Issues with some programs on Windows 10

carlmart

Gawd
Recently I installed Windows 10 on my main PC.

I have been running Windows 10 on my laptop for several years, and I never had these issues I'm going to describe here. So I wonder what might be happening and what can be done to solve the problem.

For now it has happened on some of the programs I regularly used in Windows 7, so I know the programs are fine. Some did work on my laptop's W10, some did not. In fact that is the reason why I took so long in adopting W10 on my main PC. But safety issues seemed to have crawled into it, causing malfunctions and problems in W7 that might be related to Microsoft stopping supporting it, particularly Windows Defender, which they should have kept at least.

OK, let's see what's been happening with Windows 10. One of the programs I have had problems with is legitimate, not piracy, free and downloadable from a reliable site. It's Vidcoder.

Vidcoder is a program that converts video, which went through several versions, and I have done probably hundreds of conversion with it, always using version 2.62. I have my own settings, which fit the quality and size I want on those conversions. But that is not the problem.

When I try to run any version of Vidcoder, even the latest ones, I keep receiving this message. If I click on OK several times I end up opening the program, but I wonder if something is happening or why this is happening.

Another program I have the same problem is Subtitle Workshop, on version 6, which is the only one I can run on Windows 10. Same message, same clicking OK until I get to run the program.

Of course I did what they say: install the program from its original installer, but the problem persists even when I do so.

I have just tried to run two other programs I always use, and I get the same message. Any clues on what might be happening and how can I solve it.

I even thought of using my laptop SSD to boot my PC machine with, but I don't think it will run: would it? My idea is if my W10, done using the official Windows 10 you download from Microsoft, has some issues with my hardware.

Attachments

• W10 error.jpg
    W10 error.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 0
OK, found the culprit for this problem. It was just luck, though I have learned my lesson.

A search on Google with the error words got me nowhere, except to a suggestion it might be related to the Nvidia driver.

When uninstalling the Nvidia driver, and trying to clean anything Nvidia from my PC, I used Revo Uninstaller (which I recommend)... and there it was.

A program called Web Companion which I had not installed, and seemed harmless. As I also thought it was not useful I uninstalled it completely. And voilá!

The error problem disappeared!

So be warned about this dreadful thing called Web Companion!

Is there a way I can load a warning on the web, so that everyone looking for this error has look on his computer for this dangerous thing?

Web Companion is a free tool from Lavasoft and it supposedly protects internet surfers from malicious websites, data tracking, advertisements, phishing scams and etc. In 2014 it replaced Ad-Aware Security Toolbar and has reached a pretty good success are with users.

I looked in my add/remove and did not see it listed so I don't have it.

see above
The error problem disappeared!

So be warned about this dreadful thing called Web Companion!

Is there a way I can load a warning on the web, so that everyone looking for this error has look on his computer for this dangerous thing?
you would have had to have added that yourself.
nothing wrong with it, your "free" programs just dont get along with it.

We are talking about high quality programs, as Vidcoder. And the list of the programs that might be affected is probably much much larger and it probably includes expensive programs.

So the "nothing wrong with it" certainly does not belong here. A lot wrong with it, I should say.

And, yes, that Web Companion program was probably installed by me by distraction, along with some other programs that include "options" that most people do not pay attention when they are installing them.

Once again, I would like to put a warning somewhere on the malicious effect Web Companion might have on their installation.

We are talking about high quality programs, as Vidcoder. And the list of the programs that might be affected is probably much much larger and it probably includes expensive programs.

So the "nothing wrong with it" certainly does not belong here. A lot wrong with it, I should say.

And, yes, that Web Companion program was probably installed by me by distraction, along with some other programs that include "options" that most people do not pay attention when they are installing them.

Once again, I would like to put a warning somewhere on the malicious effect Web Companion might have on their installation.
lol its an open source front end for handbrake not a "high quality program".
blah blah, shit happens and you just did.
edit: or you could, you know, let nvidia and the vidcoder people know about it....

Last edited:
Back