Itch to upgrade but in a quandary

DooLocsta

[H]ard|Gawd
Current system is an Intel 9700K, Gigabyte Z390, 16GB Ram, 3090, Misc. M2's, SSD's.

I changed jobs and they didn't want the computer back, it is a 3700X, MSI X570, 32GB Ram, with old video that was used to just drive monitors.

I am looking at the 7800X3d which is a full platform update since I would want to go with DDR5 but I would keep the 3090 for now. Is it stupid to make this move or maybe just get a 5800X3d and move the 3090 to the other computer?

Thoughts?

I would do 5800x3d.

I had 9900k and upgraded to 7700x about to do 7800x3d. I didn't see a huge bump going to 7700x maybe 10-15 frames on ultrawide 1440p. I expect another 10-15 or so with the the 3d chip. So basically went from 100fps with 9900k to about maybe130fps with x3d with the games I play.

A 9700k is usually around what in game 90% of a 5600x, 80% of an 5800x3d ?

Would be tempting to go to the 7800x3d keeping only the 3090 and sell both full computer to go through an update trouble to be worth it

Last edited:
A 9700k is usually around what in game 9% of a 5600x, 80% of an 5800x3d ?

Would be tempting to go to the 7800x3d keeping only the 3090 and sell both full computer to go through an update trouble to be worth it
This is tempting, I have enough other systems to run Plex/Media stuff on already. I haven't even turned on the 3700X machine in months.

First step would play the game to look at the market price in your facebook marketplace for similar system (if you do not mind going through the trouble of selling them) and looking for the price of what you have in mind.

Maybe it cost more than buying a 5800x3d and selling the 3700x and the 9700k system (which could be negative dollars cost), but you can cheat yourself at justifying a full upgrade.

If the 9900k to 7700x did not feel huge like in the example above (I imagine being quite the same tier upgrade than a 9700k to 5800x3d)

Since I have both the 5800x3d and 7800x3d, I'd recommend the 5800x3d. The 7800x3d does help say if you had a 4090 as it's internal latency does improve frametime consistency, but not at the price it would command as a platform upgrade for you.

Is this an issue when you buy a cpu and not an motherboard-ram, etc... ? what are the negative consequence, futur resale value ?

5800x3d is a dead end system, better off just going 7800x3d.
Yeah it's a dead platform but if he can just drop a proc into that X570 board it's probably worth the cost. Already has 32GB ram, etc. 5800X3D is the cheap option. Upgrade proc, move 3090. Anything better is new board, new ram, etc. Just being able to drop in a proc and *boom* performance boost is the whole point of not buying dead platforms, right?

I'd say your good options are either just drop in a 5800X3D and move some of your existing parts around (cheap & easy option) or do a full build except for maybe the 3090 and perhaps a few other bits and sell everything else.

I would pass on AMD personally.

I have a nice B660 ITX board waiting for some DDR5 and a thirteensevenkay :)

58X3D is ok only for games, outside of that it is slow. AM4 is dead, AM5 is a mess.

AM4 is not dead give me a break, you just add video cards as the years click past.
"Dead Platform" often just means there will be no more CPU upgrades for that platform. In that respect AM4 is dead. It's still quite usable of course, and dropping a 5800X3D chip into an AM4 rig you already have could easily be the best bang for buck upgrade you can do. For a lot of gamers even older CPUs are just fine. Ryzen 3xxx, Intel 9xxx 7 10xxx, etc. 10th gen Intel is working just fine for my gaming so far.

58X3D is ok only for games, outside of that it is slow. AM4 is dead, AM5 is a mess
Lol?

5800x3d is only "okay" for games? I'd hardly call it "slow" for other things.

If I had a working am4 board with ddr4 ram ready to go, dropping in a 5800x3d is a no brainer. Better choice than buying a whole am5 or Intel build.

Going AM5 could make sense if you have access to a microcenter for the $550 7900x combo.

Call it what you will, but outside of playing games it is a slow cpu for everything else. For instance, there is a big difference between 4450 of the X3D and 5150 of the 5900X.

Is it stupid to make this move or maybe just get a 5800X3d and move the 3090 to the other computer?

Thoughts?
It's only stupid to upgrade if your performance target is already being met. With the 3090, are you 4K/60? 1440/120? If your 9700k is giving you those targets or near it, I would wait a few months untill a labor day/black friday and pick up a 5800x3d on the cheap. Maybe even here on the [H]forum. It's $325 brand new, which is sizable, especially if you are happy with the performance you have now

Agreed.

Mid 25 man raid, maxed graphics (RT off), 1440@144, with a 3070, I had 250+ fps in World of Wacraft.

Path of Exile, same setup, 150+ fps.

It does run a bit warm, so a half way decent cooler is needed. I did that Peerless Assassin jobber and I top out at 70º.

