Issues with RX 570 Nitro+ 8GB

doveman

n00b
I just installed a new Sapphire RX 570 Nitro+ 8GB in my Dad's PC and have noticed some weird issues. His system is Asus Z97-A, i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, 32GB DDR3, 2*SSD, 2*HDD, Corsair CX750M PSU.

I tested with X-Plane 11 in Windows 10, which is a clean install just for X-Plane, and monitored the GPU with GPU-Z and as you can see from this screenshot the usage was constantly fluctuating quite extremely, down to as low as 2-4%. In 2D mode the clocks were both 300Mhz and with the game running the GPU Core clock went to 1340Mhz as it should but the GPU Memory clock was only hitting 1000Mhz and also constantly fluctuating.

XP11 stats.png

The CPU time and GPU time stats in X-Plane were both around 0.024 which I understand is a good thing as it shows that neither component is bottlenecking the other.

Another issue I experienced is straight after booting Windows 10 I loaded X-Plane to the main menu and then loaded GPU-Z and it completely froze and then rebooted. It's been overclocked to 4.4Ghz since I built it a couple of years ago (he got lucky with the silicon and can run at 4.4Ghz at lower voltage than I need to hit 4.3Ghz) and has never crashed before now. I did upgrade his RAM from 8GB 1600Mhz to 32GB 1866Mhz recently but that was all properly detected and set in the BIOS and hasn't caused any crashes either, until I fitted the 570. He was previously using the Intel 4600 IGP but that's disabled now so the CPU has less work to do as a result.

I checked the BIOS switch on the RX 570 and it's definitely on Gaming, not Compute.

I tested X-Plane 11 on my own PC, same motherboard and CPU except mine only runs at 4.3Ghz, 32GB 2400Mhz DDR3, Nvidia 1070ti 8GB, EVGA G2 750XR PSU.

As you can see, whilst the GPU usage does fluctuate it's around 20-30% and never dropping down to single figures like my Dad's and the Memory Clock is stable too. The Core clock is quite low (although stable) but I think that's because X-Plane wasn't stressing the GPU much. The X-Plane stats show CPU time 0.0415 and GPU time 0.0214, which I think means the CPU was working much harder and bottlenecking the GPU.

XP11-MyPC.png

Obviously I don't expect the same performance from a 570 and a 1070ti and I haven't compared with exactly the same settings and location but I don't think that matters. Surely the GPU usage shouldn't be fluctuating so severely on my Dad's machine? Does this suggest a fault with the card?

Last edited:
Remove all old videocard drivers (DDU or AMD cleanup if your previous card was AMD as well). Re install AMD drivers with clean install option.

just saw you had a clean install of Windows just use the clean install feature after you removed the current drivers.

Yeah, I did a clean install of the drivers. He didn't have any AMD drivers before anyway as he was just using the Intel IGP.

Yesterday I updated the motherboard BIOS, tweaked a couple of BIOS settings to match mine (we have the same MB+CPU) and updated the drivers to 19.1.1. Some of that might have fixed the freezing/rebooting problem (hard to say yet as it was intermittent anyway) but the GPU load problem persists.

Back