Issues with x1950Pro and TV /w VGA input

Breath_of_the_Dying

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a sceptre X42 1080p naga. This TV works really well and supports 1920x1080 resolution with VGA input. I'm really happy with my x1950pro purchase save one issue.

When I reach the logon screen of XP the screen goes blank. I've seen reports of it happening on other LCD monitors too.

My solution is to let XP startup and keep the cable unplugged from the video card. Once I'm in the logon screen I plug it it. From there it works, but the resolutions are all messed up. When I'm at 1920x1080 resolution, my TV sees 1240x1024 resolution and I can Bump scroll across the entire desktop. To fix that I first set the resolution to 1920x1080, and accept. Then I turn on extend my desktop to the second monitor (which doesnt exist), and lower the resolution on the main monitor. When I hit accept, XP makes that sound like a new device was installed. I decline the changes, putting it back at 1920x1080 resolution, and from there it works perfectly!! All is well until I turn my computer off and have to do it again.

Recap of steps
1) Turn on computer and leave the vga to video card cable unplugged
2) Plug it in on the logon screen
3) Change resolution to 1920x1080, accept
4) Extend desktop to second monitor, lower resolution on main moniter
5) Cancel and everything is good!

This is getting very annoying to do, and I was wondering if anyone knows a solution to it. I dont have to do this in safe mode, so I'm guessing is a driver issue (using 7.1) Do you think the only solution is waiting for new drivers?

Thanks in advance

I must know the answer to this! I'm using an X1950 GT with the same television and getting the exact same problem. The TV automatically picks up as a second monitor from DVI to HDMI (don't have the "no signal" problem), but it keeps maxing out to 1280x1024. Even when I set its resolution to 1920x1080, it goes to that size, but keeps the black vertical bars on the screen, keeping it from filling. I'm also using the latest ATI drivers.

This problem was fixed on my previous Radeon 9800 Pro by rolling back to 5.1 drivers, but it won't let me do that with this card. Any solution?

Did you try my above steps?

I once tried DVI to HDMI, but that caused all the problems to start happening again. I went back to DVI to VGA because I at least knew how to solve the problem.

I couldnt get 1920x1080 resolutions to work when my computer didn't recoginize it as a plug and play computer. It kept saying standard monitor and it didn't support widescreen resolutions.

Is the TV you're only monitor, you're saying it picks it up as the secondary monitor? I plugged mine into the left DVI output (the one closest to the mobo).

Try what I said to to above. Whichever monitor your tv is seen is, set that resolution to 1920x1080 and accept. Then turn on your other monitor and change the resolurion of your tv to something lower, then apply, but do not accept (so it goes back to the original setting). This should make the computer recoginize the TV.

The way I avoided doing this was using the CCC to automatically do what I mentioned above. On display options I forced it to turn on the seconday display (I had 2 options, should be either one). Somewhere along the lines though it automatically fixed itself, and now I dont use CCC to force the secondary monitor, nor do I have to change the display properties. At logon screen its full resolution. I dont know how it fixed itself, but now its fixed. I hope this helps

Well, I've had to work with this problem twice now. On my previous computer with a Radeon 9800 Pro and DVI to HDMI, it wouldn't detect the second monitor (TV) at all with the latest drivers, but when I rolled back to ATI's 5.1 drivers, it picked up fine and filled the screen with 1920x1080 resolution.

Now I'm using an X1950 GT. It picks up the TV automatically without any issue when I plug it in, so that's not a problem now. But yea, I'm having the issue where it won't fill the screen when in 1920x1080 res. The TV stays at 1280x1024, keeps the vertical black bars on the side, and I can bump scroll across.

Thanks for replying. Guess I'll keep tinkering with it. If you got it working, I should be able to, also. At least that makes it not feel hopeless.

Back