It’s Time, Nintendo: Kill Wii U and Think Big

Nintendo's going nowhere until they figure out this whole new "social gaming" trend, they got lotsa catching up to do vs Sony and Microsoft, but they're still stuck in the 90s. Maybe this will be their wake up call finally, Miis wont cut it anymore.

ehh - social gaming? Do you mean the ability to have a friends list and easily invite them into a multiplayer game? And on rare occasions, get some kind of group player lobby going in a fighting game where you can watch each other duke it out and make fun of each other?

Then yes.

Everything else associated with social gaming - meh. Don't want, don't care, never understood the fuss.

I'm not a huge gamer for either console or PC, but I think lot of people may agree that the newer generation of consoles is going the wrong direction. They're basically just computers now and suffer the same issues as PCs. Needing internet (you can't bring your console at the cottage or something) and programmers that are lazy and figure "meh we'll patch that later". Every single time I turn on my Wii U there is about 10-20 minutes worth of updates. It's ridiculous, when you consider the NES and SNES had no updates, and all the games work fine. If you plug one in today, it will still work, because it's not relying on some kind of cloud service like today's consoles. Yeah there was the occasional glitch but overall they were coded properly from ground up and they were ready when it shipped. The philosophy today is ship it now, patch it later. Terrible really.

Not a big fan of the social stuff either. It's kinda sad when a classic like Super Mario now requires internet. As for the Wii gamepad it has potential, I think they should make it use wifi though so that it at least works anywhere on the wifi network. Some games can be played entirely on it, so it would double as a portable version of the game you are playing if someone wants to watch TV or you just want to go play somewhere else. Though if that game pad is really a big chunk of the cost I say get rid of it to lower the cost, or put more power in the console itself.

I'm not a huge gamer for either console or PC, but I think lot of people may agree that the newer generation of consoles is going the wrong direction. They're basically just computers now and suffer the same issues as PCs. Needing internet (you can't bring your console at the cottage or something) and programmers that are lazy and figure "meh we'll patch that later". Every single time I turn on my Wii U there is about 10-20 minutes worth of updates. It's ridiculous, when you consider the NES and SNES had no updates, and all the games work fine. If you plug one in today, it will still work, because it's not relying on some kind of cloud service like today's consoles. Yeah there was the occasional glitch but overall they were coded properly from ground up and they were ready when it shipped. The philosophy today is ship it now, patch it later. Terrible really.

Not a big fan of the social stuff either. It's kinda sad when a classic like Super Mario now requires internet. As for the Wii gamepad it has potential, I think they should make it use wifi though so that it at least works anywhere on the wifi network. Some games can be played entirely on it, so it would double as a portable version of the game you are playing if someone wants to watch TV or you just want to go play somewhere else. Though if that game pad is really a big chunk of the cost I say get rid of it to lower the cost, or put more power in the console itself.

YOU OBVIOUSLY do not turn your Wii-U on more than once every 3 months.

my Wii-U is played AT LEAST 5 times a week, its always connected and it has had - 3? updates in a year.

it has great games, hell my kids got 3ds's for xmas and monster hunter 3 for that- so now we all play together on the Wiiu. my kids on the 3ds and me (who is way higher atm than they are gear wise) on the Wii-U.

my kids play CoD:Ghosts/blops2 3-4 times a week, there is an active base. they play coop and online together. 3 people, playing 1 game, on one console, online gameplay- for free.... can the xbox/one or ps3/4 do that? nope.

nintendo's problem for 3rd parties is:

1)the system NEEDED to be more powerful initially- 4 gig of ram instead of the 2. and the cpu and gpu should have been "beefier" as well (50% more powerful at a minimum) due to the ps4 and one being ~3x the power of the wiiu, most "next gen" games won't run that well, yet it can do almost all the ps3 &360 ports very well.

2) marketing and the name- SUCKED.

3) they need a better online community setup.

nintendo just needs to ride out the system for another 3 years, then introduce a new console- with the gamepad- that is backwards compatible with the U, but "power" wise is matchging/exceeding the ps4 "spec" wise. for ~300 dollars.

Most of the posts in this thread are awful! Get rid of the tablet? Obviously never used it before and if you did, hated it before you even tried it. 3DS is junk? Are you guys for real?

Nintendo hardware is crap. It feels like a fisher price toy, its designed by a kid from 4th grade, yet they demand a $200+ price tag. Sorry, In a land of VERY HIGH QUALITY hardware such as apple, Samsung, and many others, Nintendo is WAY behind.

