It's a weird time for power supplies

Most manufacturers use China for part or all of their PSU production and it triggered the 10% tariffs for imports to the US. Seasonic was up front about having to jack up their prices to cover the additional costs. It was supposed to move up to 25% late last year, but that's being pushed back. I can't seem to find anything on whether the new trade deal drops them (and would businesses with a strong demand market drop prices or just keep them where they are for extra profit?).

With the Corona virus completely shutting down parts of China and possible similar issues in other countries, we are probably on the verge of a supply failure for many parts.
If you need something tech thats made in China, snap it up quick!
Prices will no doubt skyrocket soon and wont improve until long after production is up and running again.

Last edited:
Ugh, so true. Good thing I'm stocked up on Chinese-manufactured tech. The rest is from Taiwan, which remains safe for now...

taiwan's got it too...

Oh, no doubt, no doubt, we've even got it in my state. SHUT DOWN THE BOEING PLANT! What's that? Already? Carry on.

But so far only China seems to have it at maximum fun-level, so don't panic just yet, but if anyone is thinking about a new system this year, order those PSUs while they're still in stock, y'all! Safest component to buy without a concrete build plan next to HSFs.

What do we think of Silverstone PSU's these days?
[from the PoV of their higher tiers of products - gold/plat/titanium]

I have always used them:
750w strider silver from 2010 - rattly fan for the last six years, but still works fine.
750w strider gold from 2014 - going strong in current PC
650w strider silver from 2014 - died, now replaced with:
500w SFXL gold from 2018 - running fine
650w strider gold from 2017 in folks PC - running fine

coming around to a new PC, and wondering which way to go:
a) I want Silverstone, because I appreciate the compatibility of the modular cables.
b) And I use FT02 cases - which are limited to 160mm PSU length.

Looking in the range of a 750w platinum or an 800w titanium from SST, but:
1. They haven't made anything new in years.
2. They have a short warranty compared to Seasonic/EVGA-P2/BeQuiet11P.
3. No one is terribly impressed by their ripple suppression vis-a-vis competition.
4. Despite the above they still cost the same or more as the competition above.

What are your thoughts?

Here in the UK I go for Seasonic or Super Flower both Platinum. My naberhood shop sells both.

Back