It’s Time, Nintendo: Kill Wii U and Think Big

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
With disappointing and diminishing sales figures staring Nintendo in the corporate face, many who follow the trends think it’s time to move on and develop a new product that will turn a profit for Nintendo instead of sucking the life out of the company. Nintendo’s customers have moved on, maybe it’s time Nintendo followed suit.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the WiiU's biggest issue is in fact the Wii.

EVERYONE got a Wii, and then realized "hey wait a minute - this is a gimmicky POS and these motion controls suck" And then Nintendo went full tilt boogie down the gimmicky, stupid crap, casual ware games because hey - that's what sold billions of Wiis.

Fact is - most gamers who spend serious money on games HATE their Wii, and simply aren't falling for it twice. All they gotta do is release a powerful console, and embrace the non casual crowd (and yes, little kids can handle non casual) and I'll pony up some $$$. That, or release some games for PS4/Xbone. HECK - release some good games for the damn WiiU that ditches all the stupidity. But they are doing none of these things so - to hell with em.

Agree with the article 100% Ditch the WiiU and let's get back to making some great Nintendo IPs

Terrible advice. Killing WiiU off this early will be a sure way to make Nintendo go the way of Sega.

All of sudden Nintendo needs to change their gameplan because someone at slashgear has an opinion on something he has no clue about.

The Wii U is a flop. Period. And it's time for Nintendo to kill it and determine its next move. Maybe the company should offer another, higher-end console to hard-core gamers. Maybe Nintendo should get out of the console business altogether. Heck, maybe Nintendo should just become another Rovio and make games for its franchises on different consoles

So make new hardware hope the 3rd party flocks to them. No Nintendo can only make progress by staying this course.

Nintendo made a killing with the Wii they obviously know what they are doing. Software wise it seems that the games are not drawing people in. Nintendo strength lies in their own games no games no sales.

I feel like Nintendo put itself on auto-pilot a couple of years ago but can't figure out how to turn it off.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the WiiU's biggest issue is in fact the Wii.

EVERYONE got a Wii, and then realized "hey wait a minute - this is a gimmicky POS and these motion controls suck" And then Nintendo went full tilt boogie down the gimmicky, stupid crap, casual ware games because hey - that's what sold billions of Wiis.

Fact is - most gamers who spend serious money on games HATE their Wii, and simply aren't falling for it twice. All they gotta do is release a powerful console, and embrace the non casual crowd (and yes, little kids can handle non casual) and I'll pony up some $$$. That, or release some games for PS4/Xbone. HECK - release some good games for the damn WiiU that ditches all the stupidity. But they are doing none of these things so - to hell with em.

Agree with the article 100% Ditch the WiiU and let's get back to making some great Nintendo IPs

The only reason I have a Wii is because I found out that my Gamecube Zelda game and controller would work on it. When my Gamecube died then I got a Wii to keep playing Zelda.

I thought the Wii was alright, but my Wii U gets far more play time than any of my other consoles, excluding PC. Even games on other consoles get purchased on the Wii U instead. The second screen is actually useful instead of being gimmicky and awkward like motion controls have been. The only thing it's really lacking is in the multiplayer/social area.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that most folks talking shit about the Wii U have most likely never played one. If you're not all about graphics, then I'd suggest at least trying it out if you ever get the chance. Mario 3D, NSMB, Wind Waker, Monster Hunter 3, Nintendo Land, Pikmin 3, ZombiU, Wonderful 101, all fantastic games. Even multi-plat games have been fantastic. SC:Blacklist, Deus Ex, Batman Arkham City and Origins, and Mass Effect 3 have all been far better to me than their 360 counter-parts thanks to the extra screen for gameplay and the (generally) higher FPS for smoothing the visuals.

The thing reminds me of the Dreamcast - it's awesome, but more people would rather bash it than try it, all the while the marketing team is screwing things up even more while the competition has more advanced, although not necessarily better, systems. I love my Wii U, but I don't see Nintendo making a comeback with it.