Your step one is stupid this is hands down one of the best features anyone who owns a Wii U knows this.

If that is the best feature it has, then that is a sad statement on how badly nintendo failed with this product and why only a few of you were dumb enough to buy it.

Sorry, but the tablet controller was at best a gimmick and at worst a completely inane idea. It isn't comfortable, has shitty battery life, the Devs hate it, gamers hate it is extremely expensive, goes completely against nintendo's "Family gaming concept" and basically is inferior to any other controller in basically every imaginable way. No it isn't the best feature, it is the main driving force behind the WiiU's utter failure.

I agree that marketing for this console was horrible. Perhaps if they called it the Wii HD and included a blu ray player things would be different.

Your step one is stupid this is hands down one of the best features anyone who owns a Wii U knows this.

I agree, the tablet controller rocks.

Lets face it the 3DS is an huge hit and the big boy in the mobile game market. This | why I am dumb founded as to why the 100s of titles in the xDS library are not getting a Wii-U port.

I would so throw down for "a link between worlds" or "project x zone"on the Wii-U

If anything I think Nintendo needs to double down; make a Wii-DS -- A handheld with the horse power to do HD; but has a dock that allows charging and the tablet controller for touch screen and the TV as the top screen.

What a clown article.
The freaking company survived the N64 and GameCube.
And now its dead with a better product on the shelves?
I didn't even knew when the Wii U came out... is Nintendo even promoting this thing yet?
The only way to go is up.. some promotions slow and easy I am sure they will grow the sales, just slowly, let the Xbox and PS4 be a big bang, let see how fast parents like myself realize the Wii U is a better choice.
Let see how fast before developers realize multi-million games (even worse, exclusives) might not be such a good idea, too large a gamble.. and simpler, but fun games that work well in all 3 consoles is a better choice, hence games will increase in the wii U
I want the wii U and 3DS before sony/MS, I just dont have the time for any games right now so its pointless to buy anything at all.

The 360 is 299
The ps3 is 249 to 299
The Wii u is 299

Where's the 100 bucks

The 4 Gb 360 and 12 Gb ps3 don't count you know damn well you need the hard drives

All 3 have been on sale for 249 quite a bit.

I have never bought a Nintendo system based on 3rd party games most if not all people especially here have at least one other way to play any 3rd party games.

When you factor in all games that it can play the Wii u has a giant library all Wii u games and Eshop games all Wii games and all its virtual console

The Wii u is a fun system I swear you'd think people got money or cool point for bagging on the damn thing.

People did the same shit with every system snes on. People bagged on the snes too back then if you didn't have a Sega genesis you just weren't cool. I had both so I say the same thing I said back then suck my .... :)

Odds are the 4GB 360 and 12GB PS3 are selling at least as well as the Wii U. It managed to sell through around 3M worldwide in a year. That is an utterly pathetic number, so if those two SKUs don't count then the Wii U doesn't count at all.

The Wii U is not relevant, all of the apologetics in the world won't change that, nor will Donkey Kong, Smash, or Mario Kart, just like all of the first-party games before them didn't change it. Nintendo needs to fundamentally alter their entire hardware and software development process to have a chance in hell with their next system and you're not helping.

Thanks for reinforcing my view that a large percentage of the Nintendo die-hards are mental children though.

Odds are the 4GB 360 and 12GB PS3 are selling at least as well as the Wii U. It managed to sell through around 3M worldwide in a year. That is an utterly pathetic number, so if those two SKUs don't count then the Wii U doesn't count at all.

The Wii U is not relevant, all of the apologetics in the world won't change that, nor will Donkey Kong, Smash, or Mario Kart, just like all of the first-party games before them didn't change it. Nintendo needs to fundamentally alter their entire hardware and software development process to have a chance in hell with their next system and you're not helping.

Thanks for reinforcing my view that a large percentage of the Nintendo die-hards are mental children though.

I was only referring to the $100 price difference that was talked about not sales.

So you basically learned nothing , last round Wii won with slower hardware.
Nintendo can not suddenly produce hardware and hope to compete when 3rd party support is missing.

Your statement that hardware change will fix things makes no sense.

This is fucking stupid I own and play every console so not sure how this applies to me but if it makes you feel better then run with that I guess. I mean it isn't like I don't have all my consoles posted

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1122338&page=81

I swear if I looked I've been called every different brand of fan boy depending on the thread its like the de facto response around here.

