issues with USB on new Gigabyte AMD board?

scottmso

Limp Gawd
I just built a new system with a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P and Phenom II X4 840. Everything seems to work great, except some of the USB ports act a bit erratic.

The board has two pairs of USB 2.0 ports on the board itself (I/O shield), as well as two pairs of USB headers onto the board (one of which is used for the front pair of USB ports on my case). If I plug my keyboard and mouse into the pair of USB ports below the Ethernet jack in the back, they don't work properly. Sometimes the mouse won't get power, or the keyboard won't work, etc. If I plug in other devices (ie USB thumbdrive) it seems to work fine. And if I plug the keyboard/mouse into other ports, they work fine there as well.

What could be the problem here? Maybe the devices aren't getting enough power? Could it be something intentional that I'm not aware of (ie keyboard/mouse or high-power devices aren't supposed to be plugged into certain ports for whatever reason)? I really don't want to, but should I just return the board for another one?

Any advice appreciated; thanks!

i've had that problem on various boards. for some reason they seem to be picky about where i plug my keyboard an mouse into. for example my biostars 780G liked having my keyboard and mouse in the bottom 2 ports but not the top ones.. my m2n-sli deluxe likes having them plugged into the top ports. but neither board had issues with where anything else was plugged into. my guess is its just something picky with the USB controller.

so as long as the keyboard and mouse are working fine on 2 of the 4 USB ports and you aren't having any other issues with anything else, then i wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited:
double post due to the server having a hiccup..

Last edited:
Back