Nintendo shot themselves in the foot releasing another under powered console.

What they need to do for the long term is cut the price on the Wii U now, and work on their online service. Wait it out a few years then release a powerful system. If they do in the next year or two, it will be off the time/track with the next Xbox/PS, and 3rd party games still will be developed for the weaker systems anyway.

Its gay to have a HTPC, Xbox One, Playstation 4, WiiU, and a receiver all crowding under your TV when you could have a very elegant and sleek setup without all the redundancy.

Two consoles is already more than enough, and a bit idiotic since you have to buy two pieces of hardware that do the EXACT SAME THING if you want to play all the games.

Nintendo should go software only, and just release peripherals for HTPCs and consoles as their hardware, and make their money off of software and just make their games for computer, xbox, and ps4. Hell, a gaming laptop makes a good multi-purpose HTPC and is what I use now. I just bought an extra AC adapter, and I just plunk it down on the stand, connect the HDMI and power cable, and voila.

Just have bluetooth 4.0 controllers and what not and if it comes with a USB dongle I assume it would work for everything else.

I thought the Wii was alright, but my Wii U gets far more play time than any of my other consoles, excluding PC. Even games on other consoles get purchased on the Wii U instead. The second screen is actually useful instead of being gimmicky and awkward like motion controls have been. The only thing it's really lacking is in the multiplayer/social area.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that most folks talking shit about the Wii U have most likely never played one. If you're not all about graphics, then I'd suggest at least trying it out if you ever get the chance. Mario 3D, NSMB, Wind Waker, Monster Hunter 3, Nintendo Land, Pikmin 3, ZombiU, Wonderful 101, all fantastic games. Even multi-plat games have been fantastic. SC:Blacklist, Deus Ex, Batman Arkham City and Origins, and Mass Effect 3 have all been far better to me than their 360 counter-parts thanks to the extra screen for gameplay and the (generally) higher FPS for smoothing the visuals.

The thing reminds me of the Dreamcast - it's awesome, but more people would rather bash it than try it, all the while the marketing team is screwing things up even more while the competition has more advanced, although not necessarily better, systems. I love my Wii U, but I don't see Nintendo making a comeback with it.

Amen. These Wii U doomsday articles are getting out of hand. Nintendo is fine, they don't need to kill the Wii U. I applaud them for sticking to their guns and making legitimate games. None of the games out for PS4 or Xbox one are worth a damn; I play my Wii U a whole hell of a lot more than I ever played my 360. I'd encourage anyone who hasn't actually played the system to give it a try, it's got some pretty good games and more are on the way. While they are using the same franchises, the games are fresh and inventive, not like the same old rehashed games like COD and AC.

1) First party games will not sustain a home console.

2) Nintendo doesn't have third parties because those publishers make games for more powerful hardware that cannot be ported down to the WiiU.

Terrible advice. Killing WiiU off this early will be a sure way to make Nintendo go the way of Sega.

exactly. they need a few really good games for the system to increase the install base. 3rd parties will then return as well if there is money to be made. or make a pokemon mmo. the wii u will fly off the shelves.

all this doom and gloom... nintendo has enough cash to get through this and the hardware isn't that terrible either. they could drop the tablet for regular controllers to help with cutting the price. if they pull the plug on the wii u, they'll lose all credibility for the next project.

or make a pokemon mmo

THIS!

Traditional console controllers have always been limited for games with lots of skills/spells. The tablet controller would make it easier. I always hated being limited to 4 attacks for the pokemon games.

I doubt it will ever happen though. It would take just one little kid getting griefed or harassed by some douchebag for the game to get blown up with bad press.

Killing Wii U will kill consumer confidence in Nintendo. It needs to ride this out at least a 4 year term at least. Also, going couple of years without any console in the market just to pull the plug would make consumers forget about them.

The other problem is even 3rd party developers have been saying people only buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games. Nintendo needs to start introducing new IP's and get genre's that are absent from its current collection. One game every 3 months is not enough.

