Issues wtih new 680 and BF3

kenpomasta

Gawd
Im having issues with my new 680. I moved up from a 285 up to this, and Im not getting great performance out of my 680. Ive been monitoring the GPU usage, and it seems that Im not going over around 50% in multi, and my gameplay is not smooth, as my framerate is dipping a lot. I know I dont have the newest and greated CPU, but I would think it should be enough.

Im seeing some odd things, like during playin, Im watching Precision X, and I can see the GPU unclocking itself sometimes, as the usage dips below 50%. My CPU is a Q6600 @ 3.5 GHz, and I can see its around 90% usage across the 4 cores. Ive treid to reinstall drivers, and also Bf3, but nothing has helped. Im wondering if anyone else has seen this issue with thier 680.

I see the same issue with GPU usage, no matter what res I try, either 1080p, or 2560x1440, and framerates all stink. I was trying to run Ultra with no AA enabled, but thats only sitting in the 20-30s on either res. Ive had to drop down to Medium setting @ 1080p to get it to smooth out into the 40s with it sitting @ 50% usage. Im hoping someone has a suggestion because I was almost getting better performance from my 285 :(

I think your CPU might be bottleneck. You really need i5 or i7 to get full potential of GTX 680.

You might be bottlenecked at the CPU. I have an i7-930 OC'd to 4.2 GHz and it keeps the GTX 680 at 99% and the CPU cores are each at 85%. I get 70+ FPS constantly with settings on ULTRA.

ok thanks, def surprised that I cant even do 1080p, but thanks

CPU bottleneck isn't so much about the graphics quality, its about the CPU having to keep up with the large map, large number of players, physics and other game logic workload which cannot be tune down by the graphics quality.

ok thanks, def surprised that I cant even do 1080p, but thanks

CPU bottleneck has nothing to do with resolution. It has to do with your max frames per second you can achieve. So it wouldn't matter if you were playing at 800x600 or 4000 by 3000.

yea, i have my i5 2500k at 4.2 and my 7950 1150/1650 and it I get 73 fps avg. Your cpu is guaranteed to be you bottleneck. Get an i5 2500k for like 195$!!!

Just for giggles try making sure internet explorer is closed before you play. I have a 2600k at 4.6ghz and whenever IE is open and even sometimes firefox, I get 50% gpu utilization in bf3. I was messing around and noticed quite accidentally that after I closed IE that the gpu utilization went back to 95-99%. This has been verified by me multiple times as always fixing my low gpu utilization problem. Try closing your browsers after you get in the game and see if that fixes it.

Im having issues with my new 680. I moved up from a 285 up to this, and Im not getting great performance out of my 680. Ive been monitoring the GPU usage, and it seems that Im not going over around 50% in multi, and my gameplay is not smooth, as my framerate is dipping a lot. I know I dont have the newest and greated CPU, but I would think it should be enough.

Im seeing some odd things, like during playin, Im watching Precision X, and I can see the GPU unclocking itself sometimes, as the usage dips below 50%. My CPU is a Q6600 @ 3.5 GHz, and I can see its around 90% usage across the 4 cores. Ive treid to reinstall drivers, and also Bf3, but nothing has helped. Im wondering if anyone else has seen this issue with thier 680.

I see the same issue with GPU usage, no matter what res I try, either 1080p, or 2560x1440, and framerates all stink. I was trying to run Ultra with no AA enabled, but thats only sitting in the 20-30s on either res. Ive had to drop down to Medium setting @ 1080p to get it to smooth out into the 40s with it sitting @ 50% usage. Im hoping someone has a suggestion because I was almost getting better performance from my 285 :(

Well, it might be a CPU bottleneck as said already, but, I noticed some funny issues with my 680 in games and I am running on an i2500k. Try this and see does it make a difference,

Go into nvidia control panel and then into the 3D settings. Scroll down to Power mangement mode and change it to 'prefer maximum performance' Apply the changes and try a few games.

See how you get on with that.

You will double your frame rate with a sandy or ivy.

I have two 480's, and i lent one to a buddy running a system with an X3220 (or something like that) xeon lga 775 system. In all the games we play together, on the same graphics card, different CPU's and ram, i get more than double his frame rate.

Now, if a 680 is really twice as fast as a 480 like the benchmarks say, then you are seriously bottlenecked by your q6600.

I have a rig with one 480 and I just switched from an X3220 to a 2500K. The fps minimums went from 30 to 55+ on average. Night and day improvement in smoothness and playability.

Just for giggles try making sure internet explorer is closed before you play. I have a 2600k at 4.6ghz and whenever IE is open and even sometimes firefox, I get 50% gpu utilization in bf3. I was messing around and noticed quite accidentally that after I closed IE that the gpu utilization went back to 95-99%. This has been verified by me multiple times as always fixing my low gpu utilization problem. Try closing your browsers after you get in the game and see if that fixes it.

Yup it happens if you have a browser open that uses GPU for rendering. Also happens in like chrome or something if there's a youtube tab open, as flash is hardware accelerated

Yup it happens if you have a browser open that uses GPU for rendering. Also happens in like chrome or something if there's a youtube tab open, as flash is hardware accelerated

You can turn that off in the browser settings and in Flash as well.

Thanks starbuck. I saw the option to use software for flash in IE and click it and now no more 50% gpu in bf3 when IE is open. I always just closed it before I played until now. Good idea! BF3 is the only game that suffers from that when IE is open though for some reason...

Back