It's only stupid to upgrade if your performance target is already being met. With the 3090, are you 4K/60? 1440/120? If your 9700k is giving you those targets or near it, I would wait a few months untill a labor day/black friday and pick up a 5800x3d on the cheap. Maybe even here on the [H]forum. It's $325 brand new, which is sizable, especially if you are happy with the performance you have now
Running the 42 C2 and this machine is my WFH setup as well. I am looking for productivity and game improvement. I missed a sale here on the 5800x3d by 1 minute right after the 7800x3d came out :|

Not sure how much productivity improvement the 5800x3d will bring over your 9700k, if it will be really noticeable. It's 17% better than the 10700k, which is 8c/16t. Yours is just 8c/8t. Very debatable if this 'improvement' is worth $325+

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-5800x3d/11.html -- Productivity review page

relative-performance-cpu.png

If you are sticking with the 3090 and can get a 5800X3D for ~$300, then I’d save a bunch of money and drop that into the X570 system and call it a day. In the majority of gaming situations you shouldn’t be bottlenecking the 3090 (assuming 1440p or higher). I’d wait for AM5 to mature a bit more before doing a complete system upgrade to it.

Call it what you will, but outside of playing games it is a slow cpu for everything else. For instance, there is a big difference between 4450 of the X3D and 5150 of the 5900X.
Yeah, it's somewhat slower than a normal 5800X at non gaming. I still wouldn't say "omg it's a slow cpu" for any modern task. Just not as well suited. MHZ is not the end all be all that some think, and honestly performance doesn't scale nearly as well with MHZ as some would hope.

If it was for productivity only the 5800x3d would make no sense. For a mixed workload and an upgrade from what you currently have, it may very well be worth the cash. While the productivity numbers won't go up a lot they will go up compared to what you're using and even if max or average fps numbers don't go up much or at all it's highly likely the lows will go up quite a bit and the smoothness that typically brings would be worth an upgrade.

I would pass on AMD personally.

I have a nice B660 ITX board waiting for some DDR5 and a thirteensevenkay :)

58X3D is ok only for games, outside of that it is slow. AM4 is dead, AM5 is a mess.
Not an accurate statement, my Intel 12700K 3080 rig vs. my sons AMD rig run neck to neck no apparent difference unless you "measurabrate" with benchmarks.

MHZ is not the end all be all that some think, and honestly performance doesn't scale nearly as well with MHZ as some would hope.
But it does. Reviewers seem to test at box stock settings. You can get awesome performance from a 5900X. And if you do more than just play games, well then an X3D is going to be a bit sucky for that too.

Not an accurate statement, my Intel 12700K 3080 rig vs. my sons AMD rig run neck to neck no apparent difference unless you "measurabrate" with benchmarks.
Maybe so, but in the end it comes down to your tune. If you cant tune, you aren't going to be getting the best that you can..

I do have an X3D too guys.. I flip flop back and forth all the time.

But it does. Reviewers seem to test at box stock settings. You can get awesome performance from a 5900X. And if you do more than just play games, well then an X3D is going to be a bit sucky for that too.
Why are you comparing a 5900X to a 5800X3d anyways? Ofc the 12 core is going to be better at productivity. Compared to a normal 5800X, that graph above shows it at what? Like 2-3% faster overall (in favor of the 5800x)?

Why are you comparing a 5900X to a 5800X3d anyways? Ofc the 12 core is going to be better at productivity. Compared to a normal 5800X, that graph above shows it at what? Like 2-3% faster overall (in favor of the 5800x)?
Good question :D

I just don’t see why everyone is so in love with the 58X3D. But I game at 60Hz so.. :D

Unless the 5800x is also "slow" nowadays
If its at stock settings it is.

I said this last September on another forum "The 58X3D is great if you "just" game. Outside of that it is a step backwards, and a waste of money if you do anything outside of playing games."

Anyways.. I know you guys like the CPU, I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. This is just my opinion, and it obviously does not align with many others :D

I like the CPU too, but its not gods gift to AM4 or anything.

I have one too..
Do you find it so unbearably slow compared to a normal Zen3 chip? You have to understand, you literally called it "slow". I tried to find some numbers of a 5800x3d vs a PBO 5800X and so far, the 5800X isn't really a whole lot faster. We know PBO doesn't really add much to Zen3. They don't have much OC room at all.

Do you find it so unbearably slow compared to a normal Zen3 chip?
Its not terrible, but it is noticeable. I don't have a 5800X, but my 5900X boosts to 5150 on multiple cores.. its a noticeable difference from 4450 for sure.

But like I said, for games its pretty good.

but my 5900X boosts to 5150 on multiple cores
Well sure, but a 5900X boosts higher than a 5800X anyways. Might as well just call your 5900X slow and bring up the 5950X, but that would be silly because unless you're using the extra cores the mhz difference isn't going to make or break it. Same with your 5900X vs the 5800x/5800x3d.

If you just play video games bro..

There is more to computers than just games, surprisingly :D
I'm not your "bro" and it's literally a couple seconds at best or milliseconds difference in performance you are talking about.

Back