I think they really need to focus on better graphics, it still looks like game cube, and needs more innovation.

The Wii U should have been more powerful, while it didn't need to be as powerful as the PS4, it should have at least been powerful enough to play the same games with lower quality graphics.

I agree, I know graphics aren't what makes a good game but push the envelope a little bit and make a more powerful system. They have a large and faithful fan base, give them a reason to spend their money again.

hey wait a minute - this is a gimmicky POS

haha that's exactly they way I felt after like two weeks.

I agree, I know graphics aren't what makes a good game but push the envelope a little bit and make a more powerful system. They have a large and faithful fan base, give them a reason to spend their money again.

hey wait a minute - this is a gimmicky POS

haha that's exactly they way I felt after like two weeks, and now it just sits there

I love Nintendo. Their biggest mistake was not having all the great games on their new system. Also, Wii-U is probably the stupidest move they could have made. Call your system something new. Not link it to your old system. There was a lot of confusion there.

Whatever they do, they need to ship their new console ( if they release one ) with a new Zelda, a new Metroid, a new Donkey Kong, a new Mario Kart, etc etc. the NES and SNES are legendary. Why not have a modern take on the NES? Along with the classic game-pad. People would eat that shit up like crazy.

I had an argument with a wife coworker just recently who was still convinced the Wii U is just a controller for Wii. Marketing fail..

I love Nintendo. Their biggest mistake was not having all the great games on their new system. Also, Wii-U is probably the stupidest move they could have made. Call your system something new. Not link it to your old system. There was a lot of confusion there.

Whatever they do, they need to ship their new console ( if they release one ) with a new Zelda, a new Metroid, a new Donkey Kong, a new Mario Kart, etc etc. the NES and SNES are legendary. Why not have a modern take on the NES? Along with the classic game-pad. People would eat that shit up like crazy.

Well the WiiU is getting a lot of these title but over a two year period. The next Nintendo systems needs to have games for the top Nintendo IPs within the first six months.

How to sell the WiiU -

Step 1) Lose the stupid tablet controller.

Step 2) Cut the price by half and still make a profit because the aforementioned shitty controller was most of the price barrier.

Step 3) Profit from all the people suddenly willing to buy it.

How to sell the WiiU -

Step 1) Lose the stupid tablet controller.

Step 2) Cut the price by half and still make a profit because the aforementioned shitty controller was most of the price barrier.

Step 3) Profit from all the people suddenly willing to buy it.

Your step one is stupid this is hands down one of the best features anyone who owns a Wii U knows this.

Look, when your NEW console is about as powerful as your competitors' OLD hardware, you have almost 0 3rd party help and your fans don't even know the difference between your last console and this one...
You're doing it wrong.

Look, You're dominating the hand held market, keep making hardware there, that's where most of your profits are coming from.
You want to kill in the console market?
Stop making hardware after the WiiU.
Just quite.
No more, really.
Go to Sony and MS, dangle Metroid, Mario and Zelda in front of them as exclusives for their consoles, take the highest bidder and back one.
Hell, if you're smart, nudge MS a little, offer a discount if they'll let you port a Halo or 2 to the Gameboy whatever gen it is. Use them to drive Sony under and you'll eliminate your biggest hand held competitor (not running Android or iOS).
You've been downhill on the console side ever since the N64, have a little dignity.

Eh. My kids love the Wii U. And it's not so much for the games, to be honest. It's the fact that it's a really great way to consume other media (netflix, amazon, etc). Most days it needs to be recharged to full at least once.

No need to ditch this system. The games make the system, not the other way around.

I would push to not drop the tablet controller, but release a Wii-U SKU (hehe) without the tablet. A Wii U packaged with a standard controller, than users can get the tablet seperate if they want it. Than release some quality must have titles. My hopes would be more Mario, new Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Kid Icarus, Pilotwings, than a couple new IPs to look towards the future.

No need to ditch this system. The games make the system, not the other way around.

