up for the 9800 Pro and it was the first time I spent more than $200 on a card.

Oh man...you know how old you just made me feel. The 9700 pro was my first top of the line card I ever owned. Before that I always had to settle for the "mainstream" card since I was a poor college kid. 9700 is still my favorite card of all time. That thing was an absolute beast in its day.

You guys remember the 9500pro -> 9700pro flash? That's what I had initially, then sold it for a profit and bought an actual 9700. Memories...*tear*

Oh man...you know how old you just made me feel. The 9700 pro was my first top of the line card I ever owned. Before that I always had to settle for the "mainstream" card since I was a poor college kid. 9700 is still my favorite card of all time. That thing was an absolute beast in its day.

You guys remember the 9500pro -> 9700pro flash? That's what I had initially, then sold it for a profit and bought an actual 9700. Memories...*tear*

Of course heh. :)

Mine as well. Those were the days!

I had a friend who gave this card to me for cheap because it was artifacting. Put a arctic cooler heatsink and it worked fine! I was so stoked

I didn't have one of these because the price was a lot higher than the Ti4200 I ended up buying instead. That being said, I did pony up for the 9800 Pro and it was the first time I spent more than $200 on a card.

I had a TI 4400 @ 4600 (also had 4200's to play around with) but sold the 4400 to get a 9700 pro. Wow what a difference. First time you could play a game smoothly at 60 fps or more with 4x and 8x aa/af enabled.

I had a TI 4400 @ 4600 (also had 4200's to play around with) but sold the 4400 to get a 9700 pro. Wow what a difference. First time you could play a game smoothly at 60 fps or more with 4x and 8x aa/af enabled.

The 4200 was only like $125 though. I was thinking there is NO WAY I'll ever spend more than that on a video card. 10 years later, I give away $125 video cards to my family :p.

The 4200 was only like $125 though. I was thinking there is NO WAY I'll ever spend more than that on a video card. 10 years later, I give away $125 video cards to my family :p.

LOL true. I also fondly remember my Gainward Geforce 3 Ti 200 Golden Sample, thing overclocked like crazy and did more than a oc'ed Ti 500!

I'm actually more surprised that DX9 was around in 2002 and we still have new games using it today. Jesus.

My first pc built was with the 4200ti. Very shortly later I bought the best card I could buy, the 9800pro. And I played cod on pc every day and listened to some people whine about how CS was way better lol.

The 9800pro I paid $350 for at Bestbuy.

I heard people raving about the 9700pro but I guess i came late to the party and got the 9800pro.

My first pc built was with the 4200ti. Very shortly later I bought the best card I could buy, the 9800pro. And I played cod on pc every day and listened to some people whine about how CS was way better lol.

The 9800pro I paid $350 for at Bestbuy.

I heard people raving about the 9700pro but I guess i came late to the party and got the 9800pro.

9800 pro was a slight upgrade of 9700 pro.

Nice write up. Sounds pretty cool my first card was 6800GT like two years after 9700. But I remember ppl still running them.

Had gotten a 9500 that didn t successfuly unlock to 9700 , then got a 9800 pro for gaming and later on a 9800 aiw and they were great cards.

As great as they were, the technology as lept bounds ahead of pixel pipelines.

Khan!!!!

Great card, it took nVidia a couple of years to recover after the less than stellar FX 5000 series.

My brother spent a small fortune on one of these and it lasted a few years then died. With the death of this card he stopped building gaming rigs and switched over to console gaming.

He is convinced video gaming cards are over priced and consoles are way ahead in technology and value for gaming.

My brother spent a small fortune on one of these and it lasted a few years then died. With the death of this card he stopped building gaming rigs and switched over to console gaming.

He is convinced video gaming cards are over priced and consoles are way ahead in technology and value for gaming.

Must run in the family. :p

I was in high school at the time, building my first computer, and I WISHED I could afford a 9700. I settled on an outdated 8500 from a computer swap meet. Do they even have those anymore? :eek:

I bought this card when i was mainly playing some TacOps and used it all the way up to WoW, where i finally upgraded to a 9800gtx+ after some time....
My biggest single gpu purchase ever and one I never did regret. Ran CSS like a champ too!

It's pretty epic to go back and read the old [H] review. They've come a long way. I also never personally owned this card until I was gifted one many years later. I had a 4200Ti at the time :(

Now I'm off to find an old PCXL mag :p Wish there was a way to find back issue scans of that mag.

Last edited:
You're not old until you've used a 3DFX Voodoo1 card.

BTW, I can't believe I've been on [H] now for over 11 years.

Oh god how time flies !!

I had a 9700 Pro but it was unstable on my mobo. By then the 9800 Pro was out and I got one those.

LOL true. I also fondly remember my Gainward Geforce 3 Ti 200 Golden Sample, thing overclocked like crazy and did more than a oc'ed Ti 500!

Awesome card. Accidentally let the smoke out of mine, but it was a great excuse to buy a 9700 pro haha...

I have a 9800 Pro (refresh) sitting in a cupboard at home, first GPU I modded with custom cooling. The power supply that was running it initially blew out and scorched the molex to shit, but it still kept going :p

Twas a mighty card indeed.

Hey guys, remember when video cards weighed less than a dumbbell? And you couldn't cook a steak on them?

i loved my 9700 pro.. but i have to say the one card i absolutely enjoyed the most was my 9800SE softmodded to a 9800pro. and to think after all these years softmodding is still possible with AMD/ATI card's. :D

Last edited:
That was my dream card back then...

But I couldn't afford it so I had to settle for a 9600Pro :p

That was my dream card back then...

But I couldn't afford it so I had to settle for a 9600Pro :p

How much was it? Also how much was 9500 you could supposedly make into 9700? That's the card I would have got.

Good luck playing starcraft on console. I figure that game costs me about 13 cents an hour with computer price added in..:p

And technology no way dude. Consoles are at best a mid-high range card at time of release which is 6 years ago now.

How much was it? Also how much was 9500 you could supposedly make into 9700? That's the card I would have got.

I don't live in US so I can't really give any comparable price... even IF I remembered at all :eek:

But I do remember that back then I was still a newbie and stuff like unlocking a GPU was something I haven't heard of back then.

Back