Issues with Knoppix on laptops?

JohnnyNuke

Limp Gawd
I'm trying to boot Knoppix (v3.4, 5/17/04) off the LiveCD on my HP Pavilion ze4805 notebook. After the splash screen, it shows dark black screen and stays that way. The HDD doesnt spin, the CDROM doesnt spin, just nothing.

Has there been any reported issues? What could cause it to do this? Yes, the LiveCD is fine, works on every PC in the house, just not my laptop.

Thanks in advance,

-JN

Depending on what video hardware the laptop uses, it's possible that it's having problems loading X, or that it loads correctly, but the video mode isn't set to something that the laptop displays properly.

While knoppix works fine on my laptop, it does something similar to what you describe on my dad's. I checked the messages file, though, and it was indeed an X problem.

if you get a boot prompt, on my knoppix version you can press f2 for extra boot options.

X is very picky on what video hardare it wants to run on. Most of the time if video hardware does not play you have two options. 1.Command Line or 2. Tweaking settings till X drives you insane. With a slim chance of getting lucky and having it work.

It some up fine on my alienware.
It comes up fine on my wife's Thinkpad 390Z
It comes up fine on my (new-to-me) Tecra
I have to specify "lknoppix26 fb1024x768 screen=1024x768 depth=16 nodma noscsi noagp" to get it to come up on my Latitude CPi-A. That was hard to figure out originally. When it comes up I have to manually configure the sound.

The only one that doesn't run Linux anyway is my wife's which runs win2k during it's normal life.

i would just go with
knoppix 2
(text console) and then you can tweak things from there. if you are doing recovery you can probably get by without x, but if you are trying to do something that requires it, you can edit your XF86Config or whatever else is needed

Back