I would push to not drop the tablet controller, but release a Wii-U SKU (hehe) without the tablet. A Wii U packaged with a standard controller, than users can get the tablet seperate if they want it. Than release some quality must have titles. My hopes would be more Mario, new Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Kid Icarus, Pilotwings, than a couple new IPs to look towards the future.

The issue with making the tablet separate is that 1 that kills off what makes that "special" and also removes something that right now is needed for games.

Since it is there people design games to make sure of said tablet. So you can't exactly make it optional now without screw up the ability for people to buy older games.

They have already released a few Mario titles. How many should they release to make you happy if 3 isn't enough?

I think Twilight Princess for the GameCube was the last Nintendo game I thought was worth buying. I did try to play Mario Galaxy and Skyward Sword but they just seemed like previous games in the same series but more gimmicky and lame.

They need some crazy good games to sell a system with inferior hardware and stupid gimmicks. AND NEW IP, not just the same old IP from the original Nintendo. Otherwise they just need to do a Sega and stop making hardware.

As a stopgap measure they could release a Wii U without the slablet and with support for Android and iOS devices as controllers. It might work, but I think the whole console concept is such a turkey there isn't much hope out there.

Everyone in this thread that says lose the controller....you obviously haven't played the Wii U. The controller is what makes it great and so versatile.

Everyone in this thread that says lose the controller....you obviously haven't played the Wii U. The controller is what makes it great and so versatile.

It's also what drives up the price. The Wii U is $100 more expensive than consoles that have far superior libraries and seemingly comparable performance and only $100 less expensive than a console which has immensely superior performance and a far better software lineup in the future.

Anyone saying Nintendo just needs to release 'good games' is delusional. Metroid doesn't push consoles, nor does Zelda. Both of those might (might) sell well if there is already a big user base to sell it to, but that doesn't exist on the Wii U. They've done everything they can there outside of Smash and Mario Kart. Both of those are coming and neither are liable to move the needle much because there is virtually nil support from third-parties.

What Nintendo fans have never seemed to get is that multiplats may not sell a console, but not having them rules a console out for a huge chunk of people. That is where Nintendo is at today, they're simply not relevant for most people.

Nintendo should abandon hardware sales and focus on games - its the only reason people support Nintendo (lets face it their hardware is old as shit and poorly made).
What I also propose is an attachment for an iPhone and many other popular phones out there that would work as the current 3DS, you get all the same controls and all that jazz. THEN, create all the games that are currently out - for iOS and Android, and recreate classics. Then swim in money like Scrooge in duck tales.

Seriously, not many people want to buy a god damn 3DS or WII to play Nintendo's games. I personally wanted to play Pokemon X/Y (nostalgia reasons), but when I saw what kind of shitty quality console you get (3ds XL) for $200 I stopped myself. People already own mobile devices, but Nintendo is being too stubborn and only releases great titles for their platform. If they abandoned that old way of thinking they would easily make the money back in lost hardware sales if they distributed on iOS and Android.

But Nintendo fanboys will never see it that way, everything I said is wrong and not the nintendo way. Hey guess what? That is why no one is buying their shit.

It's also what drives up the price. The Wii U is $100 more expensive than consoles that have far superior libraries and seemingly comparable performance and only $100 less expensive than a console which has immensely superior performance and a far better software lineup in the future.

Anyone saying Nintendo just needs to release 'good games' is delusional. Metroid doesn't push consoles, nor does Zelda. Both of those might (might) sell well if there is already a big user base to sell it to, but that doesn't exist on the Wii U. They've done everything they can there outside of Smash and Mario Kart. Both of those are coming and neither are liable to move the needle much because there is virtually nil support from third-parties.

What Nintendo fans have never seemed to get is that multiplats may not sell a console, but not having them rules a console out for a huge chunk of people. That is where Nintendo is at today, they're simply not relevant for most people.

