IT job outlook is looking good?

There will always be a need for IT. Like there is a need for a janitor.

There will always be a need for IT. Like there is a need for a janitor.

Exactly. Because of one thing: users.

Users make messes- keep janitors in business.

You could technically invent a robot to do the janitor's work though.

But computers will never be "smart enough" to make IT people obsolete. 99% of problems are user stupidity. Installing, changing a setting, or doing anything else they shouldn't have done... No amount of computing power in the world can fix that ;)

Sad.. I make less than half the average salary in my profession. 15-1071 Network and Computer Systems Administrators - Mean annual wage - $65,260

I'm at that minus $35,000.

Until you have days like I did today...tanked Exchange server from 0760 to 1630 at a big insurance firm. Ugh!

I'll be seeing eseutil switches in my sleep tonight.

lol @ eseutil remarks...

its your friend... i don't know how many times eseutil has completely saved my client's asses... scares them into better backup systems

Sad.. I make less than half the average salary in my profession. 15-1071 Network and Computer Systems Administrators - Mean annual wage - $65,260

so seems to be everyone else in IT. Isn't it like 30k for the first 5 years. Sloooww raise

Where'd you pull that from?

so seems to be everyone else in IT. Isn't it like 30k for the first 5 years. Sloooww raise

Considering this is a MEDIAN, you've gotta think that there is some people getting paid a ton of money out there driving that number up. All the IT people I know, at both public/private corporations, don't see the huge raises and salaries that many articles like this project.

Until you have days like I did today...tanked Exchange server from 0760 to 1630 at a big insurance firm. Ugh!

I'll be seeing eseutil switches in my sleep tonight.

What exactly does this do? As far as I've ever known (and a very quick check online) it's an integrity checker... Does it improve performance (like is this something I should run occasionally as well?)???
You still rely on data backup though to have something to check, right? Just not quite sure why eseutil saved you guys so many times (thankfully, I don't mess with Exchange enough, nor have I had a problem like this before, to know!)

What exactly does this do? As far as I've ever known (and a very quick check online) it's an integrity checker... Does it improve performance (like is this something I should run occasionally as well?)???
You still rely on data backup though to have something to check, right? Just not quite sure why eseutil saved you guys so many times (thankfully, I don't mess with Exchange enough, nor have I had a problem like this before, to know!)

ESEUTIL is first thing you do to check and repair your exchange stores. If your store cannot be fixed by it, then you go to the backups and logs.

All the IT people I know, at both public/private corporations, don't see the huge raises and salaries that many articles like this project.

It may have to do with what exactly they and their company does and how many people are in the company. I work for a network security consultant company and we have 6 other employees in the small business and we (IT guys) make more than $65k/year.

IT jobs will always be there but a big misconception for most is that you won't always make the big bucks just being an IT guy. Now IT management is a whole other story.

You have to start somewhere though so getting your feet in the door is the first step.

It may have to do with what exactly they and their company does and how many people are in the company. I work for a network security consultant company and we have 6 other employees in the small business and we (IT guys) make more than $65k/year.

IT jobs will always be there but a big misconception for most is that you won't always make the big bucks just being an IT guy. Now IT management is a whole other story.

You have to start somewhere though so getting your feet in the door is the first step.

I am the IT Manager for a company with over 200 employees between two locations that are about 2 hours apart. I am the ONLY IT person for this company and I make way less that that median. I am not sure what you mean by IT management, but I would think since I am the ONLY go-to-guy I could make more than I do.

I'm actually at the median plus about $10k. :cool:

I'm depressed now. Although, I'm going to keep telling myself geographics have a lot to do with salary too. Well, time to start crackin on the 2008 exams. -.-

I am the IT Manager for a company with over 200 employees between two locations that are about 2 hours apart. I am the ONLY IT person for this company and I make way less that that median. I am not sure what you mean by IT management, but I would think since I am the ONLY go-to-guy I could make more than I do.

dude, i hope you are getting 5 dollars a mile.. monster.com, your getting handled :eek:

my 1 cent: geography has everything to do with it. im 1.5 years out of school, no certs. not a true admin.. more a senior helpdesk tech / light systems admin, im at 47k (which isnt by any means impressive, but im happy for my short time in the working world). i have had some successful proposals go into effect that saved the company alot of money which directly contributed to a substantial increase from my starting salary. i also see alot of my buds underestimate their earnings potential, dont be shy to ask for more than you think your worth. you can always come down. more often than not, your going to know how much your worth much better than some old cfo. (just make sure you arent asking for more than other IT staff...)
my 2 cents: if your just getting started, try to look for financial and the health care industry, i feel they are good for rapid development and job security.

my 2 cents: if your just getting started, try to look for financial and the health care industry, i feel they are good for rapid development and job security.

I second that, financial just has dough. It's crazy. With the Healthcare industry, yeah, there are significant demands for resources in that field, however, keep in mind that the healthcare industry is EXTREMELY regulated. This means learning a lot of new rules and making sure you're committed to executing upon them without fail. Mistakes in the Healthcare industry in IT can have drastic consequences for the entire company if you screw up. . .sure, this is a little FUD, but it can happen.

Back