It was fun, IDE. But now you've gotta go..

They don't cost a fortune...they are roughly the same price.

Met-AL said:
What's up with those girly SATA cables? :D

I would be using all SATA as well if only the drives didn't cost a fortune compared to identical PATA drives.

Your looking in the wrong places.

SATA drives are usually the same, or LESS then the IDE versions.

MrGuvernment said:

For hard drives, you're right.
For optical drives, you're not.

IanG said:
For hard drives, you're right.
For optical drives, you're not.
Have you checked Newegg lately? How about any of the other common stores? I've been looking for quite some time for one, and to be honest, other than the WAAAAY overpriced Plextor models, all of the others are right in the same price range as the IDE equivalents.

MrGuvernment said:

Sorry bud, we were talking about optical drives. They are still overpriced like they are something special.

Met-AL said:
Sorry bud, we were talking about optical drives. They are still overpriced like they are something special.
You're shopping at the wrong stores then. The LightOn brand, for example, is only a few bucks more, if that, than their PATA equivalents.

djnes said:
Have you checked Newegg lately? How about any of the other common stores? I've been looking for quite some time for one, and to be honest, other than the WAAAAY overpriced Plextor models, all of the others are right in the same price range as the IDE equivalents.

Quick check at the Egg: List of 5

Looks like there is one there that is only $32 but it doesn't look like it does dual layer. Check out the price of that Blu-Ray burner $599...can't wait till we see those down to $50 in a few years!

Anyways, not much of a selection.

djnes said:
Those were the ones I was talking about. I was about to buy, until I saw that it doesn't have Lightscribe capabilities.

eh, Lightscribe never really interested me, so I didn't notice it. I just use a Sharpie.

ryan_975 said:
eh, Lightscribe never really interested me, so I didn't notice it. I just use a Sharpie.
I got a free drive when I worked for HP, so now I'm hooked. I don't use it for everyday CDs...just the good ones I keep in binders.

Has anyone had a compatibility problem with a SATA DVD-burner? Reviews on newegg can be a bit sketchy; on the plextor drive for instance some people had issues using motherboards that were on Plextor's compatibility list, while others had no problems on motherboards not on the list. :confused:

With the prices on those Lite-On drives being as low as they are it wouldn't hurt too much to upgrade, especially since my current burner is a POS.

Met-AL said:

Sorry, my apologies then, my bad!!!! :)

Yes, opitcal drives are a scam and the plextor drives, are they even real SATA now? or are they still just putting an IDE to SATA adapter in the case and selling it like that?

It's too bad I bought my Sony burner last year and probably will not ever buy another DVD burner again, otherwise I might just buy that $32 SATA Lite On one. My next thing that burns will either be a Blu-Ray or HDDVD Burner, in a few years when the price drops to what us "normal" people can afford.

I just replaced my collection of 5 IDE HDDs in my P180 with a 150GB Raptor and a 750GB Seagate for storage.

Holy shit. Performance...up! Wiring...way the fuck down. Got rid of 3 IDE cables and the mess of Molex Y-Adapters, not to mention emptying the entire bottom drive cage. I moved those two drives down to the lower one, and removed the top, and my airflow is 10x better now.

Long live SATA! Though, the IDE drives live on, in PS2s and XBox. :)

yeah,

The SH-S183L offers transfer rates of 150MB/s, 300MB/s and 600MB/s,

bullshit it does..lol no way in hell it can read data off that fast, nice job marketing team, wonder how many suckers will fall for this "man my dvd drive can spit out 150MB of data!!!! faster then my harddrive!

Wait a month or two, we should have DVD DL burners on SATA for sub $50. Once the OEMs start using them, they will be as cheap, if not cheaper than IDE.

I only WISH I'd paid <$50 for mine. I have 3 of the Plextor 716SA'a. All have been problem free, and they work great on several mobo's. The issues come when people try to load a machine with them not on the native SATA ports. Then, there's no way to load the drivers. I tried that once. That said, I bought mine when they first came out, and I've gotten my money's worth from them. I'm looking forward to the <50 so I can finish some new projects.

Back