Itch to upgrade but in a quandary

The 5800x3d will still be faster a lot of time than say a 3900x or a 10900k, not really slow (would need some *, like for the price or something)

I'm not your "bro" and it's literally a couple seconds at best or milliseconds difference in performance you are talking about.
Depends what you do, the similarly priced 5900x in a Unreal project code compile could take minutes less, baking the lighting half the time, lot of workload are counted in tens of minutes-hours:
pic_disp.jpg
pic_disp.jpg

Hard to imagine someone looking for a 5800x3d is not mostly into game and how relevant it is too.

I'm not your "bro" and it's literally a couple seconds at best or milliseconds difference in performance you are talking about.
Cool story bro :D

Anyways, I was just sharing my perspective.. you guys seem to have it all figured out.. carry on.

Call it what you will, but outside of playing games it is a slow cpu for everything else. For instance, there is a big difference between 4450 of the X3D and 5150 of the 5900X.
Good job comparing an apple to an orange... A 5900X has more cores and threads than a 5800X3D. If you are comparing price then comes down to what the OP wants to do most with the PC, gaming or mix of gaming plus other stuff. The 5800X3D is no slouch for performance whether gaming or otherwise.

I personally pass on your opinion. You can buy what you want, but you are no expert on PC hardware being dead or otherwise. Just another Intel fanboy wearing their brand on their sleeve... Fanboys can be ignored, they don't use facts, just their opinion.
Imagine telling someone their opinion is worthless and not based on facts by providing their own worthless opinion not based on facts 😂

Imagine telling someone their opinion is worthless and not based on facts by providing their own worthless opinion not based on facts 😂
At least we have established something, opinions are not facts. freeagentt was making opinionated statements as though they were factual. Thanks for proving my point. We can all make statements about PC hardware, most times it is our opinion. AM4 is no longer going to get newer CPUs, but still a viable platform for budget minded folks. 5000 series CPUs are still quite capable. Not everyone can afford bleeding edge PC hardware. Because of AM4, I have been able to keep upgrading while retaining the same motherboard, eliminating one expense for 3 generations of CPUs. It is nice to get new PC hardware, and sometimes, whether Intel or AMD, hardware has bugs and issues. In the OP's case, he has a decent AM4 where either a 5900 or 5800X3D would be a cheap upgrade if he wants to make that his main rig as it is more powerful than a 9700K system. This way he can avoid the early adopter bugs with AM5 and the higher costs of upgrading the platform right now since 5000 series AMD CPUs are still plenty capable. I am in a similar situation with an x470, but my plan is to upgrade the CPU, maybe a 5900X, as prices keep dropping. All of this is opinion, and hopefully helpful to the OP for what to do. We all make choices in life, sometimes we regret them, sometimes not, but we never know what choices we will ultimately regret. Maybe the OP looks back and wishes he had sprung for an AM5 platform upgrade, or, maybe the Ryzen 8000 series gets released and knocks it out of the park and he is glad that he didn't spring for an AM5 platform upgrade. If OP has the money and wants the latest, he can then decide between an new Intel or AMD platform. AMD seems to be keeping sockets around longer so there is a better upgrade path for incremental upgrades with CPUs, or Intel which has not supported sockets for very long, forced upgrades if you will that bring new features and functionality.

Now, for a fact: because AMD developed the Ryzen CPU, Intel has been given some much needed competition, and that has led to innovations such as Intel developing Alder Lake architecture, AMD developing significantly larger level 3 cache systems (CPU and GPU), especially with a dual CCD where, when they get the OS to be properly optimized and aware, can pick between a cache heavy CCD or a higher frequency boosting CCD. All of this has benefitted the consumer, though prices lately are steep for the latest and greatest.

