It seems Lenovo installs malware on their PCs (in purpose)

So how about the actual infection rate? There's fearmongering based on incomplete facts, and then there's reality.

Alcatel-Lucent studied infections in the second half of 2014, and found that iOS and Macs equated to less than one percent of malware infections worldwide. The remaining 99 percent? Split nearly equally between Android and Windows. Yes, some of those infections will probably come from places like China, where shady third-party Android app stores are more likely to operate, but this still shows that there's a big difference between theoretical danger and actual risks. OS-level app and security policies can do a lot to ward off threats.

https://resources.alcatel-lucent.com/asset/184652 (PDF link)

Any report that pitches a product is marketing fluff. National Vulnerability Database, VirusTotal, etc. are not. If you can't tell the difference then you've brainwashed by companies like Apple that's responsible for bringing to public the private pictures of movie stars' orifices. Not that anyone is complaining except those affected of course. One of incidents that we don't mind happening again.

Any report that pitches a product is marketing fluff. National Vulnerability Database, VirusTotal, etc. are not. If you can't tell the difference then you've brainwashed by companies like Apple that's responsible for bringing to public the private pictures of movie stars' orifices. Not that anyone is complaining except those affected of course. One of incidents that we don't mind happening again.

Nice dodge. What's the actual infection rate? I'm waiting.

more reason to wipe your computers and install a decent os. I dont remember if I had this spyware on mine but its wiped and running linux so it doesnt matter anyway

twas what i did with my thinkpad t450s (minus the linux install). i used microsoft's win8 media creation tool to create a bootable usb drive.
as bad of thing for lenovo to do with that spyware/adware BS thing, i still love the thinkpads. i'm really loving my new thinkpad t450s. this is the best laptop that i have ever bought or used.

Thinkpad T450S is sweet. If I were to get a laptop with all built-in ports including NIC without dongle that would be first on my list. Did you get 900p or 1080p display and how is it? Too bad it doesn't have a discrete GPU or even APU option which would make it a perfect 3.5# package.

Great link and the chart that tells the story is:

OS-chart.jpg

Apple is simply a Security mess.

Apple fans don't have to contend with the same amount of Malware/Spyware and viruses that Windows users do. The concept is called "security through obscurity" and that's what MAC / Apple users depend on whether they know it or not. The user base is small (MAC OSX) so it isn't targeted as aggressively. That has nothing to do with actual security and everything to do with perceived security. People perceive it to be more secure because they think they have to deal with less malware/viruses etc. I see it like this; People not walking through doors doesn't negate the existence of those doors.

The security holes are still there whether or not they are actively exploited.

Thinkpad T450S is sweet. If I were to get a laptop with all built-in ports including NIC without dongle that would be first on my list. Did you get 900p or 1080p display and how is it? Too bad it doesn't have a discrete GPU or even APU option which would make it a perfect 3.5# package.

i got the 1080 display (w/o the touch option) and the screens great (great viewing angles).
as for the discreet gpu: meh, i don't plan on gaming on it. I'll listen to some music, movie/video watching (netflix, amazon and local content), work (i'll use it for when i'm on-call and out of the house. employer doesn't provide a laptop) and school (plan on going back to school).
APU? I don't think that I have ever seen an APU in any laptop except in the gaming focused ones (sager or alienware). nevertheless, the audio on this thing doesn't sound too horrible. the speakers are tinny but with my klipsch R6, the audio is pretty good.
Is this a perfect laptop? I don't know, but it's perfect for ME. :)

update: i didn't install it, but i made a bootable kubuntu 14.10 usb 3.0 drive. it runs VERY well on this machine. i'd love to install it, but unforunatley i need windows for work.

Last edited:
Apple fans don't have to contend with the same amount of Malware/Spyware and viruses that Windows users do. The concept is called "security through obscurity" and that's what MAC / Apple users depend on whether they know it or not. The user base is small (MAC OSX) so it isn't targeted as aggressively. That has nothing to do with actual security and everything to do with perceived security. People perceive it to be more secure because they think they have to deal with less malware/viruses etc. I see it like this; People not walking through doors doesn't negate the existence of those doors.

The security holes are still there whether or not they are actively exploited.

Security through obscurity is part of it, but not everything. After all, there's been over 700 million iPhones sold so far, and the infection rate is a tiny fraction of what Android deals with.

A lot of it is simply the nature of app policies and sign-ins. An iOS device won't let you install non-App Store titles unless you jailbreak; Macs won't install non-App Store titles unless you check a box. OS X made a habit of requiring administrator passwords well before Microsoft got into the swing of it outside of the enterprise world. Those doors may exist, but there are security guards standing in front of a lot of them.

Laissez-faire attitudes toward software allow for more freedom, but they also open you up to attack. Because Microsoft allows Windows OEMs to preload a lot of software, vendors can introduce security holes that wouldn't exist otherwise. And while Windows' security is pretty solid these days, its policy is still to allow app installations from any source with little more than a warning message.

Back