Italian Eyewear Maker Luxottica Working on New Version of Google Glass

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If the only reason you didn’t care much for Google Glass was because of the signature nerdy look, you might still be a candidate for the next generation of Google Glass. According to the WSJ, Google has teamed with Luxottica, maker of the very popular Ray-Ban and Oakley brand sunglasses, to improve the look and image of Glass and the results will be on the market in the near future.

He said that “version two” of Glass is “in preparation,” but he didn’t stop there. Vian also hinted at the next, next wave of Google’s smart eyeglasses, telling shareholders, “In Google, there are some second thoughts on how to interpret version three [of the eyewear].”

Maybe this time it will do more then just make you look like a glasshole.

The pic reminds me of the birth control glasses from the Marines. Thick, dark plastic frames.. :eek:

if they make it look like its NOT some sort of fakey sci-fi garbage, then they succeeded.

Oh good extend their monopoly further should be great for all of you.

They tried this once before and it didn't work out well. Surprised they're giving it another go.

They tried this once before and it didn't work out well. Surprised they're giving it another go.

Something like google glass will come one day and be big. Its the only way to make mobile devices really efficient, having a hud up and available all the time. A HUGE complaint people made was the look so google attacking that through the company that as a monopoly on all eye ware and the one pretty much responsible for making glasses so cool that some people actually wear them without lenses is probably the smartest move on that front.

Something like google glass will come one day and be big. Its the only way to make mobile devices really efficient, having a hud up and available all the time. A HUGE complaint people made was the look so google attacking that through the company that as a monopoly on all eye ware and the one pretty much responsible for making glasses so cool that some people actually wear them without lenses is probably the smartest move on that front.

Looks so cool eh? Did you look at the picture in TFA? I know the hipster and their 50s era aerospace engineer style black plastic frames have been both a fashion choice for those who need glasses, and an affectation for those who don't, but I'm pretty sure that trend is winding down.

The look wasn't the primary issue. It was the annoying/creep factor, and short of hiding them entirely so they are hard to detect, frame design won't affect that much.

I feel sorry for whoever buys anything luxottica. I had two pair of ray ban sun glasses that ended up chipping and what looks like delamination at the edges.

Looks so cool eh? Did you look at the picture in TFA? I know the hipster and their 50s era aerospace engineer style black plastic frames have been both a fashion choice for those who need glasses, and an affectation for those who don't, but I'm pretty sure that trend is winding down.

The look wasn't the primary issue. It was the annoying/creep factor, and short of hiding them entirely so they are hard to detect, frame design won't affect that much.

I don't wear glasses and I don't really get it but I can be open minded enough to know a lot of people like that look and try to emulate it you see millions of them out there. Also that image is not the final product its just an image for the article which appears to be someone wearing regular google glass on top of a frame.

Are the looks going to solve the problem of relentlessly shoving a camera in another person's face, other than concealing the intrusion better?

Are the looks going to solve the problem of relentlessly shoving a camera in another person's face, other than concealing the intrusion better?

If it solves one problem it will leave less to complain about. Most level headed people know that shoving a camera in someone's face is a daily occurrence every time you pick up a phone so deal with it.

Back