Issue with Windows 8 & home network streaming

entropism

2[H]4U
Up until recently, I've had a home network set up between my desktop, 2 laptops, and a WD Live+ box with an external HDD hooked up to it. I was able to use my desktop to move files over the network directly to that external, so I can watch them on my TV. And then, I reinstalled windows...

Now, I'm trying to get everything set up again, and googling told me to activate streaming through WMP. When I try, it says that "media streaming cannot turn on" and directs me to services.msc. I've set all the services they mentioned to automatic, but I still can't get anything fixed. I'd rather not reinstall windows (again), but as a last resort I guess I'd have to. Anyone have any suggestions, or need further info?

Update: Redid my homegroup, and I can:

1 - access files on my laptop through my desktop and vice versa.
2 - Access files on the external HDD connected to the WD live+ through the laptop, but NOT the desktop

The laptop was also a new reformat, after I upgraded from Win7 to Win8. Still can't seem to get streaming activated on the desktop though, not sure why.

Did the problems arise before or after 'upgrading' to win8? Several people have had network problems with 8.

Was working fine with Windows 8 pre reformatting. Works fine with Win 8 on the laptop. I'd prefer to stream from the desktop because it's a wired MOCA network, rather than wireless. MUCH faster.
Honestly, it's not a networking issue, as much as it's "Windows refuses to allow streaming to turn on" issue. The network and homegroup are sound, something in the OS has gone wonky though.

As I said in the first post, that doesn't work. All the dependencies are running and set to automatic. When I try to start "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service", I get an "Error 1068: The Dependency Service or Group Failed To Start"

Dependencies are:

*SSDP Discovery
*UPNP Device Host

Home-groups have always been kind of unpleasant in my experience. Have you tried using traditional sharing through permissions instead?

If I knew how, I'd be more than happy to do it. It doesn't seem to be a homegroup issue, as the laptop can enable streaming and sharing just fine, but when has logic & reason ever come into play with Windows networking issues?

I dont suggest sharing everything out using Windows. It just always seems to have problems. Maybe try using Servioo or another program to share it out.

Ive been using Servioo for the last year with 0 problems. I love it.

As I said in the first post, that doesn't work. All the dependencies are running and set to automatic. When I try to start "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service", I get an "Error 1068: The Dependency Service or Group Failed To Start"

Dependencies are:

*SSDP Discovery
*UPNP Device Host

Those are the first two services I always disable on any new windows installation.

Back