This thread is what happens when a discussion about Nintendo discussion is had with people who think they're "hardcore".

Hey armchair economists and self-proclaimed business aficionados, believe it or not your narcissistic opinions do not stretch beyond this shitty virtual space. I know this is difficult to grasp from outside of your cave but businesses as large as Nintendo have a few neckbeard professionals of their own.

Here's a source for how much a Wii-U costs to make:
http://wiiudaily.com/2012/04/wii-u-costs-nintendo-180-to-manufacture-report/

And here's a source for Playstation 4/Xbox One:
http://venturebeat.com/2013/11/29/t...sts-381-and-why-this-matters-in-the-long-run/

I think Nintendo can survive a while until they get their first party titles out. They're eating a deficit now while Microsoft/Sony ate the cost up front. The entire point of not investing in more powerful hardware is that they also aren't taking a risk. This isn't a dreamcast repeat as the dreamcast was attempting to push hardware boundaries at the same time which put it way over budget. Nintendo never took a gamble here. They invested only what they were willing to waste.
Also, 95% of this thread is people who haven't tried the system. Why you're calling anything a gimmick is beyond me as the there isn't anything here that isn't present in other systems now outside of the controller, and the controller has actually been EXTREMELY WELL RECEIVED.

Nah, you know what, go on ranting because Nintendo hasn't appealed to your own personal taste for years and you think that same space needs yet another contender.

The Pokemon franchise has been like a money printing machine for Nintendo. What I don't understand is why its mostly only been on their Gameboy line.

I guarantee if they released a WiiU Pokemon 3D RPG with an open world and the ability to do online multiplayer - sort of Pokemon version of GTA - those suckers would fly off the shelves. Can you imagine the line of elementary/middle school kids waiting to play that?

Call your system something new. Not link it to your old system. There was a lot of confusion there.

You mean like calling your new system Xbox One after there was already an Xbox? :p Or every Sony console for the last 20 years being called Playstation?

Also, 95% of this thread is people who haven't tried the system. Why you're calling anything a gimmick is beyond me as the there isn't anything here that isn't present in other systems now outside of the controller, and the controller has actually been EXTREMELY WELL RECEIVED.

And there lies the problem.

The tablet controller is new and not something we're used to. Sure, it might be the greatest thing since the sliced bread, but that won't matter unless Nintendo can get people to try it. And that's hard to do because people need buy the system to try the controller. Catch 22 :(

Yeah kill your core audience who had faith in you. This guy couldnt be more wrong.

Yeah kill your core audience who had faith in you. This guy couldnt be more wrong.

Thank goodness it was only a poorly made article and not something released specifically from Nintendo.

I enjoy the WiiU and have had a lot of fun with it so far and am looking forward to some excellent releases this year.

Thank goodness it was only a poorly made article and not something released specifically from Nintendo.

I enjoy the WiiU and have had a lot of fun with it so far and am looking forward to some excellent releases this year.

same here , im having a blast , its a nice addition to my ps3 and PC

I think Wii U's real problem is poor public perception more than anything intrinsic to the hardware or quality of its games. It's slightly underpowered for its size but the controller is great and the games are fantastic. It's just that those aren't the only factors that determine public perception. Hype is and the Wii U has had absolutely no hype surrounding it. They can still turn it around like Sony did with the PS3 (which was the laughing stock of the last gen in its early years) but they have to work for it.

They could, for example, fix the social aspects of their network and push the free multiplayer. Or they could copy the Instant Game Collection from PSN Plus because every Nintendo fan likes having access to the old classics. Those of us who never had a Wii still want to play Mario Galaxy and New Super Mario and Skyward Sword and etc. etc. etc. etc. Nothing sells better than value and getting free access to all those games in one box would be of enormous value to many of us.

And, just like we carry our Steam collections from computer to computer, we want to carry our Nintendo collections from console to console. If Steam were to limit me to one system then I'd be running Linux or OSX by now. Which is basically how Nintendo drives people to their competitors.

I think Wii U's real problem is poor public perception more than anything intrinsic to the hardware or quality of its games.

It's also a lack of any perception at all in a lot of cases. Everyone had heard of the Wii, even people who didn't follow gaming at all. If you ask those same people about the Wii U, most of them will say "what's that?"

Back