At least we have established something, opinions are not facts. freeagentt was making opinionated statements as though they were factual. Thanks for proving my point. We can all make statements about PC hardware, most times it is our opinion. AM4 is no longer going to get newer CPUs, but still a viable platform for budget minded folks. 5000 series CPUs are still quite capable. Not everyone can afford bleeding edge PC hardware. Because of AM4, I have been able to keep upgrading while retaining the same motherboard, eliminating one expense for 3 generations of CPUs. It is nice to get new PC hardware, and sometimes, whether Intel or AMD, hardware has bugs and issues. In the OP's case, he has a decent AM4 where either a 5900 or 5800X3D would be a cheap upgrade if he wants to make that his main rig as it is more powerful than a 9700K system. This way he can avoid the early adopter bugs with AM5 and the higher costs of upgrading the platform right now since 5000 series AMD CPUs are still plenty capable. I am in a similar situation with an x470, but my plan is to upgrade the CPU, maybe a 5900X, as prices keep dropping. All of this is opinion, and hopefully helpful to the OP for what to do. We all make choices in life, sometimes we regret them, sometimes not, but we never know what choices we will ultimately regret. Maybe the OP looks back and wishes he had sprung for an AM5 platform upgrade, or, maybe the Ryzen 8000 series gets released and knocks it out of the park and he is glad that he didn't spring for an AM5 platform upgrade. If OP has the money and wants the latest, he can then decide between an new Intel or AMD platform. AMD seems to be keeping sockets around longer so there is a better upgrade path for incremental upgrades with CPUs, or Intel which has not supported sockets for very long, forced upgrades if you will that bring new features and functionality.

Now, for a fact: because AMD developed the Ryzen CPU, Intel has been given some much needed competition, and that has led to innovations such as Intel developing Alder Lake architecture, AMD developing significantly larger level 3 cache systems (CPU and GPU), especially with a dual CCD where, when they get the OS to be properly optimized and aware, can pick between a cache heavy CCD or a higher frequency boosting CCD. All of this has benefitted the consumer, though prices lately are steep for the latest and greatest.
TL;DR

I love my AM4 build with my 5950x - and I push my rigs HARD! Sure, 7950x is out.. but I can bet 99% of users in a blind test would not see the actual performance gains, so ya AM4 is def still a good platform as Agent_N pointed out, and if you can find some deals on the CPU's, while new some are still pricey (a new 5950x is still $670 CAD here) it is a great option for many.

First of congrats to OP for getting such system.
Second : why do some call the 5800x3d to be a dead end system (I'm not into gaming ).

I'm about to upgrade my Ryzen 1600 into a 3900x (will be an addition to my humble homelab and I'm really excited ).

I don't want to cause any war I'm solely curious.

edit Seems like the 3900x is a bit ancient.

Last edited:
First of congrats to OP for getting such system.
Second : why do some call the 5800x3d to be a dead end system (I'm not into gaming ).

I'm about to upgrade my Ryzen 1600 into a 3900x (will be an addition to my humble homelab and I'm really excited ).

I don't want to cause any war I'm solely curious.

edit Seems like the 3900x is a bit ancient.
Because it’s in the AM4 platform which is EOL. There’s not going to be any newer CPUs you can drop into the system. For people who already have an AM4 board with a weak CPU it’s a great and very cost effective upgrade but if you’re going to need to buy a new board, cpu and memory, it makes more sense to get into a platform that still has upgrade paths.

In your case, if you have a supporting chipset, I would recommend going with a 5900X instead of a 3900x. AMD made significant improvements with the 5k series.

At least always a future path of a 5950x if someone go from a 2700x to a 5800x3d and end up needing core, that said it seem to me the really cheap 5950x option once AM5 get popular do not really materialize, still cost a lot more than a 7900x on pcpart picker, even if it is worst at everything, all the money saved by keeping-going AM4 instead making it logical to many to still buy it instead of a 7900x (at $16 a thread is currently quite the deal versus the others), so I would not count on it, that the highest dead platform option will one day be a good buy versus the latest lower tier upgrade, outside some special use case.

im waiting for the next gen cpus to come out to upgrade, my 5900x with 32gb 3080 is plenty for now

Game at 60hz? Oof. No wonder you think intel is a good idea this generation. News flash, they lost bigly.
I have 2 AMD systems in use right now.. I do have an Intel board, but no DDR5 or CPU yet.

I have 5600X, 5900X, and 5800X3D. 60 is fine at 3840x2160.

Back