Issues with aspect ratios on dual displays, 7900GTX

Blitzrommel

2[H]4U
So I remember in the past, setting up two montiors with dissimilar aspect ratios (Like a 4:3 and a 16:9) was reasonably easy, but ever since nvidia started using that lame control panel of theirs, this has become impossible - I just can't for the life of me set up these two displays the way I want them. One does 1600x1200 and the other does 1920x1200. I wanted to do a horizontal span, but not to stretch maximized windows across both screens.

Am I missing something, or is there a way to revert to the easier method where Windows would actually see two displays instead of one? (Am I being clear enough?)

What operating system? I had no issues doing this about 3 months ago on a laptop using nVidia's drivers. I used the Windows XP Display control panel to set it up, not the nVidia Control Panel. That said, even in Vista you're not forced to use the nVidia Control Panel.

Jeremy

You want dual-view I believe...

Depends on what your drivers are I believe, I'd try reinstalling them. I think my Nvidia ones did that to me one time, but reinstalling fixed it...

What operating system? I had no issues doing this about 3 months ago on a laptop using nVidia's drivers. I used the Windows XP Display control panel to set it up, not the nVidia Control Panel. That said, even in Vista you're not forced to use the nVidia Control Panel.

Jeremy

XP Professional.

Yeah that's what I used to do, set it up in the Display control panel... But it seems nowadays the newer nVidia drivers force the monitor to be treated as one display. Is there a way to change this? Is there a different version of drivers I should be installing besides the most recent?

You should not be haivng issues.

I have two monitors with diferant resolutions.

I did this under XP pro... curently vista.

Are you setting them up as individual monitors? Or trying to do it as one big monitor? I forget nvidia's vocabulary at the moment.

I always have done each monitor seperately and not had problems in windows. An occasional game here and there.... but not in the recent past... developers are getting sued tot he idea that oeple do have multiple monitors at home.

Have you tried a clean isnstall of your chipset and vid drivers? Chipset first?

You should not be haivng issues.

I have two monitors with diferant resolutions.

I did this under XP pro... curently vista.

Are you setting them up as individual monitors? Or trying to do it as one big monitor? I forget nvidia's vocabulary at the moment.

I always have done each monitor seperately and not had problems in windows. An occasional game here and there.... but not in the recent past... developers are getting sued tot he idea that oeple do have multiple monitors at home.

Have you tried a clean isnstall of your chipset and vid drivers? Chipset first?

Yes on the reinstalls.

I'm TRYING to set them up as individual monitors, that's the thing. Windows only shows one display being possible, regardless of whether I have it connected or not. I mean, it's not like it doesn't work at all, since I can set it up using nvidia's control panel... I dunno, this is making me crazy. Maybe UltraMon will force them to be recognized as two independent displays.

Update - according to this, DualView is exactly what I don't want.

You probably have your monitors configured as a span which will treat them as one giant monitor. Right click your desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel. Under Display\Set Up Multiple Monitors set it to Dual View. Right click your desktop and select Properties and go to Settings. You should have two displays that you can configure independently. I am running a 4:3 and 16:10 monitor and that is how it is configured.

It turns out it was the HDTV I was using... Used another one and it works fine.

That, and I connected two additional LCD screens, four screens of loving!

Back