It Takes Over 4,500 Hours of Gameplay, or $2,100, to Unlock All Content in Battlefront 2

This actually doesn't even bother me... It just means that not everyone will be playing the special characters and guns. Seems like it is a good thing for game balance to me.

I'm still buying the game but I probably will never unlock most of the extra characters and weapons. I certainly won't pay to gamble with the loot crates.

I think the main consideration should be whether you are happy with the base game for $60 or not. Getting rewarded for playing, with unlocks is ok with me. It gives you a reason to keep playing the game. Also been maps are included in that base game price without the bullshit season pass crap. That makes me happy.

Watch out, that URL has cryptomining. My cpu usage spiked to 100% as soon as I opened that URL.

Can confirm. Symantec on the work computer catches it and page doesn't load

Attachments

• miner.JPG
    miner.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
It isn't nonsense. The Star Cards that you unlock and upgrade have an actual benefit to multiplayer. those with the high end upgraded cards will have a distinct advantage over those that do not. We don't want 4500 hours of unlocks for free. We want NO unlocks. The Star Cards are a bullshit cash-grab game mechanic. Gate-keeping the heroes is bullshit also. You can't just start the game as Vader, you have to save up points during that round to spawn as him. I mean there is a Boba Fett Star card that gives his main gun fucking aim assist.

So, "gimme all the unlocks before I've played a single minute of the game, and I want to start as Vader". That it?

And then since every kid will want to "start as Vader" let's have an entire team of Vaders running around, with nothing to work toward and unlock, so they can bitch it's a boring game with no longevity and nothing really keeping them engaged.

The SP portion of the game is 4 hours?
Seriously?
Wooooooooow, not just pass, hard pass— even in the discount bin.

Disney is obviously holding back some DLC until after the release of The Last Jedi (for story reasons), but even so; it's a pitiful amount of SP content.

So, "gimme all the unlocks before I've played a single minute of the game, and I want to start as Vader". That it? And then when every kid wants that?
Let's have an entire team of Vaders running around and there is nothing to unlock to reward gameplay so they can bitch it's a boring game with no longevity.

No.

And unlocking Vader in a Star Wars game is retarded, to say the least.

Star Wars: Battlefront 2 in-game rewards may feel stingy, but wait until you hear about the time it takes to unlock everything. According to one player’s estimates, it will take you around 4,528 hours of gameplay, or $2,100, to unlock all content in Star Wars: Battlefront 2. The player in question posted a detailed breakdown of how he arrived at these calculations.

The 600 credits received from a hero crate is worth 27% the cost of a hero crate. This is equivalent to 30 crystals. To account for this, I reduced the cost of a hero crate from 110 crystals to 80 crystals. 12,000 crystals can be bought for $100. Opening the required 3,111 loot crates requires 248,880 crystals. If you only purchase $100 crystal packs, this will cost $2,100.

Do the same thing and compute unlocking all content in World of Tanks, I bet the numbers are double or more and the game is over 6 years old.

So, "gimme all the unlocks before I've played a single minute of the game, and I want to start as Vader". That it?

And then since every kid will want to "start as Vader" let's have an entire team of Vaders running around with nothing to work toward and unlock, so they can bitch it's a boring game with no longevity and nothing really keeping them engaged.

I don't have a problem with adding some long-term character development to shooters like this, I just don't like the fact that you can pay to unlock any of it.

I understand why they do it. Whales are where the money is at, but it's sad that everything devolves into whatever maximizes revenue.

Their master plan apparently has some holes in it. Put 600 hours into BF4 and never bought a single upgrade.

Anyone that called the Battlepacks in BF3 or BF4 "pay to win" or complained that you had to spend money on then was really just saying "I've never played those games and have no clue". Vehicles for example you could fully unlock within a few rounds.

I actually liked the progressive unlocks because it felt like a reward each time you hit a new one. The starting equipment was usually some of the most powerful anyway, and often what you'd end up coming back to and main'ing after you'd tried the rest.

This will affect sales they may get 1-4 million copies sold, that may be good to us, but not good to them. Remember tomb raiders 3.5ish million sales being a flop. EA wants 10-13 million + copies sold for everything they make. I don't think they will reach that without hardcore fans money too.

The game is free.

I'm going to expand on this, because I think WOT has one of the best freemium models out there.

1. The base game is free.
2. Almost all content can be unlocked just by playing.
3. You do not get unlocks at random (at least last I played) you know what your unlocking. No fucking loot boxes with random garbage I likely don't want and won't use.

