It was fun, IDE. But now you've gotta go..

Dillusion

Supreme [H]ardness
Just got my Lite-On SATA CD-RW drive the other day, finally relieving my PC of IDE forever.

PA260008.jpg

Anyone else make the move yet?

I dont mind IDE at all for optical drives. Having one or two IDE cables is really easy to hide. In fact I find that IDE cables are cleaner than SATA because they are so easy to fold out of the way. Just stay away from the rounded IDE and you will be fine.

Erasmus354 said:
I dont mind IDE at all for optical drives. Having one or two IDE cables is really easy to hide. In fact I find that IDE cables are cleaner than SATA because they are so easy to fold out of the way. Just stay away from the rounded IDE and you will be fine.
ide cable origami ftw. Can't beat it. SATA might be 'smaller' but can be a real pain to make turn corners nicely.

Now if someone created a ribbon-type sata cable, that's be cool.

actually, the new Conroe boards with only 1 IDE port are one of the reasons I am not going to be getting a Conroe.

The only SATA optical drives I can find are made by Lite-On or Plextor. Are these even good brands?

evelmunkey said:
The only SATA optical drives I can find are made by Lite-On or Plextor. Are these even good brands?

Yes, very good brands.

They're both good, major brands. Most of my drives are Lite-On's (not really by choice, they're just common, good drives that are pretty cheap)

I'm using 3 of the Plextors myself. Work fine. I hate ribbon cables. Expensive, but decent stuff. I also have an NEC 3520, and the Plextors can outperform it, but the NEC has moddable firmware- if that matters.

ryan_975 said:
too bad it's not a DVD burner. gues I'll be sticking to IDE for a while longer.
Didn't catch that :( Really too bad, Plextor just cost way too much in my books.

My first and last IDE HDD drive was a WD 120GB drive. All the next 3 were SATA because I HATE the IDE connectors, they are a PITA to remove. Too bad Im stuck with an IDE DVD burner, oh well.

Not sure about the Lite-On, but the current Plextor is actually PATA with a bridge chip to allow for the SATA connection. I have the Plexotor 716SA and have had no issues, but it is known that that drive has issues with certain SATA controller cards and some motherboards. Sony has a SATA DVD-RW that is native SATA coming out. I have 3 engineering samples at work and they are rock solid. I'm fairly certain that it is manufactured by Lite-on, but can't confirm.

I wish sata versions were a lot less expensive, otherwise I would have ditched IDE already.

evelmunkey said:
Thats funny, I have been scared to purchase because I have never heard of them. Which would be better?
For many years, Plextor drives were THE ones to get (but pricey) and then Lite-On came along and became the new hotness because of the price/performance ratio. Both brands aren't quite as popular anymore since other makers have caught up but they are still good choices.

I don't like Lite On too much. Don't trust their reliability and a tad noisy.

I have a Samsung DVD burner and am waiting til the end of the year to pick a sata DVD burner. hopefully another Sammy.

General Crespin said:
I want a SATA slot-loading drive. :p
QFMFT... I managed to break my slot-load dvd-rom drive, and I've been regretting it since :(

unhappy_mage said:
QFMFT... I managed to break my slot-load dvd-rom drive, and I've been regretting it since :(

I was lucky, mine broke but it was under warranty from Monarch and they replaced it, so far the replacement has been flawless. :) Lately I've been working on doing cable management and a SATA DVD drive would be just the thing, but I'm not going back to tray-load if I can help it. :p

Im loving my DVD+/-RW (sata) dual layer and black as well.
NEC makes it, but it came in a Dell E521 (AMD) system, there are no IDE ports on those mobos, all Sata connections

I'm in search of the elusive Lightscribe SATA burners. I'm not too thrilled with the reviews on the few existing ones.

I have a samsung lightscribe drive and use one of those IDE to SATA converters. I believe it 's a Rosewill made product. It fits very flush with the drive, not sticking out too far.
I've had no problems with compatability, used it with three drives and two motherboards with no problems.
The only annoyance is the little converter needs a floppy power cable. It wasn't a big deal, I ran a splitter off the molex running to the DVD drive itself and an adapter to convert it to a floppy power connector. Tucked it off to the side and you can't even see it.

Found it on newegg, seems the price has gone up slightly but not too bad still:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812206002

Look like people having compatability issues are using this device with hard drives. I've had no problems using it with optical drives.

I've been running the Plextor 716SA since it came out and I've been loving not having to deal with IDE. I can't stand those cables.

I am glad to see other companies are starting to fall in line and begin introducing SATA optical drives.

if your gonna take pics, learn to use your cam

turn up your ISO in darker situations or mount it on something = crisp clear pics.

I ditched my HD IDE but I couldn't justify paying the extra couple hundred for a SATA DVD-+RW. I just bought a rounded IDE cable, hopefully no one will tell. :p

What's up with those girly SATA cables? :D

I would be using all SATA as well if only the drives didn't cost a fortune compared to identical PATA drives.

Back