Issues with getting AM4 Motherboards working -- MSI Carbon and Asus Prime

snowysnowcones

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi!
I've had some real trouble getting my Ryzen build up and running the past several days. First, I had the MSI X370 Carbon board. I built the computer with the below specs:
  • CPU: Ryzen 1700X
  • MOBO: MSI Pro Carbon
  • RAM: Corsair Vengance LED 16GB
  • PSU: NZXT 650 watt
  • GPU: Radeon R9 290
  • HDD: Corsair M2 120 GB
  • Case: Fractal R5
I put all the components into my new case, pressed the power button and... nothing. No fan spin up, nothing, other than the video card's LED lights turning on.

So, I tried a few things:
  1. Tried shorting the power pin on the motherboard in case the power button on the case was faulty.
  2. Tried a secondary CPU power cable from my power supply
  3. Tried removing the set up out of the case and booting it on a neutral surface (cardboard/wood)
Nothing worked. I did confirm my NZXT power supply was in working order. So, I assumed that my motherboard must be faulty. I returned the MSI motherboard and exchanged it for the ASUS Prime X370 Pro (BIOS: 0502) Unfortunately, the same problem persists... plug everything in, the motherboard LED's lights turn on, but when trying to power up the motherboard, nothing spins up. I even went out and purchased a new Corsair 750 watt power supply just in case somehow the NZXT didn't like playing with the new AM4 board. I've been trying for hours and hours and hours to get this to work.

TL;DR: Motherboard LEDs come on but computer does not turn on. Replaced PSU, tried build on neutral surface, tried various combinations of power cables, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Wow, so not long after I posted this thread, I finally found out what the solution was. When installing Ryzen into the AM4 motherboard, I was letting it "fall" into the pinholes then pushing down the lever to lock the CPU in place. However, what I finally noticed was that the lever, while maybe locking the CPU in place, was not pushing the CPU all the way into its socket. What I ended up doing was making sure the CPU was pushed all the way down into the socket before pushing down the lever to lock the CPU in place. Below, you can see how Ryzen was slightly not in the socket all the way. This was probably impossible to see from a top-down case approach and really only visible on the kitchen counter.

231NnSw.jpg

Oh wow you can really see it, appreciate you posting this. I haven't had a pinned CPU for so long this would of flown over my head. Reading your post I was thinking it was the CPU, as that would stop the board from beeping at you.

This is the exact reason why I do push down any FM2+ processors on systems I build.

it not FM2+ that is a specific socket, though am sure I know what you meant i.e fm2 and beyond.. lucky you didnt bend/break any pins by strapping the heatsink in place or frying something, guess it was well designed more than user error allowed :D

Damn, not sure how that managed to happen on two different boards

That said you are probably lucky it never powered on like that since the pins could have arced or overheated.

What I find odd is that attaching your cooling solution did not force the processor into the socket the remainder of the way. And before you dismiss this as unlikely, consider the ease with which you can pull the processor out of the socket with a particularly tacky TIM.

What I find odd is that attaching your cooling solution did not force the processor into the socket the remainder of the way. And before you dismiss this as unlikely, consider the ease with which you can pull the processor out of the socket with a particularly tacky TIM.

Could be possible that after closing the lever, the socket prevents the pins from going down any further to make contact. But all in all, it sounds like a terrible and scary situation. There was also the case of even getting enough pressure on the CPU for AM4 in the first place from CPU cooler vendors.

At least you've found a solution to your problem. I finally assembled my pc and keep getting stuck on a 0d boot code with my Crosshair VI. I currently have some Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 ram installed, but either the ram is doa or the c6h just won't play well with it. So now I have about $2,000 in paper weight until my new ram shows up and it, hopefully, will post.

Back