The 360 is 299
The ps3 is 249 to 299
The Wii u is 299

Where's the 100 bucks

The 4 Gb 360 and 12 Gb ps3 don't count you know damn well you need the hard drives

All 3 have been on sale for 249 quite a bit.

I have never bought a Nintendo system based on 3rd party games most if not all people especially here have at least one other way to play any 3rd party games.

When you factor in all games that it can play the Wii u has a giant library all Wii u games and Eshop games all Wii games and all its virtual console

The Wii u is a fun system I swear you'd think people got money or cool point for bagging on the damn thing.

People did the same shit with every system snes on. People bagged on the snes too back then if you didn't have a Sega genesis you just weren't cool. I had both so I say the same thing I said back then suck my .... :)

Nintendo should abandon hardware sales and focus on games - its the only reason people support Nintendo (lets face it their hardware is old as shit and poorly made).
What I also propose is an attachment for an iPhone and many other popular phones out there that would work as the current 3DS, you get all the same controls and all that jazz. THEN, create all the games that are currently out - for iOS and Android, and recreate classics. Then swim in money like Scrooge in duck tales.

Seriously, not many people want to buy a god damn 3DS or WII to play Nintendo's games. I personally wanted to play Pokemon X/Y (nostalgia reasons), but when I saw what kind of shitty quality console you get (3ds XL) for $200 I stopped myself. People already own mobile devices, but Nintendo is being too stubborn and only releases great titles for their platform. If they abandoned that old way of thinking they would easily make the money back in lost hardware sales if they distributed on iOS and Android.

But Nintendo fanboys will never see it that way, everything I said is wrong and not the nintendo way. Hey guess what? That is why no one is buying their shit.
I swear to shit I'm done the day this happens! It was bad enough Sega did it when they hit a friggin home run the Dreamcast is still awesome.

The 360 is 299
The ps3 is 249 to 299
The Wii u is 299

Where's the 100 bucks

The 4 Gb 360 and 12 Gb ps3 don't count you know damn well you need the hard drives

All 3 have been on sale for 249 quite a bit.

I have never bought a Nintendo system based on 3rd party games most if not all people especially here have at least one other way to play any 3rd party games.

When you factor in all games that it can play the Wii u has a giant library all Wii u games and Eshop games all Wii games and all its virtual console

The Wii u is a fun system I swear you'd think people got money or cool point for bagging on the damn thing.

People did the same shit with every system snes on. People bagged on the snes too back then if you didn't have a Sega genesis you just weren't cool. I had both so I say the same thing I said back then suck my .... :)

Some of them might take you up on the offer

I swear to shit I'm done the day this happens! It was bad enough Sega did it when they hit a friggin home run the Dreamcast is still awesome.

The issue there was how they hit that home run. Had they only made the Dreamcast they would have been fine. instead they split everyone into two teams. Both to make a console, the first one to get done was the one that went to market. Which means they spent twice was much on R&D as they could have. by doing this they ran themselves bankrupt and couldn't recover.

Nintendo did the same thing years ago with the Virtual Boy. Sad part about that is that the team that was further behind had a full color version of the system working and was only slightly behind the team of what we ended up with. Difference there was that Nintendo was able to eat the cost of the two dev teams unlike Sega.

Oh whine and moan. Let's kill off the system that's only been around 2 years. Nintendo should invest billions into a product that performs as well as the PS4 and start to entice more third party vendors over.. so they can become Sony.

Sorry , no. Nintendo simply needs to listen and adapt to what its audience wants and stop pretending that HD graphics and the Internet are stuck back in the late 90's. Once Nintendo does this they will certainly catch up.

Frankly I would be happy if Nintendo abandoned the home console market and simply came out with a really powerful portable console that wasn't based around the gimmick of 3D. They seem to really understand portable gamers who aren't happy with trashing mobile games full of ads and malware.

I like Mario brother.
but what I don't like about Mario on the wii u is the fact that the graphics are so poor made. they could have done a better job I think, the wii u is capable I think. but the graphics are of poor taste?! they could have done better.

Back