Exactly, sensationalist nonsense. $60 nets you a complete game with great single player and engaging multiplayer which is exactly what everyone begged for after the 1st game. You get your money's worth EASILY. This game is incredibly polished and well designed. If players demand 4500 hrs of unlocks for free then guess whats gonna happen, there will simply be fewer unlocks.
Yes, and this is also the line in the sand. EA will NEVER push this formula even farther to the point where it ruins future games. Nothing to worry about!

I'm not sure how this should be a surprise to anyone. Online games have created massive new longevity rewards for a long time now. If you were to add up how much it would cost to unlock every item in dota, lol, paragon, or any other competetive online game it would have more zeros than I make a year.

Jimquisition did a story on this.

The biggest point was how triple a publishers want to turn players in to payers.

Fuck them all.

This will affect sales they may get 1-4 million copies sold, that may be good to us, but not good to them. Remember tomb raiders 3.5ish million sales being a flop. EA wants 10-13 million + copies sold for everything they make. I don't think they will reach that without hardcore fans money too.

Got any stats for that, or are you assuming this outcry means something louder than a small minority being outraged? Also Tomb Raider is made by a different company, although I do think EA's goal is somewhere near your number.

Playing full time at 45 hours per week (same as the average worker's work week in the US) it would take 100 weeks to finish, which is just short of 2 years.

I am surprised you can actually say this with a straight face. How much are you making off of EA stock? Every EA game is now coming out with this BS card system and PTW. They are "improvements" to your characters and weapons, so it very definitely affects the competitiveness of the game. It is completely embodying the PTW system.
Because I have no problems crushing servers from scratch and earning unlocks as they come naturally. In fact I rather enjoy the anticipation of some unlock i've been looking forward to. However I dont feel handicapped while im grinding to get it, I just play differently.

Do I think the game is perfectly balanced between players with varrying toolkits? No. However the advantage veterans have over skilled yet new players is minimal. The game wouldnt even be playable if it were truly PTW.

Wooooooooow, not just pass, hard pass— even in the discount bin.

+1 now we know where all the time taken from Andromeda was spent

Playing full time at 45 hours per week (same as the average worker's work week in the US) it would take 100 weeks to finish, which is just short of 2 years.

better have a GTX 1080 or better before the game is released because it's hard for me to imagine having to upgrade a GPU before I've finished the game LOL

... What happened to everyone being on an equal playing field and skill being the deciding factor? ...

I still play games like this; they're all quite old now.

I wish Doom had been this way; the progression system is stupid, and people cheat to get around the progression system, so I don't play MP, only Arcade mode and SP.

Console players needed 'auto aim' to hit things, and it devolved from there. If you ever noticed, you could kill anything in Duke Nukem 3d with a pistol, just by vaguely pointing that way and shooting repeatedly.
It only worked for the pistol, but it showed when someone felt completely outclassed, lol.

My days of 100%ing any game are over, this I suppose would be one reason why... There is a point where it becomes why bother at all though.

I hate grinding games; I want to go thru it, face challenging enemies, and fighting some arbitrary difficulty system just detracts from the game in my eyes.
I've been trying to 100% Doom on ultra nightmare; not doing so well, lol.
Doom is fun, but the multiplayer stinks, with all the cheaters and lame progression system.
I usually play Q2 Ground zero with the railgun; it's slow to recharge, but devastating.

The cutscenes alone are almost 2 hours of content. ...

Why the Fuck do I want to see a cutscene?

A loading screen is fine, but 5 minutes of motion capture video is a complete waste of time and money.

The freaking mocap cutscenes are what makes the games so damned expensive these days anyway; it would be cheaper to pay the actors to act out the scenes, and cut out the mocap-translation aspect that's so expensive.

"But then it's not a Videogame..." Well, Is it right now? Or is is a bunch of glued together drivel, patched together with cutscenes?

I played games to have fun, not to be "Maximally Monetized".

He is a question... are EA running the multiplayer servers? if so then well... servers are not FREE

It's almost like videogame development is a business.

Because the only option for a responsible business is to always maximize short-term profits at any cost?

Believe it or not, econ 101 isn't actually the revelation you appear to be believe it is. I'm glad you enjoyed it, though.

That's pretty bad. When I played Planetside 2, I recorded every moment from character creation to level 100 (the max at the time). And this was for my second max level character, so I knew what I was doing by then. I didn't buy any XP boosts and was in Free 2 Play mode to not shorten the journey. Took me just over 1000 hours when I totaled the time in all the video clips.

So this is 4.5 times worse than going from BR1 to BR100 in Planetside 2. Although, that said, I was nowhere near close to unlocking everything in Planetside 2 after 1000 hours. So this might not be _that_ bad. Just a Sony Online Entertainment level grind instead of the typical console game type grind.

(And yes I'm aware Daybreak bought SoE.)

Back