IT Admin Leaves Backdoor Accounts for Benefit of New Employer

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Megalith, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

In what seems like a case of industrial espionage, a former IT admin for Columbia Sportswear installed backdoors before he left so he could gain insight on his previous employer’s business decisions. After what I assume was a lengthy investigation by the FBI, Mr. Leeper was fired. He seemed to be able to climb up the corporate ladder by more ethical means, so I am not sure why he screwed himself over like this.

…Columbia [Sportswear]…alleges that days before he left, Leeper installed two backdoors on their network. Columbia claims Leeper used these two accounts (mainly the jmanning account) on more than 700 different occasions to access its network and then to access the email accounts of various Columbia employees from where he gained insight into the company's upcoming business decisions, especially those related to its IT infrastructure. This information allowed Leeper to gain a competitive advantage in his dealings as Denali CTO with his former employer.

2. thebeephaha

thebeephaha 2[H]4U

True story - I used to work for the parent company of Denali, 3MD Inc. at another one of their businesses, Hard Drives Northwest / Computer Stop.

3. RealBeast

RealBeast Limp Gawd

At least he will have the opportunity to make some new friends in prison. For his sake, I hope that he is tough, ugly, and mean. He may learn a lot of new things about backdoors there. :LOL:

legcramp likes this.
  4. Mugato

Mugato Limp Gawd

Wasn't very smart was he.

5. viscountalpha

viscountalpha [H]ard|Gawd

Some people think they are smarter then they actually are. This is a perfect point for that.

F.E.A.R., swatbat, ruffbytes and 3 others like this.
  6. Exavior

Exavior [H]ardForum Junkie

I don't see a problem with what he did. He didn't hurt anyone in person so this is perfectly fine. How dare he be fired or charged with anything.

7. viscountalpha

He used is backdoor access to take confidential files and emails for a competitor. It's clearly illegal access and unethical to boot. So no. He did something very wrong.

ruffbytes, Armenius and sleepeeg3 like this.
  8. NeghVar

NeghVar [H]ard|Gawd

Was the backdoor password Joshua?

Red Falcon and Armenius like this.
  9. Exavior

sorry, I was trying to be an ass similar to people in another thread that were of the mindset that if you so not so physical harm to a person while in person you shouldn't be able to be charged with any type of crime.

just wanted to see if that mindset applied to this as it seemed to apply to everything else.

10. BloodyIron

BloodyIron [H]ard|Gawd

It was Falken

11. ruffbytes

ruffbytes Limp Gawd

The embarrassing part is practicing such terrible opsec. You really should not be caught doing something like this. I have to imagine that he isn't terribly good at IT.

EDIT: It is also should be embarrassing to practice such unethical behavior.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  12. lcpiper

lcpiper [H]ardness Supreme

If you want to take CUG's place you need to step up your game bro. He set a very high mark (y)

13. lcpiper

Sorry bro, you lose points for failing the Troll Identification Test at [H] :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

14. Parja

Parja [H]ardForum Junkie

Man, your sarcasm/blatant troll detector needs to be sent in for recalibration. You must have dropped it or something.

15. lcpiper

Embarrassing ?

For me, embarrassing is forgetting to back up a config file before I edit it.

As an IT guy myself, what this guy did was criminally unethical and hangin's too good for him.

That he got caught, well that was actually just stupid, cause only a stupid IT guy would think that this would go unnoticed for any length of time.

16. Meeho

Meeho 2[H]4U

Cccc, no, it was Jeff.

17. ruffbytes

ruffbytes Limp Gawd

100% agreed. He looks like a complete moron that shouldn't be in charge of any network! That's embarrassing!

18. viscountalpha

I was hit with a cold recently so that could be it ;)

19. westrock2000

westrock2000 [H]ardness Supreme

Not 1 reference to his last name in regards to his current predicament?

20. Exavior

Nobody can ever replace her, she set the bar way to high :)

On a side note, it is a shame that once our passwords got reset that she never was able to return. Not unless she made herself a new account and we just haven't caught on to any new users being that level of bat shit crazy.

21. daglesj

daglesj 2[H]4U

If I was the head IT guy at a company I was leaving, I would want the no.2 IT guy to sit with me and confirm in writing that he had changed all my passwords and revoked me out of the system before I left.

stormy1 likes this.